The discovery thread!
Nov 27, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #89,851 of 104,217
I have gone through maybe 200 IEMs? I haven't yet found that perfect set. Now I've come close. The Aures come damn close! Very close! But they have huge shells, so fit wise, they fall short of ideal. Soundwise, they are almost as close to matching my preference as you can aurally get, but the fit is nitpicky, so I can't say they are the perfect set. Now the IE600 are perfect fits. I mean so perfectly snug, but the sound sig is not quite there for me. It lacks a tiny bit of bass articulation as well as top end clarity (aka it's a touch warmer than my liking). So I know the pull of settling on one set and running with it for awhile, but as for me personally, I haven't found that combination that satisfies me on all the most important fronts.
Oh for sure, my left ear is so finicky that there will almost assuredly never be a perfect set for me until I splurge for a custom. But even then, I’m not doing that blindly! It has to be the perfect set in every other way. And right now, that just isn’t the budget haha.

I just really want to be able to enjoy what I have a bit more. My LCD-2C got delivered this week and I am so satisfied with it that now I want the same for my IEMs and I just don’t feel like it yet. Frustrating.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #89,852 of 104,217
I got carried away this year. I went new and upcoming with the Wind, retro with Shozy 1.4, and decided to make my annual Dunu contribution. With all that I am excited to hear the Juzear 41T. It was nice to realize I actually owned the Final B3 last night. I could have a serious "yard sale" for my iems. And I may do that sooner than later.
Everyone here would undoubtedly help you get rid of some of that for the right price lol

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #89,853 of 104,217
Everyone here would undoubtedly help you get rid of some of that for the right price lol
I've had my eye on the 41t for awhile and i know I will probably eventually get one too.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #89,854 of 104,217
For 11.11, BF, and CM I've picked up 3 iems under $20. I got the Kiwi Ears Dolce, Cadenza, and the Zero2. Super grateful for the codes being shared and can't wait to rotate in some budget iems into my daily use!

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #89,855 of 104,217
For 11.11, BF, and CM I've picked up 3 iems under $20. I got the Kiwi Ears Dolce, Cadenza, and the Zero2. Super grateful for the codes being shared and can't wait to rotate in some budget iems into my daily use!
Good luck with CADENZA, I cant wear them for so long. That treble tuning kills me.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #89,856 of 104,217
I
I did something I didn't expect I would do and bought the CCA Rhapsody. I surprised myself on that one.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #89,857 of 104,217
I

I did something I didn't expect I would do and bought the CCA Rhapsody. I surprised myself on that one.
I've been hearing a lot about it and looked into it. Might pick one up later one. The switches scare me lol so many tuning options

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #89,858 of 104,217
Good luck with CADENZA, I cant wear them for so long. That treble tuning kills me.
I've actually had them before and if memory serves me I did enjoy their tuning. I sold them to my brother when I had the Quintet but later sold that too.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #89,860 of 104,217
You NAILED IT!! Absolutely had the same experience with my set of Sands. It takes a hell of a lot of work to tame that treble spike. The shout ruins many an experience. The detail retrieval is some of the best, as is the stage and imaging, but for metal and rock, which you mentioned, which is my main genres, the spikes with the guitars cymbals and hi hats, and the vocals just became too problematic, so I sold them off in favor of the Aures, and I don't regret the sale.
You're 100% right, I was kind of disappointed as well as I'm a fellow metalhead. But I'll see what I can do, I don't give up that easy. Don't really think I'll ever sell it either as I don't really like to sell any of my stuff. Luckily the Neon Pro is turning out to be a beast for metal so that offsets it nicely.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #89,861 of 104,217
Out of the blue i receive the upcoming upgrade modular cable from Simgot....with zero enthusiasm i open the box and was more than positively surprise by the quality of this cable. Very thick yet super soft, flexible unlike stiffer Tri GraceS.
Ive done fast mini comparaison with stock spc cable of EA1000, using same Questyle M15 source, single ended since stock cable is 3.5mm.
As always, it's no night and day difference that will suddenly transforrm your IEM into whole different beast, but the soundstage do open up both in tallness and wideness, sub bass has longer cleaner yet more vibrant sustain, overall stock cable sound a bit brighter and more excited and noisy in dynamic, vocal seem a bit compressed in center while with upgrade cable its wider and more transparent less peaky in loudness gain...track XOX from IAMDDB underline this bass dynamic and wider sub and slam and rumble headroom.
Mids are hint lusher, more natural, less thin and less brighten in timbre, less edgy too, while definition is as goo...in fact, slightly better since it feel more transparent...percussions sound fuller...
Overall macro dynamic is more holographic.
I was so sceptikal about this cable upgrade that i dont even answer PM of Simgot, so i didnt know i would receive this....and in all honnesty i'm impress...with me it's simple...i have so much cable that if i dont like stock on either for comfort or signal transmission i throw it away....i do this for stock cable and this new Simgot modular might become a new fav. way more comfy than Tri Grace S and excellent upgrade since built is better and it's modular.
It's not a cable that color tonality with euphonic distortion or mid bass warmth or treble gain spike....neutral yet suck out all the dynamic rendering of your IEM it seem, which is prime goal of a good cable imo.

i wonder what cable King @Dsnuts would think of this cable.

i own about 500 cables but only use 10 of them. this one is a keeper. goodbye Tri Grace S your too stiff and bented to be of any portable use now.

1701125184759.png
1701125162307.png
1701125147778.png
1701125126467.png

1701125210260.png

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #89,862 of 104,217
Out of the blue i receive the upcoming upgrade modular cable from Simgot....with zero enthusiasm i open the box and was more than positively surprise by the quality of this cable. Very thick yet super soft, flexible unlike stiffer Tri GraceS.
Ive done fast mini comparaison with stock spc cable of EA1000, using same Questyle M15 source, single ended since stock cable is 3.5mm.
As always, it's no night and day difference that will suddenly transforrm your IEM into whole different beast, but the soundstage do open up both in tallness and wideness, sub bass has longer cleaner yet more vibrant sustain, overall stock cable sound a bit brighter and more excited and noisy in dynamic, vocal seem a bit compressed in center while with upgrade cable its wider and more transparent less peaky in loudness gain...track XOX from IAMDDB underline this bass dynamic and wider sub and slam and rumble headroom.
Mids are hint lusher, more natural, less thin and less brighten in timbre, less edgy too, while definition is as goo...in fact, slightly better since it feel more transparent...percussions sound fuller...
I was so sceptikal about this cable upgrade that i dont even answer PM of Simgot, so i didnt know i would receive this....and in all honnesty i'm impress...with me it's simple...i have so much cable that if i dont like stock on either for comfort or signal transmission i throw it away....i do this for stock cable and this new Simgot modular might become a new fav. way more comfy than Tri Grace S and excellent upgrade since built is better and it's modular.
It's not a cable that color tonality with euphonic distortion or mid bass warmth or treble gain spike....neutral yet suck out all the dynamic rendering of your IEM it seem, which is prime goal of a good cable imo.

i own about 500 cables but only use 10 of them. this one is a keeper. goodbye Tri Grace S your too stiff and bented to be of any portable use now.

1701125184759.png1701125162307.png1701125147778.png1701125126467.png
1701125210260.png
500 cables? Are you running a hifi store yourself? That's too much inventory even for a store :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #89,863 of 104,217
This probably has to be one of the best single DD IEMs I have heard to date, the Softears Twilight. My double 11 purchase has been my absolute favourite for the past 2-3 days, I took my time just to share some initial impressions because, from the very first session I had with these, I was impressed from that very moment.
1.jpg
First of all, these look bigger in images and these are quite compact and fit me well. Secondly, the sound, it's quite balanced with a hint of added warmth. The bass is crisp, quite refined, fast and snappy as well. It has a decent amount of slam, I can't call these to lack slam completely, but I can't call them groundbreaking as well because i compared directly with Nightjar Singularity which has more slam and weight to the bass. Midrange is the charming thing here, it's absolutely lovely, clear, crisp, and well-defined. Vocals sound so good, I am someone who craves good vocals and I have found peace here with the Twilight. Treble is very well done, quite smooth and decently extended. Not as extended as the Sony IER Z1R, but has a good enough response which is enjoyable and smooth. No sibilance, no harshness, no shoutiness, a smooth and lovely sounding set the Softears Twilight is.

Another key point where I loved the Twilight for the past few days, is the imaging and separation, these are solid performers with excellent imaging. Instrument placement, the left-right stereo channel separation is very well executed.

Some cons so far, a little more slam in the bass, and a little more extension in the treble wouldn't have hurt anybody :)
2.jpg
Some small comparisons:-
Twilight vs Nightjar Singularity:-

These both sound quite good, both are absolutely amazing in their own way. Just some small thoughts of mine during the past few days:-
Singularity.jpg
>Bass slam of the Singularity is hella good, its fun, its grooving, while the Twilight sounds crispier in that regard it doesn't have so much of slam.
>Instruments, Vocals, and everything on the Singularity feels richer and denser, they have a sense of extra added weight to them. Twilight's notes are slightly leaner in comparison.
>Vocals on both the sets are slightly on the forward point, I love both of them, but Singularity's vocals have a bit of heft to them.
>Treble on the Twilight feels a little more defined than the Singularity, I would say Singularity's denser note cause it to lack some details in the treble region.
>Twilight's bass response is faster and crispier than the Singularity.

Twilight vs D's Audio Fire Phoenix:-
Fire Phoenix is a flagship-level single DD from a boutique brand in Hongkong. This one retails for 1300$, I found this one to be airier and clearer than the Singularity when i compared these two last week. Here are my thoughts on Twilight.
fire phoenix.jpg
>Mid-bass on the Fire Phoenix is a little strong and a little boomy at times, Twilight maintains better control in that regard.
>Fire Phoenix has slightly denser notes in the midrange, not as dense or hefty as the Singularity, but definitely slightly heftier than the Twilight.
>Twilight has better coherency between the three frequencies, they sound more balanced on the Twilight.
>The soundstage of the Fire Phoenix is massive, Twilight is a little immersive in that regard.

I have also compared it against Beyerdynamic Xelento Gen 2, but this post is getting long lol, will post that comparison later on.

Final Words:-
Well, That's about it. Twilight is a lovely IEM, it's an IEM which finds a good place in my list of recommendations, not just as a single DD but as an IEM as a whole as well. It's honestly a little difficult to find cons on this one. I am actually happy I went ahead with these for my solo Double 11 purchase :)
Nice writeup! Mine came in a few days ago too and I'm loving it. I think it's the IEM that's closest to an open-back headphone for me. The Twilight has this sense of airiness with its soundstage and it goes beyond what my other IEMs can do. For example, when you get a big bass slam and the sub bass rumbles then decays, it feels like it's being dispersed around my headspace instead of just around my ears. It's hard to explain, but it's something I haven't experienced with IEMs before.

I don't have a bass monster IEM like the Singularity to compare it to, but I think the Twilight's bass is pretty satisfying. The stock cable is pretty bad imo so I switched to the 4w copper cable that came with my Symphonium Crimson. I still need to cable roll some more, but I think I'll end up using it with an Effect Audio cable or a cable that has no earhooks to get the best fit.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #89,864 of 104,217

1701125184759.png1701125162307.png1701125147778.png1701125126467.png
1701125210260.png
Looks like Simgot is trying to maximize the sound of the EA1000. I bet it will do the same for the EA500 and EA200. It should be a nice upgrade from the GraceS. Which is not the most resolving of cables. That is a bit of a surprise as I had no idea Simgot was making cables.

Speaking of EA1000. I will be posting my views on them soon. EA1000 has been a big surprise for me this year but not one that is perfect. Been playing with the EA500 filter set to get the tonal balance I am looking for. Outstanding IEM nonetheless.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #89,865 of 104,217
I

Actually tempted by those. Got Castor bass and D-fi cheap during the sale too.:rolling_eyes:

Given the attention span of the ChiFi market, they should be trying to get rid of them by the spring sales.

(will have the pro2 ultra max version out by then) :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back