The discovery thread!
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #87,451 of 103,945
Hey all,
I'm beginning to put a dent in my backlog after getting back from my wedding.
I have reviews up for the Moondrop Para, Moondrop FreeDSP, Dekoni x HiFiMan Cobalt, and Hidizs MS1 Galaxy up in my Head-Fi thread and on my blog.

_DSC8263-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
_DSC8214-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
_DSC7892-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
_DSC7113-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
And if you're on the fence about the Truthear Nova and don't already own a $300+ IEM, just get it. Full review coming up next.

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #87,452 of 103,945
Did the Penon Turbo go up in price?
It is listed @ $549 rn but I thought I remembered it being $499 when it launched?
Also, which is the correct website?
Both websites are owned by Penon, but https://penonaudio.com/ is the main one. The other one is old but still active, and was briefly the only active one while they changed hosts in the last few days.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #87,453 of 103,945
While I mourn the loss of the Tea 2, a budget friend arrives with the Kiwi Ears Melody.

First impressions are really solid, bass is plentiful if not all that clean.

the accessories are actually horrendous though. Throw that extra cable and tips on these folks cause good golly they are bad. Also no case? Compared to something like Truthear who is competing directly in their price ranges, Kiwi Ears really should focus on that side a little bit.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #87,455 of 103,945
While I mourn the loss of the Tea 2, a budget friend arrives with the Kiwi Ears Melody.

First impressions are really solid, bass is plentiful if not all that clean.

the accessories are actually horrendous though. Throw that extra cable and tips on these folks cause good golly they are bad. Also no case? Compared to something like Truthear who is competing directly in their price ranges, Kiwi Ears really should focus on that side a little bit.
Could you compare to the Legato? Recently picked one up and it's actually way better than I anticipated.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #87,456 of 103,945
Dang. Fudu and Orivetti coming in with the hottest designs of the year.

Hoping for some more exciting driver configs in a similar shell finish.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #87,457 of 103,945
Could you compare to the Legato? Recently picked one up and it's actually way better than I anticipated.
I’ve not heard the Legato unfortunately, but I feel the same way about the Melody so far for its price.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #87,458 of 103,945
First wired IEM-s from EarFun - EH100. Shells look really solid and accesories quite nice. The design is 2DD (10mm Bio-Diaphragm and 6,8mm Liquid Crystal Diaphragm) + 1BA, so it fits in with current trends. No switches, but interchangeable nozzles instead. The price is 99$, but I bet there will be some coupons available soon.

https://www.myearfun.com/headphones/earfun-eh100-hi-fi-earphones

093qr38i8y5.jpg
these are identical to Shanling Sono, even the configuration and nozzles:
SHANLING SONO Headphones Wired Earbuds,Hi-Res 2DD+1BA IEMs,Triple Dynamic Hybrid Lossless Earphones,2 pin 0.78mm,3.5mm Plug,Two Pair Replaceable Tunning Nozzles

1697688363913.png

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #87,459 of 103,945
Did the Penon Turbo go up in price?
It is listed @ $549 rn but I thought I remembered it being $499 when it launched?
Also, which is the correct website?
Hm it definitely was 499 and even at that price I don't feel it was selling as well as they would have hoped. I might be wrong.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #87,460 of 103,945
The Quintet cable almost falls in the same category. They need to buck up with all the competition.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #87,461 of 103,945
Maybe IEMs should have the option to buy the cable separately?

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #87,462 of 103,945
Oct 19, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #87,463 of 103,945
these are identical to Shanling Sono, even the configuration and nozzles:
SHANLING SONO Headphones Wired Earbuds,Hi-Res 2DD+1BA IEMs,Triple Dynamic Hybrid Lossless Earphones,2 pin 0.78mm,3.5mm Plug,Two Pair Replaceable Tunning Nozzles

Hmm. Doesn't surprise me. There was a time when all the TWS (Earfun being a pretty good one tbh) came out with the same designs. Fiil and Earfun being two I can think of. Still happens in volume but Earfun was particularly adept at it.

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #87,464 of 103,945
no*SOUND presenta…
bit.ly/nosoundhifireviews (full reviews here)

IVIPQ 12

1000012907-01.jpeg

DETAILS ON A BUDGET

RATING A

Let's face it, I didn't expect this performance for such a low price; a 2DD, accompanied by 6BA at this price... at least is a surprise. But when you forget about the disastrous packaging, and focus on the capsule and its performance, it really is a great piece of headset.

It has an increditble detail performance... I would like the bass to be a little elevated. Sometimes frequencies in the upper area feel “annoying”, but it is only in certain recordings and at some moments. For some time now I have been advocating presentations with elongated bass, accompanied by some emphasis on the midbass, like my beloved FA7s, and this V12 is a perfect mix between the fullBA from FiiO and the bass of the FH7s, but controlled. The ability to separate layers and elements, the texture it provides, along with the amount of detail is impressive.

Year 2023, Chi-fi still making impressive headphones at more affordable prices. So if you have the possibility of adding a “custom” cable for this incredible price, IVIPQ has my attention in the coming months.
Get me out of the dark chi-fi pit, please.

✅Incredible dynamics and speed
✅Impressive cable
✅Surgical in definition…

🟡…clumsy (at times) in presentation
🟡Somewhat thin female voices

⭕Low-level packaging
⭕Suffers from bad recordings or analytical sources

DETALLITOS BARATITOS

VALORACIÓN A

Vaya por delante que no esperaba este rendimiento por un precio tan contenido; un doble dinámico, acompañado por 6BA a este precio… sorprende. Pero cuando te olvidas del desastroso packaging, y te centras en la cápsula y el rendimiento de la misma, es de verdad un pedazo de auricular.
Tiene detalles, como que el bajo me gustaria un poco más elevado, y que en algunos momentos tiene frecuencias en la zona alta que se sienten “molestas”, pero es solo en determinadas grabaciones y algunos momentos. Hace algún tiempo que defiendo las presentaciones con bajos alargados, acompañados de cierto énfasis en el midbass, como mi amado FA7s, y este V12 es una mezcla perfecta entre este y el bajo del FH7s, pero controlado.
La capacidad de separación de capas y elementos, la textura que entrega, junto con la cantidad de detalles es impresionante. Año 2023, y cada vez hacen auriculares más impresionantes a precios más contenidos, si además le sumas la posibilidad de añadirle un cable “custom”, IVIPQ tiene mi atención en los próximos meses.
Sacadme del pozo del chifi-oscuro, por favor.

✅ Dinámica y velocidad increíbles
✅ Cable impresionante
✅ Quirúrgico en la definición...

🟡 ...torpe (por momentos) en la presentación
🟡 Voces femeninas algo finas

⭕ Packaging de bajo nivel
⭕ Sufre con grabaciones malas o fuentes analiticas

1000012902-01.jpeg
1000012900-01.jpeg
Those of you who are interested in this model - IvipQ Conch V12, can buy it between October 19 and 25, without cable and accessories (that is, only the IEMs), at the price of $130 (without taxes). Just ask the seller in private messages for a discount.
ivipQ Conch V12 2DD+6BA Flagship IEM With Upgraded Modular Cable HiFi Music Monitor Earphones Wired For Audiophiles Musicians - www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005936295714.html

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #87,465 of 103,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back