The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #87,211 of 103,801
Thanks for your answer. You try any?
I own and reviewed the MS5. Just sent the Variations back to a friend a few week back after daily driving it. The FH9 is what I have the least ear time as I tested it at a local hifi store only a few times.

@kmmbd is it deja vu? I'm sure that I have seen a simgot 1000 something with passive radiator a few months back.

Lovely photos, btw.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #87,212 of 103,801
@kmmbd is it deja vu? I'm sure that I have seen a simgot 1000 something with passive radiator a few months back.
You are not wrong. What you saw was the EA2000 which was more of an "experimental" release for them. The EA1000 is supposed to be all around a more mature product (using 2nd gen tech of PR and the main driver).

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #87,213 of 103,801
https://www.taobao.com/list/item/740059974165.htm
https://weibo.com/simgot?refer_flag=1005055013_
I have .........graphs?:ksc75smile:
0068IuXdgy1hi385gt2y6j30u02gnauq.jpg
0068IuXdgy1hi385spil5j30ku0u7teg.jpg
0068IuXdgy1hi385sqvxvj30ku1a0dm7.jpg
0068IuXdgy1hi385svg3mj30ku153n3c.jpg
0068IuXdgy1hi385svi67j30ku14un57.jpg
0068IuXdgy1hi385syibuj30ku1lfdqw.jpg

Information (I got) directly from SIMGOT.

"
The EA1000 continues the 1DD+1PR acoustic structure of the EA2000 with optimized dual-magnetic-circuit dual-cavity technology, which is a brand new 2nd generation of DMDC™. It gives the EA1000 a high-frequency quality that is rich in splendor, smoothness and extensibility.

The SDPGD™ (Sputtering Deposition Purple Gold Diaphragm with multi-layer base film) used in EA1000 is a diaphragm technology reserved by SIMGOT for other flagship dynamic products and with 3-years long research. It has the characteristics of high rigidity, high hardness, light weight, and elasticity required for low frequencies.

We also offer 3 types of tunings for the EA1000 and its target curves allow the EA1000 to cover "Pop", "Classical", "Instrumental", etc."

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #87,214 of 103,801
What's a passive radiator meant to do anyway?

Just read a review of the EA2000 and it didn't read like there was any point having it there.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #87,215 of 103,801
Excerpt from a PM regarding the SIMGOT EA500, TANGZU FUDU, SIMGOT EM6L and TANGZU Wan’er.

The EA500 weighs 11 grams, the FUDU weighs only 4 grams!

But with a phone the FUDU was lacking personality or involvement. Though maybe in a way the FUDU and Wan’er might be similar? Really the Sonus is brighter than the EM6L and more mid-forward. Where that single BA is ultimately utilized for everything. The EM6L is smoother and has a style of complex toned down midrange and beautiful imaging. Really to me the EM6L is like a better timbre (better imaging) Wan’er, also the FUDU and EM6L have a lot in common with bass, except you need that source to discover the FUDU bass. The EM6L has a laid back treble, still with sophistication due to all those BAs. But the EM6L tuning detours bad timbre due to the BAs being tuned down. Truly I went back to the Wan’er and the timbre wasn’t that great. Where this new league of Sonus, EM6L, EA500 and FUDU are world class. I would recommend any of the 3 and the fourth FUDU to a person with a good source.
Don't forget tip rolling. Fudu's bass can greatly differ from JVC Spiral Dots to Tri Clarion. Also i think the stock cable is really crap on the Fudu.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #87,216 of 103,801
What's a passive radiator meant to do anyway?

Just read a review of the EA2000 and it didn't read like there was any point having it there.

What is a passive radiator?
The Passive Radiator (PR) driver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)) is a unique transducer type, where it is placed in the same acoustic chamber as another "working" driver. The PR has has no voice coil or magnet, and isn't hooked up to an electrical circuit or other amplifier.

So when the other "working" driver vibrates and generates sound waves, the PR also catches these waves and vibrates at its own resonance (usually at the bass frequencies). In a way, it reduces the effort of the "working" driver, as the PR is utilizing unused byproduct sound waves to move.

Passive_radiator_enclosure.svg.png

This technology is used in speakers, where it is useful in smaller acoustic chambers where there is insufficient space for venting. In CHIFI IEMs, the recent Shuoer DZ4 and Simgot EA2000 purportedly utilizes this tech, but for it to work, the enclosure should be sealed together with the other driver, which apparently wasn't the case with the DZ4 (so that IEM was perhaps a bit gimmicky).

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #87,217 of 103,801
The Passive Radiator (PR) driver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)) is a unique transducer type, where it is placed in the same acoustic chamber as another "working" driver. The PR has has no voice coil or magnet, and isn't hooked up to an electrical circuit or other amplifier.

So when the other "working" driver vibrates and generates sound waves, the PR also catches these waves and vibrates at its own resonance (usually at the bass frequencies). In a way, it reduces the effort of the "working" driver, as the PR is utilizing unused byproduct sound waves to move.

This technology is used in speakers, where it is useful in smaller acoustic chambers where there is insufficient space for venting. In CHIFI IEMs, the recent Shuoer DZ4 and Simgot EA2000 purportedly utilizes this tech, but for it to work, the enclosure should be sealed together with the other driver, which apparently wasn't the case with the DZ4 (so that IEM was perhaps a bit gimmicky).

Right. It’s a speaker with no voice coil. JBL uses them in their Flip series of portable Bluetooth speakers:

https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+FLIP+5-.html

In that context they’re pretty effective at increasing the overall bass response of the speakers.

I’m curious about how the Simgot system works. I would have expected the radiator to emit sound through the main stem, not out the side of the shell.

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #87,218 of 103,801

Passive_radiator_enclosure.svg.png

My creative pebbles speakers also have these at the back. I kept resting my fingers on them so they might break very soon.

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #87,220 of 103,801
have spent much more time with the Tea 2 and I gotta say, I may not have a use for all these IEMs in my signature anymore haha. I know there are probably better sets for the price out now but I am just floored at how it’s sound signature has grown on me in the past week.

It’s not quite the bass head set I want (always open to reqs for this under 500 heh), but it’s such a great all-rounder. It handles every genre like a champ, and with such clarity without being bright. I’ve even been playing games like Cyberpunk on PC with them and been very happy with the performance (I’ve never been one for in ears and games).

I’m not saying run out and grab one right now, but I am certainly keeping an eye out for their next release; whatever that is.

Another note: really wish I didn’t bother so much in the lower budget space now. The upgrades in the two $300+ sets I tried are so massive, if you have more than one set less than $200, just save a bit more and go a bit bigger. It’s worth it.

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #87,221 of 103,801
have spent much more time with the Tea 2 and I gotta say, I may not have a use for all these IEMs in my signature anymore haha. I know there are probably better sets for the price out now but I am just floored at how it’s sound signature has grown on me in the past week.

It’s not quite the bass head set I want (always open to reqs for this under 500 heh), but it’s such a great all-rounder. It handles every genre like a champ, and with such clarity without being bright. I’ve even been playing games like Cyberpunk on PC with them and been very happy with the performance (I’ve never been one for in ears and games).

I’m not saying run out and grab one right now, but I am certainly keeping an eye out for their next release; whatever that is.

Another note: really wish I didn’t bother so much in the lower budget space now. The upgrades in the two $300+ sets I tried are so massive, if you have more than one set less than $200, just save a bit more and go a bit bigger. It’s worth it.
I've read that the Xenns Up has good bass

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #87,222 of 103,801
I've read that the Xenns Up has good bass
Love the way that one looks but, things have gotten so competitive in that price range and that one has been out for awhile like the Tea 2, I definitely want to see what they have up next. The Top looks fantastic as well (and also an incredible name lol).

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #87,223 of 103,801
Love the way that one looks but, things have gotten so competitive in that price range and that one has been out for awhile like the Tea 2, I definitely want to see what they have up next. The Top looks fantastic as well (and also an incredible name lol).
The Top has been on my must-try list for awhile but I haven't secured the funds lol. Hopefully I'll get to try it someday. I recently acquired the OG Tea because it's such a cult classic. It's not my favorite though. I would say a solid 6-7 out of 10. To me it has a very slight metallic/tinniness to the treble and it wears on me over time. Haven't heard the Tea 2 though.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #87,224 of 103,801
Soy dueño y revisé el MS5. Acabo de enviarle las variaciones a un amigo hace unas semanas después de conducirlo a diario. El FH9 es el que tengo menos tiempo escuchando, ya que lo probé en una tienda de alta fidelidad local sólo unas cuantas veces.

[RRHH][/HR]
@kmmbd ¿es un deja vu? Estoy seguro de que vi un Simgot 1000 y algo así con radiador pasivo hace unos meses.

Preciosas fotos, por cierto.
thanks! Could you compare Variations vs Ms5 in terms of technicalities as dynamics, soundstage, imaging ...

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #87,225 of 103,801

I just published a full review of the Astell & Kern SR35! You're invited to learn more about this overlooked gem here. :ksc75smile:
Completely agree with your conclusion about A&K SR35; in particular, pro's & con's.

I can highly recommend Dignis Gladius case for extra protection and a premium look. :relaxed:

verso.jpg
recto.jpg

Moreover the microSD card slot is accessible without removing the player from the case.
The official A&K case does not provide this feature.

As I also own A&K SR35 and Cayin N8ii, I find them both complementary IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back