The discovery thread!
May 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #79,366 of 103,547
No, I haven't tried. I like clean vocals and bass in general. I especially hate v sound iems, the mid frequencies definitely shouldn't be behind. I don't know, I'm trying to decide between hexa and jd 7 but I like that jd 7 is pretty small. Since comfort is important, hexa may not be very compatible because I have problems with large iems. Of course, truthear also has general quality control problems, fiio is a brand I love.
JD7 feels nothing when I wear it with the HS18 tips included in the box. These IEMs are well vented, so sometimes I’m not sure whether I have put them on properly due to the lack of vacuum feel.

Eagerly wait for my FD11 to compare against JD7.

Btw, if anyone see FD7 on discount (the beryllium flagship one), you should get it. That model is discontinued. If you can get it for Blessing 3 price, it’s a bargain.

May 21, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #79,367 of 103,547
JD7 feels nothing when I wear it with the HS18 tips included in the box. These IEMs are well vented, so sometimes I’m not sure whether I have put them on properly due to the lack of vacuum feel.

Eagerly wait for my FD11 to compare against JD7.

Btw, if anyone see FD7 on discount (the beryllium flagship one), you should get it. That model is discontinued. If you can get it for Blessing 3 price, it’s a bargain.
Yes, fd 11 is new so there isn't much of a review. I especially want to go towards blessing 3 with a final order of 100 dollars. I can easily sell fiio, but the others are not.

May 21, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #79,368 of 103,547
Is Truthear Hexa the best for under $100 assuming I'll use EQ anyways?

Or maybe that's the PR2 but i don't have a powerful portable source so that may add to more than the Hexa.
No, if you want to EQing, buy some thing with plastic shell, relatively flat sound signature and a normal non-coated diagram, that's my recommendation. Hybrid usually have crossover so one wrong EQ will make whole process broken, without crossover even worse.
I think CRA, Waner, maybe ew100p, tanchjim zero. 7hz zero is fine too but it's quite sensitive

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #79,369 of 103,547
Yes, fd 11 is new so there isn't much of a review. I especially want to go towards blessing 3 with a final order of 100 dollars. I can easily sell fiio, but the others are not.
Oh yeah, @Tzennn reminds me. The Simgot EW100P is good and cheap, with Harman tuned and great comfort.

My FD11 should be here today. Can share some comparisons when I receive it.

May 21, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #79,370 of 103,547
It is crazy that Fiio has become the giant they are today. I still own the Fiio X3 their first DAP. Still sounds great. Today they make DAPs like the new M15S. This thing is Tremendous as far a sound quality goes. One aspect that seems to be consistent with Fiio is that they improve as times goes on. IT seems they read reviews and what folks have to say about their IEMs and audio gears in general.
I agree. FiiO E10 Olympus was my first DAC/amp purchase back in 2012 when I got into this audiophile hobby. I still have it but never use it anymore.

FiiO is a company that keeps iterating and improving their products. They try to innovate too, but iterating is what made them successful. They're never satisfied with their current product line and are always thinking about how to make their next model better. Unlike other companies who get lazy or complacent after finding success, FiiO keeps pushing themselves to be better or the best, while keeping prices relatively reasonable and affordable for consumers.

They've even stepped up their packaging and presentation game, putting many other companies to shame in this aspect (like Sennheiser), who keeps making their packaging and presentation cheaper and a much worse experience for the end user.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #79,371 of 103,547
Okay. Quartet.

These are a tricky one to crack. They don’t sound at all bad. But there are issues for sure. The overall resolution seems low. The highs are blunted and the bass tends to boom more than I’d like. Flipping the first switch on increases the treble but it’s still blunt sounding. The second switch makes the bass way too big. Both on is… not great.

So yeah. I concede that they’re not up to the pre-hype.

Now, the Raptgo Bridge on the other hand is absolutely brilliant once you wrap your brain around what it’s doing.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #79,372 of 103,547
Okay. Quartet.

These are a tricky one to crack. They don’t sound at all bad. But there are issues for sure. The overall resolution seems low. The highs are blunted and the bass tends to boom more than I’d like.

So yeah. I concede that they’re not up to the pre-hype.

Now, the Raptgo Bridge on the other hand is absolutely brilliant once you wrap your brain around what it’s doing.
Resolution and other technicalities of the Quartet is source dependent and needs a proper cable pairing to sound its best.

It's like the Z300 in this aspect. They change drastically once you upgrade the cable (I've been finding great success with the Penon CS819) and pair it with a transparent source. Both IEMs come alive and become so much more detailed, clear, and technical. In their stock forms, they're just "OK" for the price.

Obviously neither one will beat $500 or kilobucks IEMs in technicality, but they're among the best in their price categories, once they're paired with the right cable and source.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #79,373 of 103,547
Resolution and other technicalities of the Quartet is source dependent and needs a proper cable pairing to sound its best.

It's like the Z300 in this aspect. They change drastically once you upgrade the cable (I've been finding great success with the Penon CS819) and pair it with a transparent source. Both IEMs come alive and become so much more detailed, clear, and technical. Obviously neither one will beat $500 or kilobucks IEMs in technicality, but they're among the best in their price categories.

Well, I’m not ready to give up on them yet, that’s for sure.

May 21, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #79,374 of 103,547
No, I haven't tried. I like clean vocals and bass in general. I especially hate v sound iems, the mid frequencies definitely shouldn't be behind. I don't know, I'm trying to decide between hexa and jd 7 but I like that jd 7 is pretty small. Since comfort is important, hexa may not be very compatible because I have problems with large iems. Of course, truthear also has general quality control problems, fiio is a brand I love.

I had both and sold the Hexa, but it does sound flatter. To me that came across as more boring and it gave me nothing the Jd7 didn't.

The Jd7 does emphasize the bass some as genesis said. But I don't feel like the mids are behind and the treble never sounds overemphasized to me. The comfort is great.

May 21, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #79,375 of 103,547
Well, I’m not ready to give up on them yet, that’s for sure.
Like I've said, I'm really enjoying the Quartet and Z300, but can understand how some people might not like them, especially if they're judging them straight out of the box in their stock form.

Both of these IEMs was exactly what I was looking for: fun, punchy, bassy, not muddy, not sibilant or shouty, but also has good technicalities with upgrades. Before buying the Quartet and Z300, I was about to buy the Maestro Mini or Legato to scratch the basshead itch I've been having. I still might buy those IEMs, but I'm very satisfied with how the Quartet and Z300 are performing in the genres I was expecting them to be great-sounding with.

Without upgrades, they're a bit slow, slightly boomy, and not very technical. Just "pretty good," but not great (again, for the price) in stock form.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #79,376 of 103,547
Recently got the BQEYZ Winter and love the 3D-like presentation. Really impressed!

May 21, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #79,377 of 103,547
nice precise cross comparison 😆

Since I ranted too much about Linsoul’s poor preorder code habdling, I bet they decided delay my order dispatch😂

Deng seemed a bit pissed off when I directly criticized about their poor code exchanging system.

Anyway, good to hear some inputs! I’ll be waiting my pairs to arrive soon.
Ya I’m sure they took notice 😂

May 21, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #79,378 of 103,547
Like I've said, I'm really enjoying the Quartet and Z300, but can understand how some people might not like them, especially if they're judging them straight out of the box in their stock form.

Both of these IEMs was exactly what I was looking for: fun, punchy, bassy, not muddy, not sibilant or shouty, but also has good technicalities with upgrades. Before buying the Quartet and Z300, I was about to buy the Maestro Mini or Legato to scratch the basshead itch I've been having. I still might buy those IEMs, but I'm very satisfied with how the Quartet and Z300 are performing in the genres I was expecting them to be great-sounding with.

Without upgrades, they're a bit slow, slightly boomy, and not very technical. Just "pretty good," but not great (again, for the price) in stock form.

Totally, and as I said, I’ve only had them for about 24 hours, so I admit I have to spend more time with them.

May 21, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #79,379 of 103,547
Totally, and as I said, I’ve only had them for about 24 hours, so I admit I have to spend more time with them.
Yeah, first impressions are often not your final opinion with audio products. My first impressions of the Audeze Euclid was meh, but now I love them and use them almost daily, still amazed at how good they sound. It took me about a month to truly appreciate it, after the drivers got enough burn-in and after I matched it with a good DAP that synergized great with it.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #79,380 of 103,547
Yeah, first impressions are often not your final opinion with audio products. My first impressions of the Audeze Euclid was meh, but now I love them and use them almost daily, still amazed at how good they sound.

Bridge is a good example too. It sounds kind of bizarre out of box. But your brain gets on top of it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back