The discovery thread!
May 7, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #78,226 of 104,062
Phew!! Finally caught up my 136 pages (and around additional 10s pages everyday on this thread) from my 1 or 1 and half month abstain.
This thread is crazy fun and most active thread (and poisonous as well)
TLDR, interested in KZ PR2, a budget planar with nice tuning.
Guess it will be better buy than Blon Z300?
The upcoming kiwi ears Forteza also interesting. Kiwi ears have great house tuning too.
Blessings 3 also seems interesting.
I have the KZ PR2 incoming, it seems to need power at 94dB / 15ohm. And thats actually the main reason for buying it. I wanted something hard to drive for my desktop amps and tubes. As my S12 Pro responded very well to ZDT Jr so continuing on that power to planars journey :smile:

May 7, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #78,227 of 104,062
Phew!! Finally caught up my 136 pages (and around additional 10s pages everyday on this thread) from my 1 or 1 and half month abstain.
This thread is crazy fun and most active thread (and poisonous as well)
TLDR, interested in KZ PR2, a budget planar with nice tuning.
Guess it will be better buy than Blon Z300?
The upcoming kiwi ears Forteza also interesting. Kiwi ears have great house tuning too.
Blessings 3 also seems interesting.
BLON BL-03 now looks like a retired veteran despite being like 3.5 years old... I don't want to retire mine, however.

On a side note. I think a year ago or so, I asked this thread about your input on what's your most expensive headgear that you consider Worth the Blind. Maybe it's time for a 2023 edition?

May 7, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #78,228 of 104,062
I have the KZ PR2 incoming, it seems to need power at 94dB / 15ohm. And thats actually the main reason for buying it. I wanted something hard to drive for my desktop amps and tubes. As my S12 Pro responded very well to ZDT Jr so continuing on that power to planars journey :smile:

I'm all set :beyersmile:
The Fiio M17 maybe is one of the most powerful DAPs on earth currently.
I'm really surprised what M17 can push the potential of the planars and piezos. I never heard my timeless and NX7 like this before.

Seriously I prefer Timeless + M17 rather than Z1R + KA3 / iphone dongle

May 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #78,229 of 104,062
BLON BL-03 now looks like a retired veteran despite being like 3.5 years old... I don't want to retire mine, however.

On a side note. I think a year ago or so, I asked this thread about your input on what's your most expensive headgear that you consider Worth the Blind. Maybe it's time for a 2023 edition?

Depends on what signature do you like.
I have my Z1R for 2 years by now followed by Mest and Monarch MkII
Sound wise the Z1R can worth the blind buy but i really don't recommend blind buy because of the fit. Same goes with Monarch. If you like warm signature, M7 and M9 will be recommended for blind buy.
Not sure why you would want to blind buy them? Unless you don't have any access to try before.

And I want to share my 1 month abstain, I auditioned few flagships too.
I went to Singapore, but barely have time there since schedule was so tight. Would love to try some IEMs and meet up with @baskingshark but time was ticking so fast.
Then i stopped by Seoul. I went there for half a day, instead of finding other flagships I intended to make myself rest assure and confirming that my closest to endgame sets are truly the ones.

Will share my experience later.

May 7, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #78,230 of 104,062
Crinacle confirmed that the Dusk edition is in the making, his last video is talking about it. For me this is more interesting if it adds some extra low end.
Not too long ago, I said I was looking for IEMs the break the barrier of technical performance of kilobuck. I think both SA6II and B3 have done just that. Grab any of these and a beefy amp, and you are pretty much “there”.

May 7, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #78,232 of 104,062
The sub $30 IEMs of today are probably the $100 USD IEMs of just a few years back. Maybe MidFI IEMs of today can arguably give TOTL sound of a few years back too.
That's how fast the industry is evolving.

Which is not a bad thing in my view. There's a lower bar for folks to join this IEM hobby, instead of needing to sell a kidney just to get a small piece of audio nirvana.
I remember sourcing for IEMs about 15 years ago for stage monitoring. The big fish then were Shure and Westones. Damn, I either had to sell an existing IEM just to get a different flavoured IEM, or a same IEM followed me for half a decade before I could cough up funds for a newer model.

And tis a joke that the Shure SE215 which I was using around 12 or 13 years ago is still being sold today at similar pricing. Back then it was muddy and veiled and it can't hold a candle to most budget CHIFI today.

Nowadays, the problem seems to be that we have too much choice, and multiple sidegrades are spammed every week, so consumers are confused on what to get. Many sidegrades to sieve through to get that one gem. But it is a great time to be in this hobby the past few years for sure!

Haha who wants to bet that maybe in 2 weeks' time we might inevitably see a KZ PR2 PRO or ULTRA pokemon.
Not surprised if that happens, I'm close to pulling the trigger for the PR2's, but there's a thought in the back of my head that's telling me that a PR2 Pro or the like will come out before June starts, so I've yet to order the PR2

May 7, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #78,233 of 104,062
Man I am in the same boat, after getting the FAAEAL Iris Ancestor, I knew I had to try out some TOTL earbuds. I picked up the Yinman 2.0 600s and the GAS2, and I am in heaven. The sound that are coming out of these buds are just crazy when you think about how cheap they are (vs. higher end IEMs for example). Truly TOTL sound for a fraction of the price with better soundstage than an IEM without trying (just due to the physical design). Sounds have this physicality to it that I just haven't experienced before. I used to constantly chase the next IEM but honestly now I have zero reason to use an IEM. Earbuds are just infinitely more comfortable than IEMs and headphones, I barely use my LCD-2Cs anymore.

The GAS2 is so efficient that it can be powered by an apple dongle (80% volume). The bass is very tight and dynamic, it is surprising to see this much bass performance out of an EARBUD. Then we have the Yinman 2.0 600s which are the polar opposite. I need to use my full sized HP amp to power these at similar gain to my LCD-2Cs but they are basically mini-LCD2Cs. They are that good, with a dark timbre, air-y highs, and insanely good sub-bass performance. Vocals sound so lush on both of these sets. They are not fatiguing at all to listen to and that is very important for someone like me that just wants to enjoy music for long periods of time.

I will say this level of performance has brought me down a different rabbit hole but one that is much easier on the wallet (and one that the wife approves of). Can't say there is a better WIN-WIN situation than that!
Like if you compare iem to earbud, in particular, your Hookx vs Gas2 which one is better and why?

May 7, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #78,234 of 104,062
So tanchjim kara keeps delayed and im just gonna say it's a fairy tale at this point lol

May 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #78,238 of 104,062
I was trying to put together Moondrop JIU comparison with LinLong, Hexa, KZ ESX and Droplet.
20230507_103317.jpg

Well, in two words - they are all different :), and nicely so.
I realized that to make any really proper comparison - so many hours are needed working across the genres and also taking time to adapting the ears from one sound signature to another. So one can really appreciate the hard work of good diligent reviewers (and have a stronger opinion on those making "review production factories").

Anyhow, JIU is nicely average (in the good/best sense) and great for $25 with the source, case, good tips and most acceptable (to my limited critical senses) those "obligatory" cartoon girl images.

Linlong is the easiest to listen to and enjoyable. Great least tangling and most practical fixed cable compared to JIU and Droplet. A winner for the price/enjoyment, undoubtedly. No sub bass of the microdriver is to note

Hola - a winner for tuning, bass and mids in the budget category. Not treble. Incorporating Hexa treble would command at least a zero to the right of the price tag (perhaps, a next Truthear IEM...).

ESX are woody/meaty, very enjoyable to me as a flavour, more pale in direct comparisons. A winner in the build - most aesthetically pleasing and technically accomplished (three different metal accents in the shell plate, and great transparency and durability of polycarbonate) by far!

Droplet are a great effort in enabling a single BA to sound great, squeezing last/every proverbial droplet out if it and a win there for the Moondrop. Smallest, lightest, a beautiful shape, and capable enough to serve as an only IEM pair :)

Overall looser: Truthear Hexa - with all the amazingly resolving mids and treble - not much fun at all to my ears (I was exactly getting Hexa for its analytical signature - the results surpassed all expectations there, so no complains, just a surprise, and an honourable place as a highly specific/specialized IEM in my collection).

Overall winner: my good old modified ASX, putting them back after these comparisons was a pure bliss - ample lush BA bass and potent spicy treble :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #78,239 of 104,062
I was trying to put together Moondrop JIU comparison with LinLong, Hexa, KZ ESX and Droplet.

Well, in two words - they are all different :), and nicely so.
I realized that to make any really proper comparison - so many hours are needed working across the genres and also taking time to adapting the ears from one sound signature to another. So one can really appreciate the hard work of good diligent reviewers (and have a stronger opinion on those making "review production factories").

Anyhow, JIU is nicely average (in the good/best sense) and great for $25 with the source, case, good tips and most acceptable (to my limited critical senses) those "obligatory" cartoon girl images.

Linlong is the easiest to listen to and enjoyable. Great least tangling and most practical fixed cable compared to JIU and Droplet. A winner for the price/enjoyment, undoubtedly. No sub bass of the microdriver is to note

Hola - a winner for tuning, bass and mids in the budget category. Not treble. Incorporating Hexa treble would command at least a zero to the right of the price tag (perhaps, a next Truthear IEM...).

ESX are woody/meaty, very enjoyable to me as a flavour, more pale in direct comparisons. A winner in the build - most aesthetically pleasing and technically accomplished (three different metal accents in the shell plate, and great transparency and durability of polycarbonate) by far!

Droplet are a great effort in enabling a single BA to sound great, squeezing last/every proverbial droplet out if it and a win there for the Moondrop. Smallest, lightest, a beautiful shape, and capable enough to serve as an only IEM pair :)

Overall looser: Truthear Hexa - with all the amazingly resolving mids and treble - not much fun at all to my ears (I was exactly getting Hexa for its analytical signature - the results surpassed all expectations there, so no complains, just a surprise, and an honourable place as a highly specific/specialized IEM in my collection).

Overall winner: my good old modified ASX, putting them back after these comparisons was a pure bliss - ample lush BA bass and potent spicy treble :)

Personally, I like the Hexa. The key for me was figuring out the fit. The Hexa’s 2 pin connector is positioned at a weird angle. In order to get the shells to fit correctly I have to ignore the cable and allow it to project basically forward instead of up so that the nozzle is angled correctly. Once I figured that out they began sounding significantly better.

I think they need a cable with “elbow” connectors at the .78 pin end. Having the cable immediately angle up should make them align more consistently and fit more perfectly.

Of course this is purely my anecdotal experience but it may be worth checking out. I found that the bass response came alive once the shells were turned to the right orientation.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #78,240 of 104,062
Crinacle confirmed that the Dusk edition is in the making, his last video is talking about it. For me this is more interesting if it adds some extra low end.

That’s exciting. The B3 is very nice and could be even better with some tuning. Not sure if I’ll get it, but it will be a very nice update for an already good iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back