The discovery thread!
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #76,291 of 102,946
The 2 pin hole was damaged on my TangZu Wu Zetian, so the left ear stopped working. Now I have no planar IEMs left in my collection. Quite sad about this, because with the Blackcat and those Spinfit tips, they sounded absolutely gorgeous. I'm sad, and now torn if I'll replace them?

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #76,293 of 102,946
Any general consensus between DD, vented BA and planar magnetic bass performance?

I assume DD is the absolute most all over the place in that it can either be the absolute best bass ever, or the absolute worst because of the large variety of DD and their implementation too.
In regards to DD, yea partially agree.
There are numerous varieties of DD, including LCP PU DLC CNT various metal coated ones.

But if you take it to generalization,

Dynamic Bass: High in Energy, Low in Texturing, Medium in Organic feeling
Planar Bass: Medium in Energy, Medium in Texturing, High in Organic Feeling
BA Bass: Low in Energy, High In Texturing, Low in Organic Feeling.

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #76,294 of 102,946
There are numerous varieties of DD, including LCP PU DLC CNT various metal coated ones.

I’d add that these differences are much more pronounced in full sized headphones, so it can be valuable to listen to examples of them to get a clearer idea of what the different technologies are capable of.

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #76,296 of 102,946
Just read “Silica Gel affects the performance for BA IEMs, if you store your IEM in less humid storage, it performs better” is this some kind of myth or anyone had some experience?

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #76,297 of 102,946
Moondrop Blessing 3 arrived.
E67BB9CE-A185-4CBD-AC91-34927A8D3920.jpeg

▶︎Personal Purchase from ShenzhenAudio at $319USD.

▶︎OOTB (Out of the box) and impression notes will be updated on this post.

—Timbre Impression: Sound Tasting
Top Note: Harmonious female vocal & Immersive ear gain and sound pressure
Heart Note: Neutral instruments, spatial and holographic imaging
Bottom Note: Natural diffusion decay followed by truly high-end class finesse and great sense of air

Tonal Balance:
Slightly Warm vocal-focused neutral
09BE7FB9-04FC-48C0-BD97-BC6CEF3A3FEE.png

OOTB comment:
Wow, the bass!!! 😳

Using Latex H570 ear tips
the tweet that I summarized the Aliexpress links you could possible procure this ear tip:
https://twitter.com/detroitbcm/status/1644154983447764992?s=10&t=0JEY5S3Hf1wWOxR34LyJdw

▶︎As a Hakugei Sea-Elf owner, I’m very certain this is 2 fullsize dynamic drivers sining in unison.

▶︎The bass gain level is very immersive and high despite the FR looks only a slight change from Blessing2. The perceived bass organic quality has improved significantly with neutrality still remained on focus.

▶︎When you compare Blessing 2 to 3, you would see a slight upper mid energy increase. You may wonder why, and now I‘m pretty certain that has to be done in order to balance out timbral accuracy. If not, the bass range’s sound pressure may overcast a cloud across upper registers.

▶︎The imaging is much more holographic and all weaknesses of Blessing 2 is no where to be found.

OOTB conclusion:
It's been three years since Blessing 2, which caused a sensation around the world, and although there have been side trips to Dusk and Variations during that time, Blessing 3 has finally returned to its roots with the original, all-around neutral approach.

The weak points of the Blessing 2, slow responding DD and the lackluster extension of the treble, have finally been patched.

I’d say Moondrop has FINALLY perfected “Moondrophouse sound with Blessing 3.

Great job @MOONDROP You’ve nailed it.

—A-B test with Blessing 2 / Variations / HEXA
390558EA-0B6E-44FB-A329-810D7DDB1065.jpeg

Following section will be conducted in a dark walk-in closet. The shell shape is almost identical, thus I feel a double blind test for following section would actually return some informative outputs. I will update the A-B sections later.

For A-B test consistency
👉Same ear tips used [Feaulle Latex H570]
👉All Using Stock Cable with 3.5mm SE plug

Scale = [ 0.0 ~ 10.0 ]
=============================
⭕️Note (Dry < Rich )

HEXA [5.0] < B3 [5.5] < B2 [5.8] < Variations [6.0]

⭕️Neutral Tonal Balance overall (Uncolored > Colored)

B2 [2.5] < B3 [3.0] < HEXA [4.0] <Variations [6.0]

⭕️Bass Presence: overall bass range mass x transient speed (if too quick, no perceived presence)

https://tidal.com/track/272909903
Modern Drum N’ Bass with Piano and spatial spices added, Bass presence is a must.

HEXA [5.5] < B2 [6.0] < B3 [7.5] <Variations [8.0]

⭕️Bass Slam (Heavy > Light) Transient Speed x Sub Bass Mass x Carrying Energy

https://tidal.com/track/91580143
From the Intro, the bass drum slams hard with deep deep reaching Floor Tom, an easy pick for the Bass Slam test.
Variations [9.5] > B3 [8.0] > HEXA [6.5] > B2 [6.0]

⭕️Bass Organic Quality (Organic > Artificial) Yes I care about bass a lot.

This is not quantity, it’s imaging texture x timbre dynamism (impulse response & inertia ) x spatial bass range resonance

https://tidal.com/track/222971111
Yo-Yo-Ma Cello x New York Phil x MQA, Bass quality performance doesn’t lie for this track.

⭕️Mid-Bass level (Scooped vs Bleed)

https://tidal.com/track/167963393
J-POP generally has a lower tolerance floor toward mid-bass. The Bassist and other mid-bass instruments/sound needs to at least stay 5m away from the main vocalist. If Bassist is positioned localized or in front of a vocalist or interfered with, unless the original mix is intended, will be considered a mid-bass bleed.

⭕️Mid-Harmonics

https://tidal.com/track/134158348
Masters of harmonics, Brian Eno and Roger Eno, they speak Harmonics instead of English. This whole album is a masterpiece. Let you know by the magic of simplicity and complexity can co-exist and each track has synesthetic colors.

⭕️Female Vocal Presence - Eastern

The track is from Nornis —a vocal unit from the Japanese Virtual Youtuber company Nijisanji— The unit features three female vocalists, including my favorite Inui Toko, who each have unique voices. The track is expected to showcase strong vocal harmonies

⭕️Female Vocal Presence - Western
https://tidal.com/track/64980702
Rinaldo, HWV, wider macro dynamic range.

⭕️6khz Sibilance (Not painful < Painful)

https://tidal.com/track/155965268
One good example of harsh-sounding vocal tracks is order from less sibilant. One of the deal breaker factors for some. Manually leveled overall gain equally to see if 6khz stands out.

⭕️Treble detail articulation

https://tidal.com/track/77611296
This Karajan x Berlin Phil x MQA x Mussorgsky is a very good test track for treble detail articulation. This will reveal IEM’s true spec when A-B is tested. No excuses because 10BA and EST drivers do outperform 2BA or Single BA, DDS.

⭕️Sense of Air /Finesse (10khz+ performance)

https://tidal.com/track/108119224
Heavily layered strings and brass would need good 10khz+ articulating capability.

⭕️Imaging Focus

Thanks to @FranQL for the discovery this track, from 7:00 has an exceptionally good imaging focus section. Upper mid balance will be crucial for imaging focus and it will be very personal HRTF dependent, I have 3.1khz pinna gain peak, so this imaging focus will only be beneficial for people close to mine.
https://tidal.com/track/154520073

⭕️Sound Pressure actuation (Macro Dynamism)

https://tidal.com/track/131729675
To some people, realistic sound pressure comes to the first of all checklist, this track has a wide range of sound pressures, sub-bass to air /finesse.

⭕️(Artificial /Colored) Diffusion Field -Size

This Mushishi SoundTrack is actually an artwork of Japanese Wabi&Sabi simplicity x complexity ; great for image diffusion field size & positioning conformity test.
track @02:01 is specially great for this test. Note that is simple size not how well the diffusion field is textured, that will be detail articulation sections above.

⭕️(Artificial /Colored ) Diffusion Field -Position Conformity & Imaging Localization

track @27:00 is specially great for this test. Diffusion Field /Headroom / Sound Stage size is not an evaluation point, this is to tell how well sound image within the projection field moves smoothly and how accurate imaging localization occurs without sudden hiccups. Both tuning and hardware performance are required.

⭕️Overall Resolving Capabilities (all frequency )

https://tidal.com/track/222971113
Again, very highly demanding orchestral that has resolution requirements from sub-bass all the way to the top end.

⭕️Personal Pick (2023)

Walk-Thru with narrative and FR analytics
—Blessing 2 vs Blessing 3
09BE7FB9-04FC-48C0-BD97-BC6CEF3A3FEE.png

TBD

—Variations vs Blessing 3
3745748B-8A8E-46DA-917D-22CF87E8675B.png

TBD

—HEXA vs Blessing 3
5809C4EA-7811-4C3D-8993-DCDC2946AF50.png

TBD

F6FF7EB2-0076-4983-A830-09804E526778.jpeg

—Package Waifu
42D61660-6257-4ED8-B853-05D0A602F7AF.jpeg

—Close shot
1837FC67-496B-4510-A0C6-609BA2C0C84B.jpeg
1D8B2BB1-B22E-4591-948A-1C65A4E67CAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #76,298 of 102,946
Just read “Silica Gel affects the performance for BA IEMs, if you store your IEM in less humid storage, it performs better” is this some kind of myth or anyone had some experience?
I've seen IEM dehumidifiers, build up can potentially damage drivers, removing moisture will increase longevity.

Improving performance is a claim I've never heard before.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #76,299 of 102,946
▶︎OTTB and notes will be updated on this post.
Nobody goes back, especially on VERY active threads... Will be very useful if you also post any updates as new posts. :pray:

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #76,300 of 102,946
I've seen IEM dehumidifiers, build up can potentially damage drivers, removing moisture will increase longevity.

Improving performance is a claim I've never heard before.
Yes me too, longevity is pretty understandable from oxidization prevention perspective🤔

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #76,301 of 102,946
Nobody goes back, especially on VERY active threads... Will be very useful if you also post any updates as new posts. :pray:
Well, I’m linking the post to twitter as well, so people flying from twitter won’t need to click several links for updates.

I generally refer back old post when making any updates, there should be a link to the updates👍

Thanks for the input though!

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #76,302 of 102,946
The 2 pin hole was damaged on my TangZu Wu Zetian, so the left ear stopped working. Now I have no planar IEMs left in my collection. Quite sad about this, because with the Blackcat and those Spinfit tips, they sounded absolutely gorgeous. I'm sad, and now torn if I'll replace them?
The OG Wu Zetian is 3D printed and not the most stable material. :/ Someone also reported broken nozzles. Hayday version at least got a full metal jacket?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #76,303 of 102,946

That's interesting, other places I tread around usually says DD bass is superior to Planars and BAs on all three characteristics

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #76,304 of 102,946

I've personally found DD bass to be more organic than Planar bass. That said....we are all exactly the same but different. We all read everything, as humans, in life, differently .....thankfully.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #76,305 of 102,946
Yes me too, longevity is pretty understandable from oxidization prevention perspective🤔
The smaller the moving parts are (as is the case with BAs, especially treble ones) - the more capillary condensation of water can be the case, and a potential problem. The condensation between the moving surfaces will naturally dampen the motion.
Dessicants, like silica, can alleviate condensation by decreasing humidity.

Some problem/uncertainty with the original statement is that the extent of the correlation is not clear.

For instance, for already overdampened Sonion BAs, humidity can totally overdampen and be quite bad.
While for cheerful bright bellsings, some dampening may happen to be not so bad thing for a smoother sound.

(Sorry for sounding boring, a long day...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back