The discovery thread!
Sep 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #86,102 of 103,549
Very interesting subject.. I will never do it either for fear of damaging the IEMs.. but it is interesting..

I didn't think that the mechanical resistance applied to the BA transducer could have such great repercussions on its electrical characteristics.

Something similar happens in electric motors, but in reverse; that is, if you apply a resisting (mechanical) torque, you actually decrease the impedance of the motor, which therefore consumes more (which, if you think about it, is also physically understandable).

The thing that seems strange to me here is that by applying mechanical resistance on the BA (because it forces it more I think), its resistance increases, rather than decreasing.

But ok, good to knows.
Just to clarify - after adding acoustic damper the electrical impedance remains the same

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #86,104 of 103,549
So, sorry, I didn't understand.
Why do they rate these dampers using an ohm rating?
For no super "good reason", some engineers find reasonable similarities between acoustic and electrical impedances in the resistance to energy flow.
But then the acoustic impedances are better cited as "acoustic Ohms" to avoid any confusion, like in your case, since the real units of acoustic impedance are Pa•s/m^3.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #86,105 of 103,549
For no super "good reason", some engineers find reasonable similarities between acoustic and electrical impedances in the resistance to energy flow.
But then the acoustic impedances are better cited as "acoustic Ohms" to avoid any confusion, like in your case, since the real units of acoustic impedance are Pa•s/m^3.
Right, using greek letter Omega for acoustic impedance is rather unusual and rather a mistake caused by some unawareness or just a simplification of the advertisers

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #86,106 of 103,549

In fact I would have expected it to be something related to pressure...
evidently there is a history of equivalences and customs that is unknown to me, which hinders the understanding of those who are not familiar with the subject (I have often seen it happen in the technical field; for example in IT).

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #86,107 of 103,549
Something new from Juzear

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzheNiT

16639124371313532543.jpg

2706462121275481977.jpg
S770293b922d846d693e792b44666a761E.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #86,109 of 103,549
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #86,110 of 103,549
I'm almost certain this has been out for a couple of months, maybe I'm wrong?

No, you're not wrong.
I've had them in my Aliexpress cart for many months.
I was excited by the idea of the BA+PLANAR mix (even if it was one of those non-classical planars), given that at the time there was no talk of QUINTET yet.

There is also a review of Akros, but only part 1, and I have never managed to find part 2.

This fact together with the perception (my personal one) that he was not too convinced of the product, made me give up (I usually bite like a fish when there are these 'strange' driver configurations).

Then, for God's sake, maybe it's a fantastic IEM like the 41t... but you'll find many reviews of that, almost all enthusiastic.
Not this one.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #86,111 of 103,549
If you don’t believe in such products and their qualities, then it could be construed as BS. And I’m perfectly OK with such attitudes. But some of us are believers, that’s all.
Unfortunately I don't recall that I actually provided an opinion as to where my system of beliefs stand on this question... Not entirely sure why you are pushing the 'Us' vs 'Them' (believer vs non-believer) narrative here as it actually has no relevance to what has been said - ie how can you subjectively believe in something you admit to not even trying yet...?

Further, it was in fact yourself, a self-professed subjective believer, who was asking for reports to be provided
So? You have nothing? I say this only because if this was a deal there would be written reports on it.
-------------------------------------------------
As far as financial incentive, every bit of product posted here in the Discovery Thread is for sale, of course you knew that. So? Nothing very different in regards to my post?
There is quite a difference as I explained previous and probably testiment to that is that the majority do not:
Include price
Link to stores
Link to specific stores
Post entire marketing pieces
Make marketing pieces appear as genuine member posts
Defend marketing pieces in the absense of scientific evidence or personal subjective experience
A simple scroll back over the last 10 pages can show that through links provided by other esteemed HF members such as @Leonarfd or @baskingshark

Again I am sure you are aware of this difference as you have always struck me as an intelligent individual who is aware of how comments can be perceived or hype generated.
The fact is much of this surfacing material does add something to the sound.
I would point you back to your demands for studies to prove 'facts' and to your own comments to @Uprox
I'm not trying to be critical here, but there are no facts? Rumors only?
This inconsistency is exactly the issue I was speaking to previously. Surely given your penchant for prose as holder of HF's most verbose reviews you have to understand that you cannot use the word "fact" here then drape it in objective or subjective connotative clothing as you see fit, yet demand a different standard elsewhere when it suits.

So in fixing the above comment for you:
The RUMOUR is much of this surfacing material does add something to the sound IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION (THAT IS ONLY AFTER I HAVE ACTUALLY USED THE ITEM IN QUESTION AND ACTUALLY HAVE A SUBJECTIVE OPINION) HOWEVER THERE IS NO PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE THAT I HAVE SEEN OR CAN MAKE AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT THIS CLAIM AS A FACT

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #86,112 of 103,549
No, you're not wrong.
I was excited by the idea of the BA+PLANAR mix (even if it was one of those non-classical planars), given that at the time there was no talk of QUINTET yet.

There is also a review of Akros, but only part 1, and I have never managed to find part 2.

This fact together with the perception (my personal one) that he was not too convinced of the product, made me give up (I usually bite like a fish when there are these 'strange' driver configurations).

Then, for God's sake, maybe it's a fantastic IEM like the 41t... but you'll find many reviews of that, almost all enthusiastic.
Not this one.

Ah, I see now. I suggested that only one piece has been sold so far.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #86,113 of 103,549
Ah, I see now. I suggested that only one piece has been sold so far.

It's ok. Suggesting is not a crime.
If it cost a little less I would have taken it... but for a little more there is the 41t, which is a sure hit, and for much less there is the CLEAR, which I haven't personally tried, but I've heard good things about it.
And then a thousand others.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #86,114 of 103,549
No, you're not wrong.

Not this one.

What advantage do you get by meshing BAs with planars?

Aren't planars better than BAs at lower prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back