The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #64,786 of 103,924
Both the KZ AS16 Pro and the CCA PLA13 were decent purchases. So now we get someone trying to cram both of them into one shell. Is that why they couldn't fit a faceplate onto the damned thing? :ksc75smile:

Sometimes less is more... I have to admit. That looks like a mess.

Yep for sure driver count isn't as important as tuning and implementation.

But maybe BGVP had a bright idea of combining the best audio fetishes (exotic planar driver and high driver nuclear race count). Add in a waifu anime box packaging and it will sell like hotcakes!

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #64,787 of 103,924
Yep for sure driver count isn't as important as tuning and implementation.

But maybe BGVP had a bright idea of combining the best audio fetishes (exotic planar driver and high driver nuclear race count). Add in a waifu anime box packaging and it will sell like hotcakes!
Agreed. My favorite IEMs are 1-3 drivers. Something to be said for overkill...

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #64,788 of 103,924
BGVP has officially entered the planar wars.

Seems like it will be a 1 Planar + 1 DD + 8 BA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/517665269706033/posts/631459768326582/
https://www.facebook.com/BGVPaudio/...8F6msgVbbPhrn7o6iCooiqsjEo3suJ6EfdK5CzLe5dRal

BGVP has been pretty hit or miss in recent times (they also had a fake beryllium driver scandal), but wow, squeezing so many drivers inside that shell!

I think Crinacle once said that combining BAs with Planar drivers is useless because Planars don't need treble extension unlike DDs.

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #64,789 of 103,924
I think Crinacle once said that combining BAs with Planar drivers is useless because Planars don't need treble extension unlike DDs.
As someone who daily Planar Headphone (HE400i 2020), what it lack is not treble.
Its Rumble/moving air for the bass.

my other headphone, ATH-M40x is more of neutral set, but it still have more impactfull bass than my hifiman.

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #64,790 of 103,924
https://www.linsoul.com/products/tanchjim-zero?variant=43124310409433

I shouldn't have underestimated this little guy?
Mind-bending how good it is? And when you add the cost to performance ratio? Surreal!
DSC_0043.jpeg23.jpeg
DSC_0030.jpeg1.jpeg

With a bit of power behind this one and your favourite tip to bend the sound to your preference this one is a killer neutral set that doesn't lack noteweight thanks to its excellent low end expression.

Definitely a genre dependent IEM though - throw anything acoustic at it and it'll sing but metal (I was listening to RATM selftitled album) and it's too thin.

BGVP has officially entered the planar wars.

Seems like it will be a 1 Planar + 1 DD + 8 BA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/517665269706033/posts/631459768326582/
https://www.facebook.com/BGVPaudio/...8F6msgVbbPhrn7o6iCooiqsjEo3suJ6EfdK5CzLe5dRal

BGVP has been pretty hit or miss in recent times (they also had a fake beryllium driver scandal), but wow, squeezing so many drivers inside that shell!

What immediately came to mind was a scene from Jurassic Park in the inGEN lab with Dr Malcolm - "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"...

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong!

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #64,791 of 103,924
With a bit of power behind this one and your favourite tip to bend the sound to your preference this one is a killer neutral set that doesn't lack noteweight thanks to its excellent low end expression.

Definitely a genre dependent IEM though - throw anything acoustic at it and it'll sing but metal (I was listening to RATM selftitled album) and it's too thin.

What immediately came to mind was a scene from Jurassic Park in the inGEN lab with Dr Malcolm - "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"...

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong!
Yes, I just did a quick listen. I agree the note weight is way more than expected, as is the size of the stage. Funny the songs I were listening to were New Age, haven't got to Metal yet. I was waiting for the "but.......except.......all but......" to come, I guess that will be it! Lol.

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #64,792 of 103,924
Planar + DD is where my eyes are set currently. If the crossover implements DD up to low mids and above that the planar, I think the two could work well together. I've not had issues with micro detail and extension from these planar drivers.

My main issue would be coherence and timbral difference. The more I listen to planar the more obvious the difference becomes.

Making tribrids at this point when we haven't had a solid planar+DD seems like a very lofty goal.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #64,793 of 103,924
Planar + DD is where my eyes are set currently. If the crossover implements DD up to low mids and above that the planar, I think the two could work well together. I've not had issues with micro detail and extension from these planar drivers.

My main issue would be coherence and timbral difference. The more I listen to planar the more obvious the difference becomes.

Making tribrids at this point when we haven't had a solid planar+DD seems like a very lofty goal.

I agree. Planar with good tuning and good damper is already very resolving, fast, tight, and just need 1 DD to help pushing the air.
16mm DD + 14mm Planar with great tuning and correct damping will be killer set up. Just let the DD handle sub bass part only, 40hz below, let the planar overlap it for all range

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #64,794 of 103,924
I agree. Planar with good tuning and good damper is already very resolving, fast, tight, and just need 1 DD to help pushing the air.
16mm DD + 14mm Planar with great tuning and correct damping will be killer set up. Just let the DD handle sub bass part only, 40hz below, let the planar overlap it for all range

I had great success with S12 by dampening its nozzle and back vents. TOTL sound right there. I’m curious what kind of advances we will see by combining planar with other driver types.

I wonder how soon we will see planar + EST for multi kilobuck price

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #64,795 of 103,924

Cough, TRI I3 Pro, cough! :L3000:

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #64,797 of 103,924

Potentially subbass only for the DD but my heart tells me let it handle everything to the start of high mids, the mids need some DD timbre to support.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #64,798 of 103,924
What do you make of this one?

TRI I3Pro is one of my favorites. Tuning is defiantly warm. Dynamic driver for bass is mid-bass focused, rich and full, not fast. Planar mids are highlight and BA fits neatly on top to give treble, which is delicate. The drivers work together seamlessly. The highs don't sizzle, treble-heads would hate it. It's more of a guilty pleasure bass-head IEM.

If you like the Tipsy TTROMSO this is a step up in the same vein, but with better technicalities. If you want the warmth toned down with a more balanced tuning get the AQ4 instead.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #64,799 of 103,924
Potentially subbass only for the DD but my heart tells me let it handle everything to the start of high mids, the mids need some DD timbre to support.

The mid bass and upper bass from the DD wont be tight like planar bass, they have control and speed like BA so i prefer mid and upper bass handled by planar, the DD just push the air on 40hz below together with planar bass sound (this is what i wish perfection from my Z1R, little bit perfection tightness on mid and upper bass like my modded timeless, well the Z1R already close to perfection, just me being nitpicking b4st4rd)

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #64,800 of 103,924
TRI I3Pro is one of my favorites. Tuning is defiantly warm. Dynamic driver for bass is mid-bass focused, rich and full, not fast. Planar mids are highlight and BA fits neatly on top to give treble, which is delicate. The drivers work together seamlessly. The highs don't sizzle, treble-heads would hate it. It's more of a guilty pleasure bass-head IEM.

If you like the Tipsy TTROMSO this is a step up in the same vein, but with better technicalities. If you want the warmth toned down with a more balanced tuning get the AQ4 instead.

Cheers for the insight. Lately I've been eschewing warm sets for more neutrality in the bass. It fits my library better. The issue being that neutrality with planars inevitably sounds dry and unnatural due to the speed and IEM acoustics that leaves nothing to the imagination. What remains to be seen for me is, can a planar be neutral and natural at the same time? I don't think so.

This is why I'm hankering for a subtle bass boost DD for lows and low mids to provide organic weight and timbre and planar for the incisive finer detail and air up top.

I've recently found the Tanchjim Zero has a tonal balance that sits right in a neutral sweet spot for bass and midrange, it just lacks from a technical perspective and doesn't carry as much air or sparkle as planars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back