The discovery thread!
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #71,821 of 104,343
If you haven't discovered TGXear yet, you should! Just got my Ripples and they blow my mind! Who knew earbuds could sound this good!?
TGX gets lots of good hype and response. I'm not a headphone guy or earbud guy, but if I was, I'd certainly pick up the Serratus.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #71,822 of 104,343
Screenshot_2023-01-29-11-19-53-733_com.android.chrome.jpgLooks like the Droplet is officially out. Have been going around and many don't seem to be excited about it, due to either it's Single BA config or it having a DSP. Anyone here interested in getting it though?
Yes, I thought it was going to be a China-exclusive, but it turns out it's going to be widely available. I am going to get it anyhow.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #71,823 of 104,343
Moondrop Droplet looks like a different flavour of the Quarks DSP in a better shell and with BA.
Ianfan has measured both and the 5-8k region is weird, might be coupler related. Or its just how the DSP tries to EQ away something.

I do like that the bass seems to rise earlier and a few dB extra low end.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 085221.png

https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/moondrop-droplet#

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #71,826 of 104,343
If you haven't discovered TGXear yet, you should! Just got my Ripples and they blow my mind! Who knew earbuds could sound this good!?
I am not earbud guy myself either, mainly since I get hot spots because of the shell. They do look very interesting with very much good praise.
Isolation is biggest concern, its what has dragged me more and more into IEMs.

Usually buds lack the lowest sub bass, while they are able to produce good mid bass. Is this better on any of the TGXear models?

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #71,827 of 104,343
Nice the measurement of the IE200 looks great, safer than IE600 if your treble sensitive.

Never tried a Sennheiser IEM, the fit looks good and ergonomic. But how deep is the nozzle? Worst I know is when they are too short.
I saw that you tested FAN (which for half the original price is a very good shot) and you liked them very much. You'll like the IE200s, too. The only annoyances are the cable and the silicone tips - both things to replace.
IMG20230129093529.jpg

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #71,828 of 104,343

An old iem but a brand new discovery for me. I'm a fan of Single DD iems one of the things I love is the variety of different sound signatures. THE NICEHCK TOPGUY is one such iem a very mids forward set with Titanium/Magnesium DD superb build quality and fab cable. I picked it brand new sealed off ebay for £100 a real bargain only ever found 1 YT review and a couple of headfi reviews. Thing is I enjoy more than a few Hype trains I've been suckered into buying.

This IEM seems very interesting to me, you can find it at those prices in this link in the form of a lucky bag.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExQYkVb

I was thinking about pulling the trigger, it's a DD that catches my attention (I usually go against the grain). In addition, their shape is similar to my Kbear diamond, which I really enjoy because I find them extremely comfortable on the go (thanks @baskingshark ) and those good finishes make them attractive, the cheap plastic finishes of others seem to me to be an inferior value regardless of the sound.

In addition, in the reddish color it seems to me a beauty!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #71,829 of 104,343
I am not earbud guy myself either, mainly since I get hot spots because of the shell. They do look very interesting with very much good praise.
Isolation is biggest concern, its what has dragged me more and more into IEMs.

Usually buds lack the lowest sub bass, while they are able to produce good mid bass. Is this better on any of the TGXear models?
I'm still just getting used to them, and keeping them seated firmly is challenging for me. I'm going to try fins like I use with my LCDi4s. But when properly in ear, they sound more like open headphones, like the LCDi4s, and have substantial bass. I read someone else saying that IEMs are more in your head where the buds are more like listening to great speakers. There's a difference that's awesome to experience. A definite must for everyone throwing money at the wall. No one doesn't like them.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #71,832 of 104,343
TRN Xuanwu (Bellsing SPD + Bellsing tweeter BA) purchased at $24 from TRN official aliexpress.

It comes with TRN T-tips (M)! Nice.

▶︎To my experience planar drivers are less sensitive to burn-in and this Bellsing SPD seems following the same traits

Sound Impression:

▶︎tonal balance wise it’s V-shaped. The TRN-V we know very well, and first thing I noticed is it sounds very fast! Wow, Bellsing has done a good job for SPD!

▶︎What I don’t like is the well known Bellsing BA-tweeter timbre, is very present. I think the BA tweeter is located very close to the nozzle outlet… KZ tackled with BA timbre by intentionally drop 4-6khz by jaw dropping 10db on new ZS5, but TRN says “no, we don’t want to dip! “ . You can see coupler’s internal resonance peak at 8khz is noticeably higher than other IEMs, it indicates the BA tweeter location is either in the nozzle or Pretty close. Even N5005 suffers from this BA timbre with several ways to deal with, TRN took imaging projection over timbre.

I may try some treble tame ear tips, as well as some cable roll to tune Xuanwu. Stock tuning is a bit too much for my preferred ones.

Overall I’m quite impressed with Bellsing’s Square Planar, maybe in the future we could see some better implementations with different tweeter combinations. SPD is a thing that sounds very planar and enjoyable, another Bellsing’s effort that crystalized.

Some FR cross comparison, HEXA as reference tuning.
You may take a look at my measurements here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/post-17368658
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/post-17368989

The QC/consistency is indeed disappointing.
You can see coupler’s internal resonance peak at 8khz is noticeably higher than other IEMs, it indicates the BA tweeter location is either in the nozzle or Pretty close.
IMO that is not entirely true. Tubed treble BA and placement of the treble BA near the nozzle, there shouldn't be a big difference. It is the resistor which acts as the attenuator in the circuit not taming the loudness (not resistive) enough.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #71,833 of 104,343
We do not however see a flood of posts, coming back from people who have purchased these products and been disappointed.
I can give you one.

Geek Wold GK10:

I read a "review" somewhere here from one of these Penon "reviewers". There were mentions of all the usual budget buzz phrases, "punches well above its price point", "way more resolving than you would expect for the price point", "competes with xx set at six times the price", and probably "competes with TOTL sets", which in a $50usd iem i should have been more dubious of.

Despite the love hearts, i blind bought (as you know we don't have much choice in this here in NZ) mostly based on this review, and was massively annoyed to find the GK10 to be an incoherent mess in ugly shells.

Terrible iem and i feel bad for the chump i sold them on to :/

Then again maybe they liked them. The subjectivity in this hobby is both a blessing and a cursed shield that "reviewers" can hide behind when they come out shilling.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #71,834 of 104,343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back