The discovery thread!
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #29,552 of 106,422
Jul 11, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #29,554 of 106,422
  Thanks for the kind words and feedback everyone.  One more part to post, hopefully this will expand a little more on where I think these headphones fit in the grand scheme of things:

Select Comparisons

Macaw GT100S (Silver Reference Nozzle)
The Bette’s have more enhanced bass compared to the flatter and thinner Macaw and give up some clarity and detail retrieval in the midrange and treble.  That said, the difference between the two is not as much as one might think.  The Bette’s are slightly smoother overall and the treble “splashiness” that can occur in the Macaw isn’t an issue with the Bette even though the actual amount of treble is similar between the two.  The soundstage is much larger on the Macaw and instrumental separation is better but the Bette’s have slightly better imaging.  Vocals also sound more intimate on the Bette compared to the Macaw, which I found distancing overall.

JVC FXT90
The JVCs are more V-shaped, with more bass and treble and a more pushed back midrange.  The Bette’s have slightly better control in bass due to lacking a mid-bass hump and the treble harshness in the JVC is all but nonexistent.  Clarity and detail retrieval are very similar between the two headphones, but the Bette has better treble control over all and a clearer midrange.  The sound stage of the JVC is again somewhat larger than the Bette, but the comparison is much closer here than with the Macaw.  I also preferred the tonality of the Bette compared to the JVC, which seemed much more natural to me while the JVC could come across as very metallic.

Maxell DBA-700
The Maxell DBA-700 is another 1+1 hybrid with an 8mm dynamic and single BA.  With the strength of the US dollar and the relative weakness of the Japanese Yen the Bette and the Maxell cost more or less the same amount.  The Bette betters the Maxell in every way here - it’s not even close.  Better bass, better treble, better clarity, better extension at both ends.  The midrange on both ‘phones is surprisingly similar but the Bette pulls ahead again here with better detail.  Soundstage is a dead win for the Bette here, it’s not even close.

OM Audio Inearpeace
The OM Audio is the first truly “good” hybrid headset I ever heard and remains the basis of comparison to most of my headphone collection.  The OM has a larger mid-bass hump and more bass overall but still retains excellent control.  The midrange is slightly pushed back compared to the Bette but clarity and detail in the mid and high ranges are very similar.  The OM has a larger sound stage but imaging on the Bette is better.

ADDIEMs
The Bette and Apple have similar bass and midrange amounts, and the Bette has a touch more treble.  The Bette has better quality bass, maintaining better texture and note separation at the extremes of the frequency range.  Midranges are very similar in terms of clarity but the Bette’s are a touch smoother and thicker though no less lacking in detail compared to the thinner sounding ADDIEMs.  The Bette’s have a minor boost in the high-mid/low-treble ranges and sound somewhat brighter than the flatter Apples, but again, no harshness is present.  The Bette’s also have the advantage in terms of soundstage - they sound wider and deeper than the more closed-in Apple IEMs while maintaining excellent imaging and instrumental separation.

Very nice comparisons! Esp. vs. the FXT90. Shows that the FXT90 still has some clarity, detail, and stage. I will be getting the FXT200 after much research and some people's experiences with the FXT100 and my JVC Elation and 770C pairing. Gonna choose the triple magnet carbon/titanium dynamics combo over the hybrids this time. Though the hybrids are getting better and cheaper esp. the 1 +1's. Glad your enjoying them. They are a nice find!

We just need some guinea pigs for the other two slightly higher priced ones :) 

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #29,557 of 106,422
Hi¡¡ I'm writing in this post because all these unknown IEMs are being a total discovery for me¡¡

Just a question: for a spent of 35€ more or less, which IEM do you choose??

- Carbo Tenore: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZERO-AUDIO-ZH-DX200-CT-CARBO-TENORE-In-Ear-Headphones-from-Japan-/141715470008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fee676b8

- VSONIC VSD3 (Non-detachable version): http://www.lendmeurears.com/vsd3-grey-non-detachable-version/

- Bette Hybrid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01000UNYM/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

If you know a better choice within this price, just say it

Thank you all¡¡ I'm a noob on this forum, but I think you're great¡¡

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #29,561 of 106,422
Just bit on a red pair of the bette

Damn you @jekostas...

I had a feeling you gonna do that!
biggrin.gif

Wonder if it's going to be close in sound sig to DGS100?  Don't think it will be a match for A73.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #29,562 of 106,422
Just bit on a red pair of the bette

Damn you @jekostas...

Werd, this is madness. I jumped on the GranVela Urbanfun- the DD is only 8mm but hopefully they live up to their name and compete with the DGS100. Another basshead hybrid would be nice 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #29,563 of 106,422
Ha! Ironic coming from the evil originator of this evil thread lol!

yes, ironic that DS , you are getting BEET UP and Middlered with!  but audio progress demands our continued
torture with new discoveries and no wallet is safe after reading these reviews and discoveries! i think the
Donald Trump headphones are the only antidote......

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #29,564 of 106,422
Alright y'all, I've posted my "finished" review of the Bette hybrids here:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/bette-8mm-1-1-hybrid/reviews/13561

Only one more section to add.  It is possible to do some mechanical tuning on the Bette Hybrids.  Blocking the rear vent doesn't seem to do much, I suspect that it's a depressurizer rather than a tuning vent.  However, there is a small, nozzle-mounted vent.  Blocking off this vent with a piece of blu-tak or tape increases the base response at the expense of making the soundstage a bit smaller.  Mid and high range frequencies are unaffected as far as I can tell.

And yes, ya bastards I ordered the 10mm hybrid version.  I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #29,565 of 106,422
  Alright y'all, I've posted my "finished" review of the Bette hybrids here:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/bette-8mm-1-1-hybrid/reviews/13561

Only one more section to add.  It is possible to do some mechanical tuning on the Bette Hybrids.  Blocking the rear vent doesn't seem to do much, I suspect that it's a depressurizer rather than a tuning vent.  However, there is a small, nozzle-mounted vent.  Blocking off this vent with a piece of blu-tak or tape increases the base response at the expense of making the soundstage a bit smaller.  Mid and high range frequencies are unaffected as far as I can tell.

And yes, ya bastards I ordered the 10mm hybrid version.  I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Just so you know for the future reference, since you put together the only available review of these IEMs, you should have contacted them directly to ask for review samples of everything they have to offer
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back