The discovery thread!
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #90,841 of 107,126

Moondrop May with launching price of $65!

That DSP cable, build quality, and accessories? Potential market disruptor out there! I thought they'd priced much higher, now it's all down to the sound!

Really good price for planars.

Moondrop doing it big for value!

My guess is they are gonna have a treble emphasis.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #90,842 of 107,126
Hello to all.
Here is my humble opinion about a very good dongle, the Aune Yuki.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aune-yuki.26866/reviews#review-32401

Aune Yuki 17_r.jpg

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #90,843 of 107,126
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #90,844 of 107,126
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #90,845 of 107,126
@Redcarmoose Reading back through the thread and I can see you really enjoyed the Fudu. Would you say there’s much difference between the Fudu and Hype 2?
The Hype2 can be driven off anything. Where the Fudu needs special care in how you feed it. Meaning the Fudu got an amazing first impression from me, but later I took off a point due to the Fudu sounding thin from a phone. A big issue for me in reviewing can be note-weight, where if it is consistent and nice I will often fall in love with an IEM. Add good timbre and I’m pretty happy regardless of tune. Meaning I don’t actually have a target curve and can get into a number of replays. Where the Hype2 is thicker and meatier in replay all the time, more low-end and larger stage size, even from a phone. Where the Fudu is an incredibly likable IEM as long as you get it what it is asking for, then your fine, but I would say the Hype2 is simply more well rounded. Though both do share a number of similarities due to both having carefully done smooth top-ends, both being generally warm IEMs and of course both being Hybrids. Both IEMs here kinda represent a new wave in well done BA timbre. Where due to both having incredible tone performance characteristics of the BAs............we get more real sound with less steeliness, add to that the fact that the BAs are in-a-way down-tuned into the mix, which also subdues any off BA attributes........and we are styling! Both IEMs here are fantastic tuned examples of just how far we have come in 2023. And while not offering all the treble details through delineation and itemization of elements, both IEMs run with this smoother treble getting points for being harmonically accurate.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #90,846 of 107,126
Really good price for planars.

Moondrop doing it big for value!

My guess is they are gonna have a treble emphasis.
It's not a "planar"

Its a Square-Planar-Driver. Technology ¿developed by KINERA?

Just to clarify.

Dec 10, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #90,847 of 107,126
Could anyone compare BQEYZ wind to the FOTMs EA1000 and OD200?
BQEYZ Wind is a warmish-neutral with superb technical capabilities, OD200 has two sound signatures, Bright mild-u shaped and warm u-shaped. OD200 is easier to drive.

I have test the EA1000 for few minutes, its more like a Tanchjim Oxy with a tinge of bright and more improvement of its technical capabilities. Quite resolving for a single DD set.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #90,848 of 107,126
Could anyone compare BQEYZ wind to the FOTMs EA1000 and OD200?
My take: the Wind is quite hard to get to play at its best. It needs plenty of power, ideally a warm source and carful choice of tips. If you get it wrong it is bright and unimpressive, but when it plays its best it has a huge immersive sound with a powerful bass.

The EA1000 is naturally bright, but that can be tamed with tip and cable choices. The details and timbre are great, but the real star of the show is the passive radiator. It adds a hint of reverb to the sound, in a very musical way. The effect is subtle, but on top of a great and well tuned DD it really takes the EA1000 to the next level.

The OD200’s claim to fame is a lovely timbre. It just makes everything sound good. I found the stock cable, while beautiful, held it back. There is also a bit too much energy in the upper mids, which needed to be tamed for my taste. Once the mids were dealt with using tips & cable, it’s a lovely and versatile IEM.

All 3 are superior IEMs, but the Wind and OD200 need at least a little effort to sound their best. If you want to have something very different and don’t mind putting in the effort, go for the Wind. If you want a warm and easy sound to listen to, OD200. If you want a great blend of technical performance and tonality, with a unique twist, EA1000.

If I had to recommend just 1 without knowing anything about the listener, it would be the EA1000.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #90,850 of 107,126
Headphones.com folks really do not give us the uncompensated graph any more, aren’t they?

Anyhow, a few IEMs that have rather nice tonality recently has been “task failed successfully” when it comes to Harman adherence. Time for Sean Olive to update the target with new gear.

Edit: Listener’s review is awesome, btw. Gold mine for audio nerds / geeks.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #90,851 of 107,126
Headphones.com folks really do not give us the uncompensated graph any more, aren’t they?

Anyhow, a few IEMs that have rather nice tonality recently has been “task failed successfully” when it comes to Harman adherence. Time for Sean Olive to update the target with new gear.
They do it from what I know to make a push for better data and to make it better for reading but I'll be honest, I'm in no way use to it at all. I'm all for change if it's actually beneficial and according to these guys, it is! But I still can't get my head around it.

I'm hoping to learn more though! Not going to push the message away.

Also its a very good review, very well done and covers a lot of valuable information I find a lot of reviews don't talk about.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #90,852 of 107,126
They do it from what I know to make a push for better data and to make it better for reading but I'll be honest, I'm in no way use to it at all. I'm all for change if it's actually beneficial and according to these guys, it is! But I still can't get my head around it.

I'm hoping to learn more though! Not going to push the message away.

Also its a very good review, very well done and covers a lot of valuable information I find a lot of reviews don't talk about.
I have no question about the technical validity (partly because I have no technical expertise in the area :dt880smile: ), but I’m old and stubborn and I need my uncompensated graph. In my head, the uncompensated graphs are automatically transformed into a compensated ones against a Harman-ish preference target anyway.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the calculation behind the scene of these graphs. It would be great to see the formula, or just open source the thing like CrinGraph. I don’t like to be told that “sound between these is gud, trust science (OBEY)” That’s how we create mistrust in science in the first place. Resolve mentioned that I missed a video where he explained everything. Need to go through headphones.com channel and find that video.

If it were me, I would just show an uncompensated graph against the target and shaded preference areas, and let people read for themselves. Readers from this community are not that incompetent that they need you to point out: “see on this grey area? Sound in here is gud. See this line? Higher than the line means louder”. They can read the graph themselves.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #90,853 of 107,126
It's my understanding that Headphones.com people have a plan to show raw measurements but they want to figure out a way to do it in a way that doesn't result in people comparing measurements across different measuring rigs.

And I don't think they're saying that things sound good if they're within the grey areas in the graph. I think a good way to think of them is that if the graph is within the gray area for a part of the frequency response, it'll likely be inoffensive for most listeners. Outside of that, it might get boomy, anemic, thin, honky, sibilant, etc. I find that their method of graphing is less prescriptive of "good sound" than the more standard way of comparing to a target.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #90,854 of 107,126
... I think a good way to think of them is that if the graph is within the gray area for a part of the frequency response, it'll likely be inoffensive for most listeners…
It certainly can be! If the grey area is specific to the device measured and not the target, it could instead represent variance experienced during measuring

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #90,855 of 107,126

Users who are viewing this thread

Back