The discovery thread!
Feb 1, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #61,636 of 103,942
Saw this mentioned on the "Portable tube amp from china?" thread.
Turns out to be basically what I was wanting to do, with mods to the Little Bear B4-X.
The B4-X has a Single-Ended Input, a pair of small Raytheon RF tubes in the preamp section, with a pair of dual channel op-amps driving the Single-Ended and Balanced Outputs.
I had an idea of modifying it to have a Balanced Input, two additional tubes, and more battery life & stronger power supply - that can operate while connected to external power to charge. (The B4-X can operate for ~4 - 4.5 hours, and then has to charge for ~2 - 2.5 hours, before being used again.)

Enter - the KAEI TAP-1S - Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Portable Amp & Desktop Power Supply - 4x tubes in preamp, 2x socketed op-amps in driver stage, discrete transistor output stage - Input (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS); Output (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS) (portable = 1.5-W/Ch ; desktop = 2.45-W/Ch)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002983396935.html

I really do like the sound of this Tube Hybrid Amp.

For those of you have have tried mods on the Zishan DSD and DSDs - the TAP-1S unfortunately shares the same sort case, with end-caps that come off, and a pair of circuit boards that slide into the case from the end. This limits the height of replacement op-amps to possibly using a Burson V5i. It would be much easier to do op-amp rolling, if the case was like the Zishan Z1/Z2/Z3 - where the top of the case can be removed, allowing easy access to the op-amp sockets, while the circuit boards are protected by the case bottom. So, now I'm thinking of ways to cut the sides (but still keep things securely attached together) - to allow the top to be removed.

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #61,637 of 103,942
Saw this mentioned on the "Portable tube amp from china?" thread.
Turns out to be basically what I was wanting to do, with mods to the Little Bear B4-X.
The B4-X has a Single-Ended Input, a pair of small Raytheon RF tubes in the preamp section, with a pair of dual channel op-amps driving the Single-Ended and Balanced Outputs.
I had an idea of modifying it to have a Balanced Input, two additional tubes, and more battery life & stronger power supply - that can operate while connected to external power to charge. (The B4-X can operate for ~4 - 4.5 hours, and then has to charge for ~2 - 2.5 hours, before being used again.)

Enter - the KAEI TAP-1S - Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Portable Amp & Desktop Power Supply - 4x tubes in preamp, 2x socketed op-amps in driver stage, discrete transistor output stage - Input (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS); Output (3.5mm TRS & 4.4mm TRRRS) (portable = 1.5-W/Ch ; desktop = 2.45-W/Ch)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002983396935.html

I really do like the sound of this Tube Hybrid Amp.

For those of you have have tried mods on the Zishan DSD and DSDs - the TAP-1S unfortunately shares the same sort case, with end-caps that come off, and a pair of circuit boards that slide into the case from the end. This limits the height of replacement op-amps to possibly using a Burson V5i. It would be much easier to do op-amp rolling, if the case was like the Zishan Z1/Z2/Z3 - where the top of the case can be removed, allowing easy access to the op-amp sockets, while the circuit boards are protected by the case bottom. So, now I'm thinking of ways to cut the sides (but still keep things securely attached together) - to allow the top to be removed.

Oh, I'd love to get my hands on the combo unit. The portable unit also puts out quite respectable desktop numbers already, and is cheaper alone. Still, the combo looks badass.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #61,638 of 103,942
I bought around 20 hard cases from Aliexpress at $1 USD each. Yes $1 USD, not an error!

They look like the above. Just search "KZ ABS resin" on Aliexpress and multiple shops sell it. The inner lining is lined with some sponge thing. Very hardy and cheap and good.

Best part is I have a similar case from Westone which costs $20 USD. Just because they emblazoned some lame brand logo on it, they conveniently jacked up the price by 20x LOL.
These used to cost ~10-15$ from China as well a few years ago. The price went down and they can now be found for ~2-5$ before shipping. It's just economy of scale...Westone paid more than what you paid when they got them...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #61,639 of 103,942
These used to cost ~10-15$ from China as well a few years ago. The price went down and they can now be found for ~2-5$ before shipping. It's just economy of scale...Westone paid more than what you paid when they got them...

Actually I bought some of these cases from Aliexpress around 5 years ago, and they were already $1 USD each even back then.

Most of these western brand gear are made in China anyways, I am pretty sure the western brands do mark stuff up; I had some Westone IEMs, the recent models were proudly declared to be "designed in USA, made in China". I'd be honest and say a lot of the modern day western IEMs don't have great price to performance ratio when compared with CHIFI. Companies like Shure and Westone are not competitive nowadays, I used to buy their gear 15 years ago but have since moved on.

Some western companies have even closed in recent times due to the intense competition (kind of a survival of fittest thing), eg Audiofly, RHA. Sennheiser also had to sell away their consumer wing. Perhaps this is partially due to covid doing a number on them, but I think consumers also have wised up.

Therein lies the rub, the CHIFI companies have economies of scale as you say. Maybe they have cheaper labour and costs/materials and some don't really care about licensing and patents. Some don't really spend much on R&D or marketing compared to Western brands. QC is also a bit dodgy sometimes for budget CHIFI, but the barrier for entry to this hobby has been lowered due to CHIFI. Prices have been depressed and there is no need to sell a kidney now to get a multi-driver IEM, compared to just a few years back.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #61,641 of 103,942

Best Of Its Class 🔥 - Dunu Titan S​

Dunu Titan S vs Moondrop Aria vs Tin T3 Plus

Dunu Titan S.png

Dunu Titan S - $79usd, 1DD. I will say it right away. The Dunu Titan S is probably one of the best 1DD IEM you can buy for under $100usd. Technicality wise, it beats the Moondrop Aria slightly and beats the Tin T3 Plus by a HUGE margin. In terms of tonality, just like the Aria and T3 Plus, the Titan S is also tuned close to the Harman 2019 Target, but with lesser bass boost (refer to FR graph below). Bass is clean punchy and decently textured, midrange is natural and clean, female vocals sound engaging yet non-fatiguing, and treble is well-extended, smooth, and airy.

In terms of its technicalities, it has good soundstage width with decent depth and height, very good imaging and detail retrieval for the price, decent dynamics, and timbre is also very good. Not to mention, it is also pretty easy to drive.

Here's a simplified technical breakdown of the 3 IEMs below.

DUNU TITAN S VS TIN T3 PLUS VS MOONDROP ARIA:​

• Bass: Aria > Titan S > T3 Plus
  • Lower Mids: Aria > Titan S = T3 Plus
  • Upper Mids: Titan S > Aria = T3 Plus
  • Treble: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus
  • Soundstage: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus (widest but bad depth/height)
  • Layering: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus
  • Imaging: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus
  • Timbre: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus
  • Detail/Resolution: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus
  • Dynamics: Aria > Titan S > T3 Plus
  • Value: Titan S > Aria > T3 Plus

As you can see from the comparison above, the Titan S is a slight upgrade over the Aria and absolutely triumphs the underwhelming Tin T3 Plus (Tin T3 Plus owners, I am so sorry). Not to mention, it is also better than both Tin T3 Plus and Moondrop Aria accessory-wise. Dunu Titan S comes with a better cable, better eartips (3 different types!), a better case, and a sexier looking shell design.

However, despite me sounding like an absolute shill over the Dunu Titan S, it is still not perfect. In terms of cons, the dynamics could be better, bass texture could be better, bass quantity might be lacking for some (if you like more bass buy Aria), and fit might also be an issue for some (I find the shorter nozzle black/blue tips to fit me very well).

In conclusion, I highly recommend the Dunu Titan S. If you are looking for an all-rounder 1DD IEM under $100usd, the Dunu Titan S should be at the top of your shopping list. The Dunu Titan S will receive my first ever 5 out of 5 rating. Great job Dunu. The Titan S is amazing for its price - 5/5

Huge thanks to DUNU for sending the Dunu Titan S over. This review unit is provided by them as part of their Malaysian Dunu review tour. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Interested in getting the Dunu Titan S? Here are the links (non-affiliated):

Dunu Titan S vs Tin T3 Plus.png

Dunu Titan S vs Moondrop Aria.png

20220201_012542-01.jpg

Attachments

• 20220201_012629.jpg
    20220201_012629.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220201_012640.jpg
    20220201_012640.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220201_013050.jpg
    20220201_013050.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #61,642 of 103,942

Dunu Titan S.png

Dunu Titan S - $79usd, 1DD. I will say it right away. The Dunu Titan S is probably one of the best 1DD IEM you can buy for under $100usd. Technicality wise, it beats the Moondrop Aria slightly and beats the Tin T3 Plus by a HUGE margin. In terms of tonality, just like the Aria and T3 Plus, the Titan S is also tuned close to the Harman 2019 Target, but with lesser bass boost (refer to FR graph below). Bass is clean punchy and decently textured, midrange is natural and clean, female vocals sound engaging yet non-fatiguing, and treble is well-extended, smooth, and airy.

In terms of its technicalities, it has good soundstage width with decent depth and height, very good imaging and detail retrieval for the price, decent dynamics, and timbre is also very good. Not to mention, it is also pretty easy to drive.

As you can see from the comparison above, the Titan S is a slight upgrade over the Aria and absolutely triumphs the underwhelming Tin T3 Plus (Tin T3 Plus owners, I am so sorry). Not to mention, it is also better than both Tin T3 Plus and Moondrop Aria accessory-wise. Dunu Titan S comes with a better cable, better eartips (3 different types!), a better case, and a sexier looking shell design.

However, despite me sounding like an absolute shill over the Dunu Titan S, it is still not perfect. In terms of cons, the dynamics could be better, bass texture could be better, bass quantity might be lacking for some (if you like more bass buy Aria), and fit might also be an issue for some (I find the shorter nozzle black/blue tips to fit me very well).

In conclusion, I highly recommend the Dunu Titan S. If you are looking for an all-rounder 1DD IEM under $100usd, the Dunu Titan S should be at the top of your shopping list. The Dunu Titan S will receive my first ever 5 out of 5 rating. Great job Dunu. The Titan S is amazing for its price - 5/5

Huge thanks to DUNU for sending the Dunu Titan S over. This review unit is provided by them as part of their Malaysian Dunu review tour. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

20220201_012542-01.jpg
From your impression, Titan S has better bass, but T3 plus has more quantity. In which ways Titan S low end trumps T3 plus?

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #61,643 of 103,942
From your impression, Titan S has better bass, but T3 plus has more quantity. In which ways Titan S low end trumps T3 plus?

T3 Plus bass lacks texture and resolution. It sounds smeared, soft, and one-notey. Not at all enjoyable for me

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #61,644 of 103,942

Dunu Titan S.png

20220201_012542-01.jpg
Will you try tripowin leá ?

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #61,645 of 103,942

https://tenor.com/brFCs.gif

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #61,646 of 103,942
Opus #3 = HUGE SOUND. WIDE AND TALL.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #61,647 of 103,942
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #61,648 of 103,942

Users who are viewing this thread

Back