The discovery thread!
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #90,422 of 107,010
Got the EPZ 530 off Aliexpress at a discounted price.

EPZ 1.jpeg

This is a 5 BA setup - dual Sonion 38AM007 handles the bass, 1 x Sonion 2389 takes care of the midrange and the treble is settled by a Shengyang ED05 BA + E50DT BA.

The shells are fashioned from wood and come in an exotic Mamba green or lava orange hue.

Ergonomics are excellent, one of the best fitting IEMs, and isolation can hit near 30 dB passive isolation as it is not vented.

Easily driven, amplification is not 100% neeeded.

EPZ 2.jpeg

The stock cable is a 16 core gold-silver pallidum alloy, with 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm, 4.4 mm terminals are provided. Comes in a nice wooden box.

Tonally, the EP530 sports a V-shaped sound. This set is superbly technical, with a holographic soundstage and excellent micro-details, you can pick small nuances in the music. Imaging is pinpoint and instrument separation is very spacious. It is probably one of the most resolving midFI IEMs.

EPZ 530.jpg

Surprisingly there is not too bad BA timbre, with just a bit of BA bass (not as much decay as traditional DD bass), but it extends deeply in the sub-bass.

It lies a bit on the bright side, so perhaps treble sensitive folk might need to adjust this area with source pairing and eartips, or consider alternative options. The 530 has a similar graph to the crowd-favourite Kinera Celest Phoenix Call, except the EP530 is in a way more superior league for technicalities.

EPZ 530 versus Phoenix Call.jpg

This set is definitely one for technical junkies.

Will do some more testing and report back, but I think it can give sets like the Moondrop Variations and co a run for their money.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #90,423 of 107,010
Got the EPZ 530 off Aliexpress at a discounted price.

EPZ 1.jpeg

This is a 5 BA setup - dual Sonion 38AM007 handles the bass, 1 x Sonion 2389 takes care of the midrange and the treble is settled by a Shengyang ED05 BA + E50DT BA.

The shells are fashioned from wood and come in an exotic Mamba green or lava orange hue.

Ergonomics are excellent, one of the best fitting IEMs, and isolation can hit near 30 dB passive isolation as it is not vented.

Easily driven, amplification is not 100% neeeded.

EPZ 2.jpeg

The stock cable is a 16 core gold-silver pallidum alloy, with 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm, 4.4 mm terminals are provided. Comes in a nice wooden box.

Tonally, the EP530 sports a well-balanced V-shaped sound. This set is superbly technical, with a holographic soundstage and excellent micro-details, you can pick small nuances in the music. Imaging is pinpoint and instrument separation is very spacious. It is probably one of the most resolving midFI IEMs.

EPZ 530.jpg

Surprisingly there is not too bad BA timbre, and there is a bit of BA bass (not as much decay as traditional DD bass), but it extends deeply in the sub-bass.

It lies a bit on the bright side, so perhaps treble sensitive folk might need to adjust this area with source pairing and eartips, or consider alternative options. The 530 has a similar graph to the crowd-favourite Kinera Celest Phoenix Call, except the EP530 is in a way more superior league for technicalities.

EPZ 530 versus Phoenix Call.jpg

This set is definitely one for technical junkies.

Will do some more testing and report back, but I think it can give sets like the Moondrop Variations and co a run for their money.
Love that set!

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #90,424 of 107,010
Just spent the last 45 minutes graphing the CCA Rhapsody, for the sake of audiophiledom! Have a migraine now LOL.

CCA Rhapsody.jpg

So this pokemon of the week is a 4 BA + 2 DD setup. Has (surprise surprise) 4 tuning switches to grant 16 tuning options.

So the tuning switches (unlike some previous iterations) do work in changing the sound, mostly at the lower mids to bass.

Will do some testing and report back.

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #90,425 of 107,010
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #90,426 of 107,010
Just spent the last 45 minutes graphing the CCA Rhapsody, for the sake of audiophiledom! Have a migraine now LOL.

So this pokemon of the week is a 4 BA + 2 DD setup. Has (surprise surprise) 4 tuning switches to grant 16 tuning options.

So the tuning switches (unlike some previous iterations) do work in changing the sound, mostly at the lower mids to bass.

Where do we access this squig? It's my first hybrid and I'm getting to see how good the separation gets with multiple drivers and sound tubes at a reasonable budget.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #90,427 of 107,010

CCA Rhapsody.jpg

Too many permutation.....

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #90,428 of 107,010
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #90,429 of 107,010
Hello lads so I've received my Black Friday Haul, Hiby R6 Gen III DAP. And my current IEM is Kinera Imperial Urd, I love Urd's overall sound signature. Good Bass, lush mids and dark-ish treble, I'm quite treble sensitive and try to avoid fatiguing sets. However I find the Urd boring at times due to missing details and lack of treble extension, I really enjoyed the the treble of the BQEYZ Spring 2 for example.

I'm thinking about replacing my URD with the Penon 10th anniversary edition, as going by reviews it has more forward vocals and better treble extension, while still keeping the warm bassy profile of the URD. So should I get the Penon 10th anniversary, will it be a worthy upgrade or get a BQEYZ Wind instead along with my URD? Opinions will be really appreciated, cheers!

Attachments

• 20231205_183321-01.jpeg
    20231205_183321-01.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #90,430 of 107,010
Received this couple of hours back. So excited.

IMG_8697.jpeg

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #90,431 of 107,010
Hello lads so I've received my Black Friday Haul, Hiby R6 Gen III DAP. And my current IEM is Kinera Imperial Urd, I love Urd's overall sound signature. Good Bass, lush mids and dark-ish treble, I'm quite treble sensitive and try to avoid fatiguing sets. However I find the Urd boring at times due to missing details and lack of treble extension, I really enjoyed the the treble of the BQEYZ Spring 2 for example.

I'm thinking about replacing my URD with the Penon 10th anniversary edition, as going by reviews it has more forward vocals and better treble extension, while still keeping the warm bassy profile of the URD. So should I get the Penon 10th anniversary, will it be a worthy upgrade or get a BQEYZ Wind instead along with my URD? Opinions will be really appreciated, cheers!
I adore the 10th AE and highly rec it!
If you like lush vocals with a thick, textured bass and warm, smooth presentation, you can't do much better, IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #90,432 of 107,010
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #90,433 of 107,010
I adore the 10th AE and highly rec it!
If you like lush and vocals with a thick, textured bass and warm, smooth presentation, you can't do much better, IMO.
Thanks for the rec mate, how the treble extension though and also the technicalties? Do you find the EST's are doing their thing?

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #90,434 of 107,010

I would go for the Wind, or DUNU Falcon Ultra both will hit your preferences. I have the 10th as well might be too spicy 4 U

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #90,435 of 107,010
to be honest, as a producer, I'd be a lot more interested in such a device than in a CD player, as cassette player produce an imperfect and saturated sound which can gives interesting results on some tracks, but also as a producer, I already own a bunch of VSTs that does the same thing for me :D

That being said, if the sound is somewhat interesting, and if it's not too pricey, I might get one to experiment a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back