The discovery thread!
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #61,576 of 103,954
I felt like I never talk about how to get good audio on iPhones, so here's my review on a lightning dongle, the Maktar Spectra X2. The name may not ring a bell, but NextDrive surely should, and they renamed to Maktar Spectra now, the company offering what I consider to be a really good sound for those who prefer the apple to the robots~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/01/maktar-spectra-x2-power-for-apples.html

Maktar-Next-Drive-Spectra-X2-iPhone-DAC-AMP-IEMs-Voltage-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Lightning-05.jpg
Dunno if it's appropriate to do this but if you could/ want to, the ikko zerda itm05 (it's almost a year old or so just like the spectra) it's the best iOS dongle around. Sad that nobody talks about it. It truly deserves a spot. It was the last dongle I had before migrating to android.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #61,577 of 103,954
Dunno if it's appropriate to do this but if you could/ want to, the ikko zerda itm05 (it's almost a year old or so just like the spectra) it's the best iOS dongle around. Sad that nobody talks about it. It truly deserves a spot. It was the last dongle I had before migrating to android.

Thank you for the heads-up!

I had the type-C variant of ITM05, before it developed a problem, I think I somehow broke the cable when installing it, but in the meanwhile IKKO focused more on OH1S Gems, OH2, and IMT01, so I never got around to fixing the ITM05 yet.

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #61,578 of 103,954
Do you think I would similarly not like the OH10 if I thought the OH1 lacked coherency between the drivers?
I can't decide for you. But if the frequency responses are almost the same between OH1 and OH10 and you find inconsistencies between drivers.... It is possible that you think the same about OH10. In my opinion, I hold this OH10 model in high esteem, being among the most used ones. I would prefer a different low end sound and a somewhat different tuning from the high mids onwards. But I don't find that inconsistency. Maybe I call it something else.
The OH1 sounded a bit harsh to me. The OH10 polished the end of the notes, without losing analytical ability. That's the refinement I'm referring to.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #61,580 of 103,954
New Shozy Magma EST Tribrid.
1643296304107.png

Shozy MAGMA 2EST + 1BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi In-ear Earphone Audiophile IEMS
Description

Electrostatic tweeter

lt's every audiophile's dream to have a pair of electrostatics in their living room. With the development of the Electrostatic Tweeter, Sonion brings the same technology inside the ear canal, without the need for an external amplifier.
Meticulously tuned with only the best components for ultra-low distortion performance
Proprietary compound-molecule composite membrane
Knowles mid-range balanced armatures
Sonion dual-EST super tweeters
Ergonomic design with 3D printed inner framework
Cable terminated in 2.5/4.4/3.5mm
Selected high-purity silver-plated copper cable with enhanced shielding
Melodious & harmonious sound design

The quartet design weaves together seamlessly best selected drivers from 3 domains. The bass energy of dynamic drivers, the micro-details retrieval in balanced armatures and cutting-edge tweeter technology powered by Sonion intertwines for an ultra-low distortion, immersive sound experience.

Revolutionary, electrostatic technology
A good tweeter is the “icing on the cake” of a good earphone.
It's every audiophile's dream to have a pair of electrostatics in their living room. With the development of the Electrostatic Tweeter, Sonion brings the same technology inside the ear canal, without the need for an external amplifier.
Knowles balanced armature
Knowles' tiny balanced armature drivers occupy less than 1/2 the volume of the smallest dynamic speakers, yet provide premium sound. Small enough to fit in the ear tip, balanced armature drivers allow more room in hear-ables for sensors, additional features, or a larger battery, without sacrificing comfort. Their high efficiency means longer battery life in the coming next.
Proprietary compound-molecule composite dynamic driver
High magnetic flux for enhanced transient response and micro-details capturing power. Natural, super-fast response and an extreme smooth articulation achieved by meticulously engineered cross-over network that maximizes sensitivity and efficiency.

Purity for clarity

Every pair of Magma IEM comes with a high quality and purity silver-plated copper cable with selected gauge and formation, this is designed for enhanced sonic performance and uncompromised quality with enhanced shielding.

Every pair is built unique
Assembled, tuned and polished by hands.
Specification
Brand: Shozy

Model: MAGMA
Driver: 2 EST + 1BA + 1 dynamic
EST: 2 Sonion custom driver for ultra-high frequency
Balanced armature : Knowles custom driver for mid-high frequency
Dynamic : 9.2mm composite molecular diaphragm
Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 21ohm@1kHz
Sensitivity: 105dB±1dB@1kHz
THD: <0.1%@1kHz
Crossover: 3-way independent sound pathway
Cable: 4 braid high purity silver-plated oxygen copper
Cable length: 1.2m
Termination: 2pin 0.78mm

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #61,581 of 103,954
Price - $499.00. Looks good.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #61,583 of 103,954
I like how these hybrids with EST drivers are going down in price. If they can keep the tuning right, especially with those EST's, then they can sound exceptional. The Moondrop Variations is another one. The Variations was probably my best value purchase during last years holidays, cost about $440 on sale, but gives $900 sound.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #61,584 of 103,954
I like how these hybrids with EST drivers are going down in price. If they can keep the tuning right, especially with those EST's, then they can sound exceptional. The Moondrop Variations is another one. The Variations was probably my best value purchase during last years holidays, cost about $440 on sale, but gives $900 sound.

Nice to see some praise for the Variations. Those are my first big step forward from the budget level and I've got some expectations. Got them at last years BF for 430$ after I had a chance to give Blessing 2 a try, and hope to receive them in the middle of the next month. The wait has been tough on me, but I hope it pays off. I also hope that my source won't limit their performance too much.

I'd love to see more reasonably priced self-powered DAC/AMPs on the market instead of a wild stream of all those new dongles being released what seems like every weekend.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #61,585 of 103,954
Jan 27, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #61,586 of 103,954
New Shozy Magma EST Tribrid.
1643296304107.png
Shozy MAGMA 2EST + 1BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi In-ear Earphone Audiophile IEMS
Description

Electrostatic tweeter

lt's every audiophile's dream to have a pair of electrostatics in their living room. With the development of the Electrostatic Tweeter, Sonion brings the same technology inside the ear canal, without the need for an external amplifier.
Meticulously tuned with only the best components for ultra-low distortion performance
Proprietary compound-molecule composite membrane
Knowles mid-range balanced armatures
Sonion dual-EST super tweeters
Ergonomic design with 3D printed inner framework
Cable terminated in 2.5/4.4/3.5mm
Selected high-purity silver-plated copper cable with enhanced shielding
Melodious & harmonious sound design

The quartet design weaves together seamlessly best selected drivers from 3 domains. The bass energy of dynamic drivers, the micro-details retrieval in balanced armatures and cutting-edge tweeter technology powered by Sonion intertwines for an ultra-low distortion, immersive sound experience.

Revolutionary, electrostatic technology
A good tweeter is the “icing on the cake” of a good earphone.
It's every audiophile's dream to have a pair of electrostatics in their living room. With the development of the Electrostatic Tweeter, Sonion brings the same technology inside the ear canal, without the need for an external amplifier.
Knowles balanced armature
Knowles' tiny balanced armature drivers occupy less than 1/2 the volume of the smallest dynamic speakers, yet provide premium sound. Small enough to fit in the ear tip, balanced armature drivers allow more room in hear-ables for sensors, additional features, or a larger battery, without sacrificing comfort. Their high efficiency means longer battery life in the coming next.
Proprietary compound-molecule composite dynamic driver
High magnetic flux for enhanced transient response and micro-details capturing power. Natural, super-fast response and an extreme smooth articulation achieved by meticulously engineered cross-over network that maximizes sensitivity and efficiency.

Purity for clarity

Every pair of Magma IEM comes with a high quality and purity silver-plated copper cable with selected gauge and formation, this is designed for enhanced sonic performance and uncompromised quality with enhanced shielding.

Every pair is built unique
Assembled, tuned and polished by hands.
Specification
Brand: Shozy

Model: MAGMA
Driver: 2 EST + 1BA + 1 dynamic
EST: 2 Sonion custom driver for ultra-high frequency
Balanced armature : Knowles custom driver for mid-high frequency
Dynamic : 9.2mm composite molecular diaphragm
Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 21ohm@1kHz
Sensitivity: 105dB±1dB@1kHz
THD: <0.1%@1kHz
Crossover: 3-way independent sound pathway
Cable: 4 braid high purity silver-plated oxygen copper
Cable length: 1.2m
Termination: 2pin 0.78mm
Given shozy Pola and POLA 39 that i have tried, hopefully this will not depend much on the tips and source synergy and provide that amount of beautiful details and feel of the treble region with adding better not V shaped mids.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #61,587 of 103,954
Can you give us an example?
TRI TK-2, Aune BU2, iFi Hip Dac. Maybe something akin to FiiO's BTR5 and Shanling's UP5 even. Of course, "reasonably priced" is a pretty vague criteria, but the first two examples might give you the idea. I think this type of devices is severely underrepresented and I'd like to see more offers out there. Of course, there are other portable iFi's products, as well as Chord Mojo, but those are in another league, price wise at least.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #61,588 of 103,954
I can't decide for you. But if the frequency responses are almost the same between OH1 and OH10 and you find inconsistencies between drivers.... It is possible that you think the same about OH10. In my opinion, I hold this OH10 model in high esteem, being among the most used ones. I would prefer a different low end sound and a somewhat different tuning from the high mids onwards. But I don't find that inconsistency. Maybe I call it something else.
The OH1 sounded a bit harsh to me. The OH10 polished the end of the notes, without losing analytical ability. That's the refinement I'm referring to.
Gotcha, much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #61,589 of 103,954
TRI TK-2, Aune BU2, iFi Hip Dac. Maybe something akin to FiiO's BTR5 and Shanling's UP5 even. Of course, "reasonably priced" is a pretty vague criteria, but the first two examples might give you the idea. I think this type of devices is severely underrepresented and I'd like to see more offers there. Of course, there are other iFi's products, as well as Chord Mojo, but those are in another league, price wise at least.

Got it. I love my $130.00 Hip-DAC. I have an xDuoo X10T II portable digital transport velcro-ed to it most of the time. Great sound for the prices. Can power almost headphone on the market.

IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1146.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back