The discovery thread!
Dec 14, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #61,186 of 102,826
No one has ever called me legendary so I appreciate that. I feel honored.
I do personally admire your amazing positivity, so it makes the double hit :)

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #61,187 of 102,826
I know you missed me for the past few days, as I've been on a short vacation, but don't worry, I'm back and ready to help you get more from your music! Today's review will focus around an entry-level baguette, but one that can make sonic pleasures.

I'm talking about the A30 DAC/AMP Dongle made by SoundMAGIC, great for portability, can decode DSD, and has a nice sound too~

More info in the full written review, for your reading pleasure :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/12/soundmagic-a30-dac-amp-baguette-of-sonics.html

Soundmagic-A30-DAC-AMP-Amplifier-Digital-Converter-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-03.jpg

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #61,188 of 102,826
Shout out to DSNUTS, how are you bro?
It's been like what, 10 years back?
I'm just really delighted to be able to log in and locate this thread.
Ps: I've gone thru 4 pairs of HAFX-40 and about to burn in the last pair 😆
Went online to look for some cheap iems and ordered KZ-ZEX and EDX, omg ! Things have advanced so, so far !
Those FX40's are so rare nowadays. Did you buy in bulk when they were around? I had the opportunity to buy an old pair on ebay, but decided not to pull the trigger, and bought a pair of KEF M200 for $70 that I still use.

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #61,189 of 102,826
Dec 15, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #61,190 of 102,826

BQEYZ Autumn first impressions:

Stellar build quality, excellent stock cable. However the nozzle is a bit on the large side and at somewhat of an odd angle for my ear anatomy, so tip rolling is a must, and the included tips (one set of wide bore, one set of narrow) didn't really do it for me. I've had the best success with Final Es so far.

I haven't tried swapping out the magnetic tuning filters yet, all listening has been on the default Normal filters.

Tonality is a mild U-shape, with more emphasis on the upper mids and treble than on the bass.

Bass is extremely high-quality, slightly elevated but not ostentatiously so. Good control, fairly speedy but not unnaturally quick, very good DD bass implementation.

Mids are fairly neutral, perhaps just slightly recessed but they're still very satisfying for me even being a mids lover. Female vocals are a bit more forward than male, but both are very well done. Male vocals aren't thin by any means.

Treble is probably the highlight here, despite being usually the weakest area of single-DD IEMs. Clarity is superb, decay is spot-on, and there is plenty of air. It is slightly peaky and the 5K peak in particular might bother some people at higher listening levels or poorly-recorded tracks, but I find the sparkle and clarity to be very pleasing on most tracks.

Technicalities are superb for a single DD. Stage is expansive, good layering and separation, imaging is very good, resolution is superb, timbre is outstanding.

I have a lot more listening to do, as well as experimentation with the magnetic tuning system, but my initial impression is that this is my new default rec for a well-balanced, technical single DD in the $100-$200 price range. It really is a better-tuned version of the NF Audio NM2+/NA2+.
I am still putting them on burn,
Least changes I have felt- is bass being tightened and highs getting more separated and cleared.
I think this still feels damped driver haha !! They need a few days to open up, i feel !!
Before any one asks i did try a few songs for 15mins and then left it for burn in for 3 days now haha
and again tried the same songs haha, still vocals feel a little constricted.

Any changes you observed ?

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #61,191 of 102,826
I am still putting them on burn,
Least changes I have felt- is bass being tightened and highs getting more separated and cleared.
I think this still feels damped driver haha !! They need a few days to open up, i feel !!
Before any one asks i did try a few songs for 15mins and then left it for burn in for 3 days now haha
and again tried the same songs haha, still vocals feel a little constricted.

Any changes you observed ?
yes, I also noticed that after warming up the bass becomes better as well as the mids.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #61,192 of 102,826
Kz & Crinacle CRN (ZEX Pro)

Graph looks different not a classic KZ tuning. I see a peak at the 8k and wonder if there's sibilance. BA is not in the nozzle, nice to see...

Using 1DD + 1BA + Magnetostatic.
SmartSelect_20211215-104945_Opera.jpg

SmartSelect_20211215-105113_Opera.jpg

Link to the product:
https://www.kztws.com/products/zexproxcrinclecrn

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #61,193 of 102,826
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #61,194 of 102,826
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #61,195 of 102,826
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #61,196 of 102,826
Those FX40's are so rare nowadays. Did you buy in bulk when they were around? I had the opportunity to buy an old pair on ebay, but decided not to pull the trigger, and bought a pair of KEF M200 for $70 that I still use.
Maybe we should create a thread called 'The Re-Discovery Thread - a blast from the past'.

Opened my drawer - ah there they (FX40) are. Popped them in and - hmmm. My taste has changed over the years for sure.

Looks like I keep digging in my drawer today, so thank you for that, it will be fun.

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #61,197 of 102,826
yes, I also noticed that after warming up the bass becomes better as well as the mids.
Same. But also this might have been from tip rolling. Strangely now I am liking the large stock wide bore tips even though usually I use small or medium.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #61,198 of 102,826
It is Wednesday, so we have something special, a video review on HIFIMAN Electronics Deva PRO Headphones!

Those are some interesting cans, with R2R tech, an awesome Bluetooth Receiver with LDAC, aptX HD, and which can work as a USB DAC, with a wide, yet punchy sound!

More info, as well as my usual style and background music in the full video review~

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #61,199 of 102,826
Same. But also this might have been from tip rolling. Strangely now I am liking the large stock wide bore toss even though usually I use small or medium.
When i started with portable audio, some experienced people told me to start with tip rolling as that makes the most difference and variation in SQ.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #61,200 of 102,826
Yup, after auditing one, my next order was for 10 pcs, six were given out to friends and family members. Over the years they were worn out, cables broken (I sleep with them on) and I'm now down to my last pair.
They were that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back