The discovery thread!
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #80,626 of 103,548
I can second this: U4S is a league below the U12T in technicalities.

U4S is hyped to the moon, but I think it is quite overrated. IMHO.
100% That was how I heard them. U12T OUTSTANDING, U4S overpriced hype.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #80,627 of 103,548
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #80,628 of 103,548
U12T is very technical, I dont disagree with that.

I just find it boring because its more on the analytical side, monitor like with its resolution.

I prefer it to be more warm and musical with smoother treble, not airy like U12T.

I will be listening to the U4s and U12t again from buddy who owns them and I'll see if I still stand by my statement.
Seems like u6t might fit the bill too!

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #80,629 of 103,548
I've owned a few Toneking earbuds and IEMs in the past and they are a very niche company. They don't do much marketing and do not give out samples to reviewers, so they kind of have a small cult following.

Long story short, I think most of the Toneking stuff are sadly quite overpriced against modern day competition. A lot of their gear still retail at north of $100 USD

Thanks for answering and all the information. So what was your motivation to sell them off then, except the Ninetails?
Marketing and review samples, I don't know if this is a drawback at all.
But you are right that their stuff is quite stable in pricing, on the other side: most of the reasonable gear is way off north $100.
So maybe this price bracket is not a barrier anymore.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #80,630 of 103,548
Thanks for answering and all the information. So what was your motivation to sell them off then, except the Ninetails?
Marketing and review samples, I don't know if this is a drawback at all.
But you are right that their stuff is quite stable in pricing, on the other side: most of the reasonable gear is way off north $100.
So maybe this price bracket is not a barrier anymore.

I don't sell review units, but I recycle funds from my personal audio purchases to buy more 2nd hand IEMs and sources to test and write reviews/impressions about them.

That's how I get my paws on more gear to test and write about. I only keep a few outstanding or benchmark gear, and the rest of the Toneking gear were sacrificed as they weren't worth keeping and tying up funds.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #80,631 of 103,548
I don't sell review units, but I recycle funds from my personal audio purchases to buy more 2nd hand IEMs and sources to test and write reviews/impressions about them.

That's how I get my paws on more gear to test and write about. I only keep a few outstanding or benchmark gear, and the rest of the Toneking gear were sacrificed as they weren't worth keeping and tying up funds.
Ah, now I see. Thanks again!

Are there any multiple BA sets out there, using only sonion drivers? Most of them are mixed up with DD or Knowles.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #80,632 of 103,548
Ah, now I see. Thanks again!

Are there any multiple BA sets out there, using only sonion drivers? Most of them are mixed up with DD or Knowles.

Hmm, not sure about that, but yeah, most are not pure Sonions but mixed with other driver types.

TBH, the driver type or brand is secondary to tuning, so don't be so hard up on the driver brand. Some TOTL companies use Bellsings (cough cough JH and Campfire), while some other brands crowbar in Knowles and Sonions but the tuning is bad.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #80,633 of 103,548
TBH, the driver type or brand is secondary to tuning, so don't be so hard up on the driver brand. Some TOTL companies use Bellsings (cough cough JH and Campfire), while some other brands crowbar in Knowles and Sonions but the tuning is bad.
I agree with that, tuning and implementation are the keys and above all physics. I'm just curious why no company offers that.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #80,634 of 103,548
No, I would buy it.
But I would like to be more certain.
If you want an overall more balanced iem with greater detail, PR2.

If you just want a focused excellent vocal performance, Blessing 3.

You'd never expect the PR2 to trade blows with the B3 instead of being creamed.

Problem is, the PR2 as tuned by HBB is no longer being made. KZ took shortcuts and simplified the manufacture of the PR2, removing the actual tuning mesh on driver and just using a different nozzle filter.

graph(28).png

U12T is very technical, I dont disagree with that.

I just find it boring because its more on the analytical side, monitor like with its resolution.

I prefer it to be more warm and musical with smoother treble, not airy like U12T.

I will be listening to the U4s and U12t again from buddy who owns them and I'll see if I still stand by my statement.
Maybe try the XENNS Mangird Top.

Aside note, the U12t isn't actually the most technical iem. It's just on the dryer side that gives an impression of cleanliness.

Boring is ultimately subjective, I'm sure some people will find a set like the FDX1 engaging tho I think it's a very boring sounding IEM which seems to be what most listeners think about the FDX1.

When it comes to flagship models, I've heard people call the u12t and especially the Anole VX boring.

I'd love to own one of these soon, the u12t is something I'd be willing to buy new, but I'm not willing to pay 2k for a new VX.

There seems to be an influx of u12t scams here on head.fi, I'd be wary on buying one second hand.
Have the FDX1, it's like an etymotic imo but with better details and extension though treble extension falls short. It could be engaging but it lacks the bass quantity to make it "fun".

The Monarch Mk2 is the best neutral-natural imo but lacks treble extension.

A common thing I dislike about the classic high end brands is their lack of extension higher end iems. Granted, I am spoiled by annihilator treble but stuff like the IE600, PR2 are at least capable.

The Thieaudio Prestige attempted it but was quite unrefined similar to their Oracle MK2.

I've heard the QDC Anole, VX, V14 and they weren't impressive. U12t beats them imo though the U12t still falls short of the Monarch MK2 despite them being far more expensive iems.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #80,635 of 103,548
Hmm, not sure about that, but yeah, most are not pure Sonions but mixed with other driver types.

Having heard all of their iems, I strongly believe that Campfire Audio is a cosmetics company first, audio company second. Good sounding was never the company's objective which shows in their SQ consistency which is as bad as Chi-fi brands.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #80,638 of 103,548
Another Bullet contender Sonic Memory SM1. Tunable and MMCX.

Currently available in Asian Market. RMB249 during 6.18 sale. Crazy price for the assessories inside. Not include upgrade cable in the picture.
Just to know.

U really like that kind of tuning of treble-head-asian-market?

I can support some iems with some charge on high frequencies... But that FR looks agressive

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #80,639 of 103,548
Just to know.

U really like that kind of tuning of treble-head-asian-market?

I can support some iems with some charge on high frequencies... But that FR looks agressive
That tuning looks like Etymotic with bass boost (or Moondrop VDSF). lots of upper mid, centering at 3k, and then no treble.

Western tuning usually has less or no ear gain, but more treble. Remember the Westone MACH80? It peaks at 5k, 8k, and 12k at the same time. Different kind of deadliness :dt880smile:

Edit: 8 to 10dB at 3k, and then smooth glide all the way to 20kHz is the best to me. Most of “magic” comes from that extension.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #80,640 of 103,548
That tuning looks like Etymotic with bass boost (or Moondrop VDSF). lots of upper mid, centering at 3k, and then no treble.

Western tuning usually has less or no ear gain, but more treble. Remember the Westone MACH80? It peaks at 5k, 8k, and 12k at the same time. Different kind of deadliness :dt880smile:

Edit: 8 to 10dB at 3k, and then smooth glide all the way to 20kHz is the best to me. Most of “magic” comes from that extension.
Yeah, I suppose that bullet kind of earphones usually comes with that kind of presentation.

But recently the Sound Rhyme 5 or HIDIS MS5, comes with that gain on the upper frequencies...

I love some KINERA iems, but they always have more charge on upper mids and highs that I can "understand"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back