The discovery thread!
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #89,191 of 103,549
Have the OD200. nice box and accessories. Midrange sweet, but Bass is shy. Needs about 100 hours of breakin. Notes mot full like EA1000.
Right out of the box, OD200 is not full flavored like EA 1000 which is full noted and bassy, ready to rock and roll. Bass on EA1000 gets smoother and balanced with breakin. OD200 gets more bass and somewhat fuller notes, OD200 has Chifi sound and EA1000 sounds like much more expensive IEMs discussed on Watercolor thread.
Let’s agree to disagree here about the OD200 sounding typical Chi-Fi. This tuning is very refined and controlled. It could be tuned by European manufacturers too. Sure, if you compare 2 IEMs with quite different tuning, one might come lighter in sound than the other. Maybe are the EA1000 « better » than the OD200, but in no case the OD200 sound Chi-Fi.

I actually am a basshead and I don’t miss anything in the bass department with the OD200. They require the silver filters and a great source, neutral or slightly warm, but here too, matter of taste and synergy.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #89,192 of 103,549
Can anyone explain why the Orivieti OD200 sounds so strange, muffled, far and muddy, lacking midrange and technicalities in this sound demo? Just compare it to any other IEM in the demo list on the right... it's heartbreaking and definitely at odds with the rampant hype-train that's taking everyone on board here.

I also add the thought I had about the Aful MagicOne, because reading here and there, it sounds to me like when someone talking about industrial design, to define a concept that inspires future lines, an "exercise in style". But an exercise in style is never commercialized. it is a sort of experiment, a prototype source of inspiration to improve. So the Aful team, who I respect for their willingness and skill in experimenting, found an innovative engineering solution making just one BA sound decent. Careful: decent, NOT very good. This was so they could say: "It was extremely difficult, but here's the magic! And if we can do this with one BA, imagine what we could do with the right components for future models...". But I am not paying for this experiment with Monopoly money and given the competitiveness of the market out there, I buy it because it is suggested to me that it's better, different or innovative than other more expensive products... even if actually there's something much more valid in that very same price range and so, it makes no sense.
Therefore, reading or hearing that the MagicOne is halfway between the P5 and the P8 leads to an incorrect evaluation, in my opinion. Rather, from what it's timidly coming out of the latest reviews, it would certainly seem inferior to P5 and possibly overpriced. Or rather, you're paying for the engineering and effort, but the product is just mediocre.

I really appreciated ToneDeafMonk when he clearly said that Aoshida E20 sounds better and more correctly than Chopin, because he was able to compare them and thanks to his experience he expressed himself critically and sincerely, regardless of the price range or the hype factor.

Same for another honest YouTube review on BQEYZ Wind, which made me rethink how I should spend my money.

Long story short: be critical, be objective, selective and honest, make comparisons, because not everything out there sounds fantastic. Not everything can have 4 or 5 stars. I think this is what we need most in this crazy hobby that has an incredible market of innovation and research, always constantly growing and improving.
And in particular thanks to the more experts and their skills. Thank you for helping those who know less than you and have fewer devices and IEMs than you. Help us extricate ourselves from that jungle out there, otherwise we'll get lost.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #89,193 of 103,549
Can anyone explain why the Orivieti OD200 sounds so strange, muffled, far and muddy, lacking midrange and technicalities in this sound demo? Just compare it to any other IEM in the demo list on the right... it's heartbreaking and definitely at odds with the rampant hype-train that's taking everyone on board here.

I also add the thought I had about the Aful MagicOne, because reading here and there, it sounds to me like when someone talking about industrial design, to define a concept that inspires future lines, an "exercise in style". But an exercise in style is never commercialized. it is a sort of experiment, a prototype source of inspiration to improve. So the Aful team, who I respect for their willingness and skill in experimenting, found an innovative engineering solution making just one BA sound decent. Careful: decent, NOT very good. This was so they could say: "It was extremely difficult, but here's the magic! And if we can do this with one BA, imagine what we could do with the right components for future models...". But I am not paying for this experiment with Monopoly money and given the competitiveness of the market out there, I buy it because it is suggested to me that it's better, different or innovative than other more expensive products... even if actually there's something much more valid in that very same price range and so, it makes no sense.
Therefore, reading or hearing that the MagicOne is halfway between the P5 and the P8 leads to an incorrect evaluation, in my opinion. Rather, from what it's timidly coming out of the latest reviews, it would certainly seem inferior to P5 and possibly overpriced. Or rather, you're paying for the engineering and effort, but the product is just mediocre.

I really appreciated ToneDeafMonk when he clearly said that Aoshida E20 sounds better and more correctly than Chopin, because he was able to compare them and thanks to his experience he expressed himself critically and sincerely, regardless of the price range or the hype factor.

Same for another honest YouTube review on BQEYZ Wind, which made me rethink how I should spend my money.

Long story short: be critical, be objective, selective and honest, make comparisons, because not everything out there sounds fantastic. Not everything can have 4 or 5 stars. I think this is what we need most in this crazy hobby that has an incredible market of innovation and research, always constantly growing and improving.
And in particular thanks to the more experts and their skills. Thank you for helping those who know less than you and have fewer devices and IEMs than you. Help us extricate ourselves from that jungle out there, otherwise we'll get lost.
In this sound demo it really does sound strange. But I can assure you that the OD200 sounds noticeably different and better than this. Here it sounds compressed and just bad. OD100 sounds better than this. But if you actually listen to them, OD200 is noticeably better in all aspects than OD100.

I think may be it is because of the YouTube video compression that the quality worsened. Again, I assure you, OD200 does not sound this bad. I think there are now about 4 people including me who are unanimously praising the OD200. It does not happen if they do not have the merits for it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #89,194 of 103,549
Oh no, another person using pointless "sound demos" to make an opinion on an IEM they've never actually used before.

FYI YouTube sound demos mean jack $h*t. Anyone using them to come to a conclusion about how IEMs actually sound is sorely misinformed.

Boggles my mind how people think listening to an IEM through a coupler posted on YouTube means you now know what it actually sounds like. Worse than people who only use graphs to "review" IEMs.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #89,196 of 103,549
I put in an order yesterday too so that makes three single DD IEMs purchased within the past week.

If anyone else is going to pick one up, make sure you use the 10% off promo code that @F700 provided.

Code: EB10

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #89,197 of 103,549
I put in an order yesterday too so that makes three single DD IEMs purchased within the past week.

If anyone else is going to pick one up, make sure you use the 10% off promo code that @F700 provided.

Code: EB10

Damn, I missed on that code, oh well... the price I pay for not paying enough attention I guess...

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #89,198 of 103,549
Oh no, another person using pointless "sound demos" to make an opinion on an IEM they've never actually used before.

FYI YouTube sound demos mean jack $h*t. Anyone using them to come to a conclusion about how IEMs actually sound is sorely misinformed.

Boggles my mind how people think listening to an IEM through a coupler posted on YouTube means you now know what it actually sounds like. Worse than people who only use graphs to "review" IEMs.
So, you rely exclusively on the phrasing and philosophizing of written reviews? A little restrictive I would say. Or do you buy them all to decide? Not everyone has infinite financial resources.
In any case I tried to express my point of view in a constructive way. You were quite presumptuous and offensive and I don't think it's a useful attitude in this context.
Thanks anyway for your personal point of view.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #89,199 of 103,549
I asked about a good iem for electronics and I appreciate the responses. I get the hype for the choices mentioned. Is the A5000 better than the E series (4000 and 5000)? And as I look at a target iem to save for the Top, comes to mind, as well as the Maestro Mini or Scarlet. Any other obvious standout iems that are under $1000 that are good all around performers?
Sound Rhyme DTE900
If you like energetic and high resolving sound, with technical impactful low end. Maestro Mini can not touch the bass quality and details.

I also like to use sets that are more relaxing in the upper mids and treble for some electronica. As some electronica styles can be quite unforgiving in the ears. Then what comes to mind is ISN EST50 and AüR Audio Aurora.

Tbh there is plenty of good choices, but my pick would always be a set with DD for the low end.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #89,200 of 103,549
I asked about a good iem for electronics and I appreciate the responses. I get the hype for the choices mentioned. Is the A5000 better than the E series (4000 and 5000)? And as I look at a target iem to save for the Top, comes to mind, as well as the Maestro Mini or Scarlet. Any other obvious standout iems that are under $1000 that are good all around performers?

Sound Rhyme DTE900
If you like energetic and high resolving sound, with technical impactful low end. Maestro Mini can not touch the bass quality and details.
+1 for the Sound Rhyme DTE900. It's my favorite under $1k.

Edit: Make sure you check out the custom faceplates. It's like an extra $45 more for them, but I think it's worth it seeing the customs that other members have posted here.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #89,201 of 103,549
Damn, I missed on that code, oh well... the price I pay for not paying enough attention I guess...
No no, contact Marco Lin through the shop, he surely will make a step in your direction.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #89,202 of 103,549
So, you rely exclusively on the phrasing and philosophizing of written reviews? A little restrictive I would say. Or do you buy them all to decide? Not everyone has infinite financial resources.
In any case I tried to express my point of view in a constructive way. You were quite presumptuous and offensive and I don't think it's a useful attitude in this context.
Thanks anyway for your personal point of view.
No, I don't rely on anything other than my own ears to make an opinion on the sound quality of an IEM. Actual reviews from people who physically had the IEMs in their ears for longer than a day or two informs me on whether or not an IEM is worth paying attention to. If enough reviews all say the same thing, then it will add to the credibility of opinions of said IEM.

Not everyone has infinite financial resources, which is why not everyone tells other people what all IEMs sound like, without having them in their ears first. You on the other hand, used a sound demo on YouTube to talk trash about an IEM you never had in your ears before, as well as trashing actual reviewers who you believe is unduly hyping up the IEM you think you have a clue of how it sounds. You're not being constructive at all. You dismissed and trash talked an IEM you never heard yourself, which is idiotic and silly. Call it presumptuous or offensive, but it's the truth.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #89,203 of 103,549
No, I don't rely on anything other than my own ears to make an opinion on the sound quality of an IEM. Actual reviews from people who physically had the IEMs in their ears for longer than a day or two informs me on whether or not an IEM is worth paying attention to. If enough reviews all say the same thing, then it will add to the credibility of opinions of said IEM.

Not everyone has infinite financial resources, which is why not everyone tells other people what all IEMs sound like, without having them in their ears first. You on the other hand, used a sound demo on YouTube to talk trash about an IEM you never had in your ears before, as well as trashing actual reviewers who you believe is unduly hyping up the IEM you think you have a clue of how it sounds. You're not being constructive at all. You dismissed and trash talked an IEM you never heard yourself, which is idiotic and silly. Call it presumptuous or offensive, but it's the truth.
🍿

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #89,204 of 103,549

I never understood the appeal of those Youtube sound demos.

You're listening to a song where you don't know anything about the source. Is it from a 90's mixtape? Is it a low bitrate mp3? Is it a lossless FLAC file?

You're listening to that song and you don't know anything about the microphone that's recording it. Is it a $10 mic? Is it a $100 streamer/podcast mic? Is it a $$$$$ studio mic?

....who knows what Youtube does with video and audio compression when the video is posted..

And last of all.. what are you listening to the Youtube video on? Your phone? Your budget IEMs? Your reference studio monitors?

Even if the Youtuber has the highest end gear through each step of the way and you have the highest end gear listening to the demo, there's definitely sound degradation by the time it gets to your ears.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #89,205 of 103,549
Oh yes I was forgetting E5000 - incredible IEM, especially with power as I’ve recently discovered!

IMG_8773.jpeg
This tickles my fancy just by the looks alone and the very dark signature.

Are the midbass/low mids not too muddy/slow/thick? What sort of genres does it do well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back