The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #77,386 of 102,823
Tastefully done Sub bass extention all the way and flat till 50hz then a gentle glide to 200 and flat till 1k beautiful should have nice sub bass and enough energy into MB for vocals but not too much bleed. All this is of course only a portion of the story, Titanium drivers should be speedy so hopefully more faster speedy attack with weight to the decay and release.

Listening will be ultimate test with ears on.
I’m hoping for good rumble and slam with dual DDs. Actually excited for this release.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #77,387 of 102,823
Also the big gamble on Night Oblivion VE8 Silver Oriole is under import agent’s processing👍 They probably using recycled BA units from second hand market, so that they can make TOTL grade IEMs with almost impossible pricing. It was same for Lokahi as well, it says “used” as obviously the shells are brand new when arrived. Good practice for those DIY brands👍👍

I have extremely high hope on this set, the FR looks almost perfect.
C5D2FD5B-342C-47FE-B947-B3CB57AAA78A.jpeg

563C34E9-E7A0-4F05-B7BE-7B3832F2159E.jpeg

I just google how would a “Silver Oriole” looks like,
46BEA03E-BF5B-4C92-8A03-0EF9F40C1FA5.jpeg

Academic Name: Oriolus mellianus🤔
…..😳
aha! It may be “the bird for rest of us”
The one you buy should be called "W10"
It use Sonion 38 *1 (@100 rmb) as low, Sonion E50dt *2 (@100 rmb) as mid, Knowles 32406 *2 (@120 rmb) as high
1800rmb is reasonable price

I don't think it use recycled BA either since 32406 still rarely used (quite new BA series, for example only mangird top state to use it) and you can order more 😉

And ve8 / silver oriole (aka oriolus mellianus 10BA from Oriolus) just for SEO search lol

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #77,388 of 102,823
Somehow I've managed to avoid any collabs or any MQA in all of my purchases. Yay! Cheers :beerchug:
Now that MQA is in chapter 11 (or the British equivalent) - hopefully, we'll stop paying extra for HW that supports it. I never used it.
As for collabs: if the product sounds good - I will get it. I will never buy a product because it is a collab, but will not avoid it either.
IMHO collabs are like ads with celebs... I will never buy deodorant or any other product just because it is advertised by <your favorite celeb here> :wink:

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #77,390 of 102,823
The one you buy should be called "W10"
It use Sonion 38 *1 (@100 rmb) as low, Sonion E50dt *2 (@100 rmb) as mid, Knowles 32406 *2 (@120 rmb) as high
1800rmb is reasonable price

I don't think it use recycled BA either since 32406 still rarely used (quite new BA series, for example only mangird top state to use it) and you can order more 😉

And ve8 / silver oriole (aka oriolus mellianus 10BA from Oriolus) just for SEO search lol
Dude, you are master of undiscovered IEMs! Thanks for the spec, that’s no where to be found.

Haha SEO queries 😂

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #77,391 of 102,823
Yeah I didn’t realize how big of a difference a good DAP can make until I bought and used one extensively. Can’t imagine what top tier DAPs can do. Not about to pay $3,000+ to find out though. :weary:
Top tier gets you either diminishing returns or some flavorful coloration (or both).

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #77,392 of 102,823
I will never buy a product because it is a collab, but will not avoid it either.

I imagine most buyers feel that way, or want to buy them because their trusted reviewer had a hand in the tuning. My position, wanting the reviewer to maintain complete editorial freedom at any cost, is no doubt that of an outlier in this hobby.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #77,394 of 102,823
As for collabs: if the product sounds good - I will get it. I will never buy a product because it is a collab, but will not avoid it either.
IMHO collabs are like ads with celebs... I will never buy deodorant or any other product just because it is advertised by <your favorite celeb here> :wink:
What i love about collab is usually its paired with a video from the collaborator explaining what the IEM suppose to be.
They often goes into details why this particular drivers, what kind of tuning they wanted, what kind of musics it will great at, and sometimes even comparison with their direct competitor (at least campaigning some aspect that the collab iem is better than the price bracket competitor).

The standard company given marketing blurb usually just filled with "great sounding" which is not that useful.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #77,395 of 102,823
Anyone have any thoughts on this graph of the performer 8? As a fan of the p5, I think I might wait a bit.

1682469370437.png
Hey, AFUL changes the tuning of P8. The last time, the graph looks really odd around 1.5kHz so I bet my money on SA6II instead. I sense a relaxed center image yet closed in at the same time, a.k.a., SA6II stock tuning. Very suspicious of the steady rise starting from 250Hz, thanks to surprise with the SA6II stock tuning.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that the P8 wouldn't be able to sound like the Fourte. You see that 1.25kHz dip? That deliberate dip produces a very uncanny effect to the soundstage. You can try immediately with EQ and see if you like it. The dip changes everything in terms of tonal balance and presentation. In real world, the Fourte is way more "steely" and bright than the graph suggest, because the treble does stick out above the midrange. Tbh, I don't like this IEM at all. The Trio, though, *chef kiss*

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #77,396 of 102,823
Its confirmed by KZ Rep that KZ PR2 is mostly retune of KZ PR1 Pro.

kz pr2.jpg

There are minor alteration in the driver (possibly that included PCB board) to make the graph result a bit more consistent it seems.

also some guy in facebook compared PR2 with Heyday, (thanks hustler for finding it)

12050600.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #77,397 of 102,823
linsoul says Kiwi Ears Quartet will be
2DD : Titanium Coated
Mid: 1 Kiwi Custom BA
High : 1 Kiwi Custom BA
1+1+2 confirmed✌️

Now that’s a good composition.

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #77,398 of 102,823
Anyhow, the moral of the story is: look at the source used by reviewers. I even tested the JD3 with P6 Pro and that even that IEM can sound punchy, dynamic, and somewhat 3D with the P6 Pro, just like Final Audio E5000 can sound crisp and technical when driven by A&K SP2000T.

Haha, how about the "apple dongle is all you need" groupthink? I've actually seen a few well-known reviewers say that the source doesn't matter, but well horses for courses!

I think the apple dongle measures well and is super cheap at sub $10, it can drive most IEMs except outliers. But from personal experience, it can't drive high impedance/low sensitivity gear well, especially some earbuds/headphones that are power hungry. It is not a matter of volume, just that dynamics, bass tightness etc fall short when the apple dongle provides insufficient juice to these behemoths.

Somehow I've managed to avoid any collabs or any MQA in all of my purchases. Yay! Cheers :beerchug:

Respect!

Yeah I didn’t realize how big of a difference a good DAP can make until I bought and used one extensively. Can’t imagine what top tier DAPs can do. Not about to pay $3,000+ to find out though. :weary:

Well as per all things in this hobby, diminishing returns is the name of the game, the higher you go up the ladder.

Ball park from budget -> midFI -> TOTL, each rung gives you maybe 10 - 20ish% improvement, but for 5 - 10x the price. Generally, the TOTL DAPs seem to provide the most expansive soundstage and best imaging, but IMHO, you are paying for miniaturizing technology. Dongles and desktop setups arguably may be cheaper priced for similar quality, but portability is why these DAPs are commanding such high prices.

Anyone have any thoughts on this graph of the performer 8? As a fan of the p5, I think I might wait a bit.

1682469370437.png

The graph is extremely stretched, but the P8 may be something warm neutralish from this graph. Pinna gain is very mild, so vocals probably are in the backstage.

Kind of reminiscent of the old school Westone stage monitoring type graphs.

But rule no. 1 in this hobby. Never trust store provided graphs.
As always, listening impressions may not correlate, and graphs are only a small taster of tonality. Timbral accuracy and technicalities may not be 100% gleaned from a standard FR.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #77,399 of 102,823
Haha, how about the "apple dongle is all you need" groupthink? I've actually seen a few well-known reviewers say that the source doesn't matter, but well horses for courses!

I think the apple dongle measures well and is super cheap at sub $10, it can drive most IEMs except outliers.

The Apple dongle actually represents excellent value, especially the microphone in. I was shocked when realising that not every audio input has flat 20-20000 response like Apple dongle. The Creative dongle, for instance, rolls off everything outside 100-10000.

But yeah, sound quality wise, the Apple dongle is actually very solid even if we ignore the measurements and the memes. I can totally see why Precog does not need anything else with the U12T, because that IEM refuses to sound different across sources. I did need to twist my ears hard to pick out the difference between Apple dongle and my K7/M6U with U12T. (So, no more U12T. I'm going to use Blessing 2 or SA6II for review in the future.)

If we talk about "can drive", as in making sound, then even feature phone with a 3.5mm can drive IEM. Driving to what level, what kind of refinement. That's the question. The thing is when I heard folks singing praises about this and that $$$$$$ DAP / amp, I was like "what drugs are you taking?" But it's hard to un-hear after testing those $$$$$$ devices. I say the best bang for the buck is the mid-fi market. M6U or G5 + SA6II for the price of a kilobuck IEM is better than a kilobuck IEM with a subpar source, in my experience. If one uses exclusively, say, KA3, one would find all of kilobuck mostly flat and 2D.

Ball park from budget -> midFI -> TOTL, each rung gives you maybe 10 - 20ish% improvement, but for 5 - 10x the price. Generally, the TOTL DAPs seem to provide the most expansive soundstage and best imaging, but IMHO, you are paying for miniaturizing technology. Dongles and desktop setups arguably may be cheaper priced for similar quality, but portability is why these DAPs are commanding such high prices.

Portable DAC/amp with battery represents great value, especially if the battery is user-replaceable. I'm curious about FiiO Q7 at the moment.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #77,400 of 102,823
I ordered my Kz X Hbb Pr2 today… lets see if it is better than my PR1….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back