The discovery thread!
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #75,166 of 104,470
They just say that because they can't be bothered with burning in IEMs. They literally have hundreds of FREE product rolling in every few months, so there is absolutely NO TIME for them to burn anything in to comment on it changing at any point. Plus they have to stick to their initial thoughts and impressions, otherwise people will start questioning their reviews and their ratings, and hence their legitimacy, so they mostly stick to their initial impressions, and then move on to the next shiny thing to review.
That makes total sense, it’s troublesome with the few this peasant........(I) get every month. :)

But Z Reviews does burn-in!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #75,167 of 104,470
Also how come nobody talks about pressure build up or am I just super sensitive to this?
Pressure build up in the Orchestra Lite is real, but I get used to it after awhile, but I think every internet reviewer mentions this issue. No venting. Pressure.

I think I did mentioned in my review of Orchestra Lite. It’s not the most comfortable experience. My trick is to pull the IEM against the ear canals to break the seal a bit to balance the pressure between the canal and the outside before sealing it again. Using flimsy tips like HS18 also works.

Of course if you are rolling in dole, grab 64 audio IEMs or FirAudio with APEX vents. Or if you are on a budget, stick to open dynamic IEMs like JD7. Or use flat head earbuds.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #75,168 of 104,470
The SR5 are brilliant for metal, kids. So I've been A/B'ing back and forth with their opposite twin the Fearless Audio Shangri-La. Both are 4+1 hybrids, but they are opposites in strengths. The SR5 has taut and resolving bass, while the Shangri-la have resolving, airy and extended treble, but the bass isn't as fast or taut as the SR5. Both have similar technicalities, stage, imaging, and comfort. The Shangri-la's are $215.00 on sale, and the SR5 are $150. The tuner for the SR5 did such a damn good job, that I'm enjoying these IEMs equally to the Fearless Audio. I wonder if their single DD SR1 is tuned as well as the SR5? Metalheads? Reach out and buy these. NOW.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #75,169 of 104,470
They just say that because they can't be bothered with burning in IEMs. They literally have hundreds of FREE product rolling in every few months, so there is absolutely NO TIME for them to burn anything in to comment on it changing at any point. Plus they have to stick to their initial thoughts and impressions, otherwise people will start questioning their reviews and their ratings, and hence their legitimacy, so they mostly stick to their initial impressions, and then move on to the next shiny thing to review.
Did “they” tell you this themselves. Or is this supposition on your part? Or that you’re entitled to believe in burn in, in the same way they may not?!

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #75,170 of 104,470
You seriously need more bass from the SR5? Brotha, you are truly a BASSHEAD.
all-about-that-bass-all-about.gif

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #75,171 of 104,470
Well many many don’t believe in burn-in. Crinacle and HBB don’t believe in it at all.
In my case, it's not about believing or not believing, it's about if the IEM sounds like cats ****ing at first listen, after 300 hours it sounds like cats ****ing, I've never found miracles....

can there be a slight improvement? for sure, but it doesn't go from rubbish to great in any case.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #75,172 of 104,470
The SR5 are brilliant for metal, kids. So I've been A/B'ing back and forth with their opposite twin the Fearless Audio Shangri-La. Both are 4+1 hybrids, but they are opposites in strengths. The SR5 has taut and resolving bass, while the Shangri-la have resolving, airy and extended treble, but the bass isn't as fast or taut as the SR5. Both have similar technicalities, stage, imaging, and comfort. The Shangri-la's are $215.00 on sale, and the SR5 are $150. The tuner for the SR5 did such a damn good job, that I'm enjoying these IEMs equally to the Fearless Audio. I wonder if their single DD SR1 is tuned as well as the SR5? Metalheads? Reach out and buy these. NOW.
I can agree with this, very fast and textured bass, good midrange and sufficient upper frequencies without sibilants. Technical fast death and black metal sound very good. But the most important thing is that Mike Patton's vocals sound great

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #75,173 of 104,470
In my case, it's not about believing or not believing, it's about if the IEM sounds like cats ****ing at first listen, after 300 hours it sounds like cats ****ing, I've never found miracles....

can there be a slight improvement? for sure, but it doesn't go from rubbish to great in any case.
In my experience, the major changes of 'certain' burn-in are the first few hours. I have quite a few IMR IEMs and have noticed burn in for a week or two.....including brain-burn in. I do think with IMR there is some de-facto burn-in, but a lot of brain burn in. Could be my age as I'm getting old, but my hearing measures good. I do think there is some burn-in, but the bulk of what we hear is brain-burn in, including moods, illnessess, likes, predudices. Jude of this very site has explained that once a person sees a FR graph, that changes how they then hear an IEM. How a group hears an IEM and its graph can affect what people 'hear'. Our minds and group minds are very complex.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #75,174 of 104,470
Cross posting from Sound Rhyme Thread

So Im finding that a 3.5 single ended is better than a 4.4 balanced cable; furthermore, since I havent found information on the sensitivity (dB/mW), this is what the volumes look like with impedance adapters. Base is 16 Ohms.

The SR05 is an efficiency IEM. I noticed a noise floor when I'm plugging into an amp and with a 25 ohm adapter, it completely disappears.
Why a higher impedance adapter? Because it increases the signal to noise ratio; even though, it requires more volume to get the same loudness, I'm finding there is more subass and less brightness in the treble with better details.

Right now I'm find the 50 ohm adapter is the best of both worlds. YMMV, so try it out yourself to find what your ears prefer.

Source
Samsung Note 20 Ultra
Venture Electronics Megatron
Venture Electronics 50 Ohm Impedance Adapter
3.5mm Yongse Palladium/Gold/Silver/Copper Mix Cable

20230327_201616.jpg
I love impedance adapters! My SR5 is running on a balanced cable with an xinhs adapter and then a 110 Ohm Adapter. This really inproved the sound.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #75,175 of 104,470
Correct, it changes the impedance curve, resulting in more bass quanity.
The impedance curve is the property of the transducer. It is not changed. What is changed is the frequency response in a (different) circuit with an impedance adapter.

Depending on the drivers, (and their connection and the crossover), impedance adapters actually can bring more of the higher frequencies (the case with most of my IEMs).

The claim on the balanced vs. non-balanced only reveals (the obvious) limitation of your source to drive your IEM, not the properties of the IEM again.

Hopefully, your cable helped to alleviate all the above limitations. Palladium cables do reveal... true competent audiophiles :)

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #75,177 of 104,470
I love impedance adapters! My SR5 is running on a balanced cable with an xinhs adapter and then a 110 Ohm Adapter. This really inproved the sound.
On the subject of impedance adapters, I really hope that some audiophile company will get to make variable impedance adapters.

To pitch the case, this simple small box with the knobs abd several different inputs (2.5 mm, 3.5 mm balanced and non-balanced, 4 5 mm, etc) and similar outputs can serve as:
1. A great variable balanced impedance adapter.
2. A tool to compensate for any channel disbalance or to accomodate different related needs.
3. A universal adapter between several interconnects.

No expensive parts to use, just connectors and variable resistors, and easy to sell at $50+.
It will be an amazing companion to a recent bunch of very low impedance IEMs.
Infinite configurations and possibilities with the rotating knob configurations.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #75,179 of 104,470
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #75,180 of 104,470
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back