The discovery thread!
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #33,691 of 103,506
Oh man that hardware on the M3s. There is no possible way that is gonna sound remotely average.

For me. I absolutely love the AK4490 chips in my X5iii but somehow I feel the amp portion of the X5iii is being a bit under under utilized especially in balanced mode. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on that player.

I'm looking forward to hear your impressions when it arrives.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #33,693 of 103,506
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #33,695 of 103,506
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #33,696 of 103,506
Only about an hour and a half on them. Also using the Zeskit cable which I would recommend cause it is $8 or $6 on sale and is worth it. Had it on my Koss for a couple of weeks and made them sound bigger and tighter and more airy. Same on the AR3 though the AR stock cable seems a bit better than the Koss stock cable is. Still the same effect on the sound if not quite the amount of improvement.

AR3 gets a nice amount of praise for it's bass and I am in agreemnet. I am hearing it go very low and would seem to outdo any other thing I have at the moment including their "Sound Reality" brother, the CKR90. There basic sound is about the bass and mids in real balance with a touch off the treble. Continuing the mids improvement I have been hearing in AT stuff the mids are clean, airy and detailed. A bit more air here than in the bass or treble. Zeskit helps in being better in transmission/propagation speed. Both the Koss and AR3 "wake up" a bit and get more lively and energetic than before. So, the pace and speed is solid. The energy is fun and the the AR3 are better at handling more busy tracks. The treble impresses me in it's quality. It is not going to extended as an MSR7 or SR5 might be going to 35,000 and not 40,000 so it is good for out of phones and for cranking or subpar files as they are smooth and forgiving. The treble is grain free and articulate and accurate but jumps up and makes itself stand out at times when the recordings call for it but it does a nice job of being enough to please/not lack in amount but integrate well and take a bit of a backseat to the bass and mids in the right way. Not in the wrong way as in too rolled or smeared or off in any way. Just forgiving and more integrated in the whole than linear and bass to mids to treble can be heard of a lower quality headphone.

THe AR3 do have a realistic presentation as far as things placed in a real world way. Vocals coming from the lead. backup vocals coming from the sides and back more if in the track. Treble blended in nicely as part the drum kit and not sounding like it is coming from a different part of the driver than the lower percussion sounds which can ruin any attempt to sound realistic. Does this quite nicely to already make me happy and make them a good purchase.

They are also nicer looking in real life and the build is solid even if more plastic than in the pricier AT models.

I'll have to run in the cable some to be fair and evaluate it but I think it is fine and has the mic and one button if one needs it but the AR3 can have better performance with a swap to something better. Certainly take advantage of AT's first cheaper can with removable cable.

I think I'll go buy one before the ckr90 then. I honestly didn't like the fit of the cks1100 or the bass quantity on those, despite the quality of it. Hopefully this one will not disappoint and will sound more impressive than even my Msr7. Thanks Jant!

@doctorjazz Do the DM3s go neck to neck with anything in your collection? I understand you said that it's a bargain for those who cannot gather the funds for higher end stuff but it's just out of curiosity. I was initially looking for a headphone with great sub-bass extension and having relatively neutral presentation. I honestly will buy the ckr90 for the stage, this in ear if it has the subbass quantity and extension (and if the mids and highs are not grainy or sibilant) and the sonys oldies but goodies since a lot of people tend to not talk about them.

I like that Dsnuts is hyping something else that's new once again. I hope this will fit my current preference of a sub-bass extended headphone with relatively balanced mids and highs.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #33,697 of 103,506
DM5 does sound excellent with the mh1 tips. I also used Sony hybrids and with good results. Currently using UE tips and I like what I’m hearing. Source-wise, I have no complaints with most. At least nothing horrible sounding. I hear slight grainy vocals with my centrance hifi-skyn but it’s not terrible. Top notch bass on these. Tight and controlled yet visceral. Balanced out of pono brings it up a couple of notches but it’s not as px level of sound. The px is an astonishing value imo. Especially balanced since it brings that bass up.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #33,698 of 103,506
I think I'll go buy one before the ckr90 then. I honestly didn't like the fit of the cks1100 or the bass quantity on those, despite the quality of it. Hopefully this one will not disappoint and will sound more impressive than even my Msr7. Thanks Jant!

@doctorjazz Do the DM3s go neck to neck with anything in your collection? I understand you said that it's a bargain for those who cannot gather the funds for higher end stuff but it's just out of curiosity. I was initially looking for a headphone with great sub-bass extension and having relatively neutral presentation. I honestly will buy the ckr90 for the stage, this in ear if it has the subbass quantity and extension (and if the mids and highs are not grainy or sibilant) and the sonys oldies but goodies since a lot of people tend to not talk about them.

I like that Dsnuts is hyping something else that's new once again. I hope this will fit my current preference of a sub-bass extended headphone with relatively balanced mids and highs.

This. With a good sense of space. Nicely detailed as BAs should be. Bass on these are worth getting a pair alone not to mention the detail they have with the right combo of tips and sources.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #33,699 of 103,506
DM5 does sound excellent with the mh1 tips. I also used Sony hybrids and with good results. Currently using UE tips and I like what I’m hearing. Source-wise, I have no complaints with most. At least nothing horrible sounding. I hear slight grainy vocals with my centrance hifi-skyn but it’s not terrible. Top notch bass on these. Tight and controlled yet visceral. Balanced out of pono brings it up a couple of notches but it’s not as px level of sound. The px is an astonishing value imo. Especially balanced since it brings that bass up.

Don't know if anyone here has tried the Pinnacle P1 or PX earphone in balanced mode but these earphones are perfect for balanced sound. Can't wait to try it out with the new Shangling M3s. Balanced seems to fill in the sound areas the PX are a bit weak at. Sub bass especially.

Guys that aren't sold on balanced sound need to get a hold of a PX/ P1 earphone and try.

This being said. Just tried the T2 in balanced. Sounds great. Not quite at the PX level but excellent none the less.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #33,701 of 103,506
Whats is this traveler?

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #33,703 of 103,506
With or without Snug?

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #33,705 of 103,506
Went for some instant gratification today and picked the MEE Audio X8 at a local store for $79. They have a 7 day return policy so I thought what the heck.

I am surprised there is zero talk about these on head-fi. They are super comfortable to wear with a swivel stem system and they sound pretty darned good for bluetooth much better than the 1More bluetooth IEM (weird metallic mids and treble) or the Bose QC25 (just to bland for my tastes regardless of NC superiority).

Should be good for my run/walks and maybe at the gym. Will see how they isolate on the train.

Bass is a bit strong but very pleasant and full I suspect it will settle down over the next couple of days. The mids are clean and nicely centered and the treble is nice and clean but ever so slightly rolled off. The overall effect is an ever so slightly relaxed signature. Sound stage is not massive but is a decent size, imaging is also good.

I will see if I am going to keep them after a day or so. Looking at the MEE site these are actually out of stock and I got them for the same price in Canadian dollars so kinda lucked out on the price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back