The discovery thread!
Jul 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #29,582 of 106,408
Damn fellas. I got to say these DN2000Js sound fantastic. Definitely one of the most refined sounding hybrids I have put into my ears.

Was a bit shocked to find my package absolutely crunched. Love how UPS manhandle them packages. Luckily the box was padded correctly.

I am messing around with the bass rings and spacers and such with tips. Thus far these are impressive. Will have more thoughts about them once I get some use out of them.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #29,586 of 106,408
  Damn fellas. I got to say these DN2000Js sound fantastic. Definitely one of the most refined sounding hybrids I have put into my ears.

Was a bit shocked to find my package absolutely crunched. Love how UPS manhandle them packages. Luckily the box was padded correctly.

I am messing around with the bass rings and spacers and such with tips. Thus far these are impressive. Will have more thoughts about them once I get some use out of them.

What does "refined" sounding "  mean??? are other hybrids rough and jagged sounding? zero audio hybrids?

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #29,587 of 106,408

What does "refined" sounding "  mean??? are other hybrids rough and jagged sounding? zero audio hybrids?

It means it has very good manners, holds the pinky up when drinking tea! :D

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #29,588 of 106,408
Put up my review of the TTPOD T2-E.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ttpod-t2-e-3driver-hybrid-2ba-dynamic-hybrid-drive-ed-29689-ta7801-headphones-gray/reviews/13578

TL;dr:
It's awful.  Buy something else

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #29,592 of 106,408

Cool Ds! I hope yoj continue to enjoy them. You should take another one for the team and get the flc8's from massdrop. Somebody's gotta do it!
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/flc-technology-flc8

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #29,593 of 106,408
This is merely my initial impression based on spending an afternoon listening to them.

I'll go as far as saying the Bette 1+1 hybrid is pretty decent, but not a giant killer to my ears.

They are eerily similar to the AX-35 in both build and sound. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same drivers. The sound is almost identical to my ears with the Bette having a little more bass forwardness and thump. I'm guessing the housing is a little more vented on the AX-35. The armature drivers sound identical to my ears.

They have nearly identical cables that are the same colors and materials. The plug and strain relief are basically the same design with a slightly different finish. The housings look quite a bit different but they are the same size and weight. 

The housings are identical to the KZ ED-1. I'm pretty confident to say that the Bette is an OEM that uses spare parts in a very good and creative way. For someone looking for their first pair of hybrids and they're thinking about going for the AX-35, I would implore them to save their cash, buy these, and use the rest of their money to purchase a few KZ IEMs like the ED9, ED10, and ATE.

While I agree with a lot of what @jekostas said in his review, I would disagree on the level of clarity. I will fault it for the same reasons I did the AX-35 in that there's a lack of resolution overall, especially in the upper midrange that puts it behind most other hybrid earphones. Overall, it sounds a bit congested to my ears. Sounds for the most part seem to blend into each other to a certain extent. The tuning is there in terms of balance and there is a fair amount of texture, but separation and clarity suffers, especially in the upper frequencies. There is some graininess from where the letter S is pronounced and continues up into the upper treble frequencies.

I don't find this as a bust, because for $35 bucks you get a lot of technology, decent build quality and sound for a mere $35 USD. It's basically a AX-35 for almost half price. 

Truth be told, technology and tuning is progressing at a very fast pace for in-ear monitors. If these came out at the same time as the AX-35 they would be taking the IEM world by storm. The fact that they are being discovered the same time you can get earphones like the KZ ED9, E80, KZ ED10, ATE, A151 P 2nd Gen, Havi B3 Pro I, Piston 3.0 and many more for $50 or less, with many of the ones I named for $15 dollars or less we have to see the Bette for what it is which is a decent earphone that is worth the money but not something revolutionary. 

I'd say it's a good first hybrid. I'd say it has a fun signature that is a formidable listen. I'd say it's a great deal for hybrid technology. I won't say it sounds better than any of the IEMs I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

This is my initial impression based off of an evening of listening to them and comparing them to the gears I have. YMMV

Cheers guys

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #29,594 of 106,408
Following up Hisoundfis impression of the Bettes.

A bit on the DN2KJ. Well fellas all I can say is Dunu top sound has taken off their gloves.  I have to admit I have not been in the game for a while since taking on a new job. I keep tabs with a few friends and of course this thread but for the most part I have been enjoying what I have and once in a while something new will catch my fancy like all you guys but now a days it really has to deliver for me to bite.

You guys probably know I am a big fan of the Dunu's  Titan 1s and those earphones have been used with great enjoyment for me and my music. If you guys haven't I still recommend the Titan 1s. Properly amped the Titan 1s jump in sq like no other dynamic earphone. Something about that titanium coating that loves some juice from them amps. The promise of the next evolution of the Titan 1 sound was none other than the DN2KJs. I got in on the mass drop deal and after waiting for what seems to be several months I finally got them.

These earphones are playing at a different level than any hybrid I have owned or heard to date. Some serious engineering happening with these earphones. Every little detail has been worked out from the presentation out of the box the accessories to the gold plating on the 3.5in jack. Bass tuning rings, spacers for different tip positions to get the best comfort and sound from your tips. Tabs that end up making the earphones absolutely secure in your ears when using them. 4 core cable that supposedly helps out with the sound. Nothing about the product I can tell they cut any corners on. Perhaps it is this attention to detail that makes the overall product what it is but Dunu got a serious contender here.

Which leads me to the sound. Oh my these things sound wonderful and absolutely sings. There is some impressions from guys that mention the splashy treble on these and I can understand what they are talking about but for me these don't have more treble than the titans for example. It could be due to the BAs inherent nature to have a sharper treble lift. From memory the Fidue A83s have more treble emphasis than these. Treble extension is excellent on these which gives the upper tones a touch brighter bite/sheen.  I am using my spiral dots which open up the sound a bit more than the stock tips to my ears. There is a bit of splashiness in the top treble that ends up sounding a bit like a dedicated tweeter on a speaker system. But for the most part I don't feel sibilance is as bad as some may make these out to be. Again if your ok with the treble on the Titan 1s these are not that much off in emphasis. 

Interesting tid bit on these is that these have 2 different sounds due to of all things the bass rings. Titanium dynamic bass from both the titan 1 and these DN2KJs is nothing short of perfection for earphones. Guys that love a bit of bass emphasis to their sound just have to throw in the bass ring on nozzle and you get a bassier DN2KJ. The Mr Hyde of the Dunu top sound. It is without the bass rings which gives a more refined sound due to less bass emphasis which give an impeccable balance between the 3 regions of sound with a slight tilt toward the treble region. The Dr Jekyll. Of the DN2KJ sound signature.

Refinements abound . You know your dealing with guys that take their sound seriously when you have notched rings on the nozzle that perfectly keep those spacer rings in place as well as your tips. Again little details. Which is what I am hearing from the impeccable mids on these. I don't know how much of them 4 core cables have anything to do with how clean everything sounds. Every instrument, every vocal emphasis, reverb, roomy to intimate detail comes through with ease on these earphones. Detail comes effortless with exact spacing. Vocals pop be it male or female. These earphones sound spacious which is the one aspect of earphone refinement that separates a phone from being simply decent to something special.

Throw on the bass rings and you do have to mess around with the spacers to get the right balance happening. I found out by not using the spacers with the bass rings there is a bit of congestion in the sound. I used some spacers and the sound was like a new take on the Titan 1 sound signature.

These to me have one of the best bass ends I have ever heard for anything. I am gonna say this is the best quality bass I have ever heard on any earphone. Again with or without bass rings. Depends on if you want more emphasis in the bass region or not that is up to the user. But what is there is agile, very tight, textured and layered, integrated seamlessly, marvelously with the BAs. When you get bass this complete that easily keeps up with the quick nature of the high to mids BAs it just sounds right. This earphone once understood kinda makes other earphones sound a bit lacking. Lol.

It didn't take long for me to fall head over heels for this sound. But then you add all the little things Dunu added. Ear guides to wear over the ears. The silicone outer housing band that prevents the outer housing from rubbing into your ear lobes. A very nice sturdy all metal box to throw your DN2KJs into.

Dunus new benchmark and perhaps the best $350 you will ever spend on an earphone.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #29,595 of 106,408
It means it has very good manners, holds the pinky up when drinking tea!
biggrin.gif

DAMN, and I've been listening to the those rough riding, pagan, bad mannered
barbarian earphones that have no tea training and finesse!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back