The discovery thread!
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #90,391 of 103,545
He's in the process of setting up a business so just taking orders from contracts at the moment. This cable improved the dynamics of the bass and opened up the mids giving more air compared to the included silver coated copper cable. 1.jpg
Hoolllllly crap, does that look stunning. What a match with the cable and IEMs.
The vast majority of IEMs that make it to market and onto our hobbyist radar are competent on most basic levels. All of these IEMs are good. That’s a big reason why you hear fewer negative reviews now.

My rule of thumb, though, is that being positive isn’t the same as being glowing. Most good IEMs are just a sidegrade on something I already have, and isn’t worth buying/keeping. But it’s good to be able to tell someone that is looking what is out there for them.
This man is speaking the truth right here.

I typically find a reviewer I trust and agree with on actual real-world listening and just kind of follow them. I've found that Timmy from Giz and ironically Dan from Giz have very similar tastes to my own and Dan (besides his obvious bias-driven glowing love for the Galileo) seems to be pretty straightforward in his reviews. He doesn't try to add on any glitz or glamour but instead, priorities being concise and structured whilst also adding in some really nice B-roll. I unfortunately cannot watch a few reviewers anymore due to their insane ramblings that last 40 minutes saying not much.
I'm never buying something directly from FatFreq again. They've pushed back their shipment of Scarlet Mini preorders again, without telling anyone. You have to keep hounding them on their website to get an automated email telling you they're pushing back shipments again and again.

FF is prioritizing shipments to retailers like MusicTeck before people who preordered on their site. I paid in full over 2 months ago and still no shipment of my order. They're also charging a 10% refund fee, which would be $62.70, just to cancel the preorder. This should be illegal but I don't think any country has laws against it, except maybe the EU?

Sorry for this small rant. Figured I'd let people know not to buy anything from FatFreq directly, unless you don't mind waiting months for your item to arrive, with no communication from FF. Other people have had similar stories with their orders of more expensive IEMs like the Grand Maestro and Maestro SE. I should've listene
Oh, dude, I am so sorry. That absolutely sucks ass. I only hope they make things right by throwing in some form of compensation like an extra cable or carrying case. I know nothing will fix the 2-month+ wait, but if they try to rectify it with something, at least it would show they're sorry. They're picking up a whole lot of steam recently so throwing in an extra accessory. with their preorder customers wouldn't be crazy imo. I hope you get your set soon, brother.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #90,392 of 103,545
Oh, dude, I am so sorry. That absolutely sucks ass. I only hope they make things right by throwing in some form of compensation like an extra cable or carrying case. I know nothing will fix the 2-month+ wait, but if they try to rectify it with something, at least it would show they're sorry. They're picking up a whole lot of steam recently so throwing in an extra accessory. with their preorder customers wouldn't be crazy imo. I hope you get your set soon, brother.
LOL they're not compensating jack sht. They couldn't care less about their customers, not even to communicate their delays or apologize for their fck ups.

The "free" upgrade cable and IEM case was part of their preorder deal. I've heard the upgrade cable is bad and people have bought $30 cables to make up for it's crapt*ness.

FF makes good IEMs but their customer service and business practices suck.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4674#post-17813526

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fat...cannons-and-more.964743/page-97#post-17844980

FF MusicTeck Scarlet Mini.jpg

FF MusicTeck Scarlet Mini 01.jpg

:middle_finger_disabled_jxuqgx:🖕:middle_finger_disabled_jxuqgx:FatFreq

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #90,393 of 103,545
The pics are great. I wonder the price. I’m thinking I between 35-110.
Considering the Thieaudio Hype2 has an extra BA at $299, I'd say Kiwi Ears would sell the Forteza at $249.

I know their Quintet is a Quadbrid at $219, but 2DD is the rage nowadays so they can sell it at $249.

Have you seen how many colorways you can get them in?!?!?!

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #90,394 of 103,545
Considering the Thieaudio Hype2 has an extra BA at $299, I'd say Kiwi Ears would sell the Forteza at $249.

I know their Quintet is a Quadbrid at $219, but 2DD is the rage nowadays so they can sell it at $249.

I don't think Kiwi Ears uses expensive, high quality drivers in their IEMs. They just know how to tune them well and make them look nice.

Forteza at $250 would be ridiculous in my opinion. Unless they use the best Sonion BA and high quality 10mm DDs, as well as tuning it to perfection.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #90,395 of 103,545

Don't forget that they already have the Quartet which is 2DD+2BA for $109. I'm hoping the Forteza is priced low enough to be a market disruptor.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #90,396 of 103,545
I don't think Kiwi Ears uses expensive, high quality drivers in their IEMs. They just know how to tune them well and make them look nice.

Forteza at $250 would be ridiculous in my opinion. Unless they use the best Sonion BA and high quality 10mm DDs, as well as tuning it to perfection.
Yea that's true. I just checked their current line-up and they're selling the Quartet, which is a 2DD (10mmx2)+2BA at $109. The Forteza is a 10mm DD + 6mm DD + BA.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #90,398 of 103,545
I'll go with sub-Quartet pricing (which was $109). Knocking off one BA and jacking the price up by 50% wouldn't go well with customers. Unless it's the AFUL Magic One BA driver!:ksc75smile:
Joke on you, that single driver kicks ass :dt880smile:

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #90,399 of 103,545
Dec 2, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #90,401 of 103,545
I'll go with sub-Quartet pricing (which was $109). Knocking off one BA and jacking the price up by 50% wouldn't go well with customers. Unless it's the AFUL Magic One BA driver!:ksc75smile:
This guessing game is fun and I like all the logic that has come-up in the recent posts. Somehow Kiwi ears never even comes close to imitating what they have put out so far. Yet look closely at the shell? I know nothing about who made what as far as internals, yet at times Kiwi ears does use name brand drivers. Though the shell is detailed like an over $150.00 set? Just my opinion. :)

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #90,402 of 103,545
I'm never buying something directly from FatFreq again. They've pushed back their shipment of Scarlet Mini preorders again, without telling anyone. You have to keep hounding them on their website to get an automated email telling you they're pushing back shipments again and again.

FF is prioritizing shipments to retailers like MusicTeck before people who preordered on their site. I paid in full over 2 months ago and still no shipment of my order. They're also charging a 10% refund fee, which would be $62.70, just to cancel the preorder. This should be illegal but I don't think any country has laws against it, except maybe the EU?

Sorry for this small rant. Figured I'd let people know not to buy anything from FatFreq directly, unless you don't mind waiting months for your item to arrive, with no communication from FF. Other people have had similar stories with their orders of more expensive IEMs like the Grand Maestro and Maestro SE. I should've listened to them.
That’s really upsetting. I always assumed that the direct orders on the websites get a priority but that’s really not the case.

Please post it on the FatFreq thread too. Let’s see what they have to reply to this.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #90,403 of 103,545
That’s really upsetting. I always assumed that the direct orders on the websites get a priority but that’s really not the case.

Please post it on the FatFreq thread too. Let’s see what they have to reply to this.
I thought when they were taking preorders and taking people's full payment of $627 ($642 with shipping), they had a lot of Scarlet Minis already made or about to be made.

I thought because it took them so long to release the Scarlet Mini, after announcing it long ago, they were ready to go into full production mode.

I thought FF sending out review units over 2 months ago meant the launch was eminent.

I thought the estimated timeframe they originally gave out wasn't a lie and they weren't going to keep delaying shipments without communication.

ScarletShippingDates.jpg

I didn't think anyone would charge a 10% fee to issue a refund for a PREORDER cancellation.

I thought wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #90,404 of 103,545
I thought when they were taking preorders and taking people's full payment of $627 ($642 with shipping), they had a lot of Scarlet Minis already made or about to be made.

I thought because it took them so long to release the Scarlet Mini, after announcing it long ago, they were ready to go into full production mode.

I thought FF sending out review units over 2 months ago meant the launch was eminent.

I thought the estimated timeframe they originally gave out wasn't a lie and they weren't going to keep delaying shipments without communication.

ScarletShippingDates.jpg

I didn't think anyone would charge a 10% fee to issue a refund for a PREORDER cancellation.

I thought wrong.
Yeah other stores doing too. I know Bloom does. Trust no one. :)

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #90,405 of 103,545
Man, that's wack af!
As someone who enjoys bass, they were on my "Maybe List" but they will be removed going forward.
Thanks for the heads up!

On a positive note, both my EA1000 and Penon Dome are nearly done with burn-in and I'll be able to give some more impressions within then next few days.
How long do you burn in? And do you burn in all iems or just certain drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back