The discovery thread!
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #87,121 of 103,945
KZ ZAT sales start.
(1DD+8BA, $80)
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-zat

We finally got the price at $80.
At least there is two ZAT review copy is out (one on Chris Love and another at Paul Wasabi)
So we might get review in the coming weeks.

Interesting choice of using 8mm DD, seems KZ is prioritizing clean and speedy DD over slamming one for this ZAT.

While Paul is still finagling with his third party measurement, this is the current one,

With all switch down looks like AriaSE (of course with major difference in setup, wont sound the same)

1696684600794.png

And here's in comparison ZAT with bassEQ-Up with one of the current "budget" hybrid kings

1696684720309.png

Very rolled of technicalities of 12khz and treble extension. Krila and Castor have much better extension compared with ZAT and 8mm DD isnt for me.
That graph also shown that EM6L is much better tuned.
I already pressed the PASS button.
Thanks anyway for the info.

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #87,122 of 103,945
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #87,123 of 103,945
20231008_212816.jpg

I think I finally done the eartips for my hype 2. The spinfit cp100. Yes I know the common wisdom is to not have the eartip nozzle be narrower than the earphone nozzle but this works for me somehow. I don't push it to the base but just let it sit at the lip so the phone nozzle actually sits further away, which I think helps add an extra sense of soundstage. Also didn't reduce the bass amount. Actually if anything for all the wide bore eartips I've tried made the bass flabbier, while this config gives the bass more punch.

I still got some azla sednafits max coming in to test but I'm pretty happy with this for now.

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #87,124 of 103,945
20231008_212816.jpg
I think I finally done the eartips for my hype 2. The spinfit cp100. Yes I know the common wisdom is to not have the eartip nozzle be narrower than the earphone nozzle but this works for me somehow. I don't push it to the base but just let it sit at the lip so the phone nozzle actually sits further away, which I think helps add an extra sense of soundstage. Also didn't reduce the bass amount. Actually if anything for all the wide bore eartips I've tried made the bass flabbier, while this config gives the bass more punch.

I still got some azla sednafits max coming in to test but I'm pretty happy with this for now.
Im also looking for eartips for hype 2 and quintet. Please keep us updated on how sednafits suit hype2. Im currently using moondrops eartips on Hype 2 and its okay. Doesnt change too much compared to stock.

Oct 8, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #87,126 of 103,945
The Hype2 and the Quintet, some of the greatest releases this year!

Im also looking for eartips for hype 2 and quintet. Please keep us updated on how sednafits suit hype2. Im currently using moondrops eartips on Hype 2 and its okay. Doesnt change too much compared to stock.

Yeah there are still a couple of tips I want to get to test out. Divinus tips and the brass tips. Waiting on 11/11 lol.
I have those Divinus tips, I’ll have to try them?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #87,127 of 103,945
The Hype2 and the Quintet, some of the greatest releases this year!

I have those Divinus tips, I’ll have to try them?
Divinus Velvet are my favourite at the moment, not only in terms of comfort and seal (the L's are perfect for my ear caves) but also in terms of their sound neutrality 🖖

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #87,128 of 103,945
Having now had the time to let Kiwi Ears Quintet get 'burned in' for 30+ hours, some things have changed. I know that planar drivers need some time to start delivering. That happened with my Hifiman HE400i. After a while, it suddenly 'changed' its sound signature and became more authoritative and clear. This seems to be the same for the Quintet. Sure, there's only one 'planar' driver in this IEM but something, namely the treble character, has changed after these 30+ hours. In order to not have the mids get a bit too sharp, I also have to jam these quite deep into my ear canals. Unfortunately that makes them uncomfortable to wear. It's not the size or outer shape that is the problem but I think it may have to do with the nozzle and the wing. Anyway, under these conditions and with wide bore, very soft and mid sized, tips I get good seal and the tonality is good across the board. I still go to my Magaosi DQ4 for its clarity, but this has more bass authority and maybe a little smoother treble. I don't feel the treble is exaggerated the way it has been described by some so my ears agree with the tuning. I have still to determine what my 'ideal' tuning is but it's close to this.

I am wondering if the upcoming Simgot EA1000 is going to be worth the price (more than EM6L, I'm sure) for very little difference in tuning (as far as I can see in the FR's released from Simgot) compared to both EML6 and EA500. I'm still waiting to hear more about the Tangzu Xuan Wu Gate.

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #87,129 of 103,945
ivipq Concha V11 looks like an 8BA value king, but no reviews nor even impressions I can find, do you think worth a blind buy?
hg.jpg

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #87,131 of 103,945
Listening to Rikubuds Saber 3 earbuds. Good all-around performance with some thump. Good sound stage, clarity and rumble. I am enjoying these. Will have future impressions as I have only been listening for a few hours, but these impressed right out of the box, and with Dragonfly Cobalt they sang noticeably.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #87,132 of 103,945
while we are on tip talk, I have the ZEOS render silicone/memory foam hybrid on the way as well as some Moondrop spring tips.

So far, the only tips that work for me are comply memory foam, anyone use that hybrid?

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #87,133 of 103,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back