The discovery thread!
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #25,847 of 106,196
AAA/AA batteries are 1.5V......
wink.gif

Not these ones mate.

Maybe you haven't been around for a while. Technology moves at a fast pace.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400714867395?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Read the voltage again on the battery in the picture. 
wink.gif

Actually, it also depends as my rechargeables for my cameras are 1.2v (as nick n has shown above) 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-pcs-X-AA-BTY-Rechargeable-Battery-3000mAh-Ni-MH-1-2V-/350662672626?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item51a51fc0f2&_uhb

I think you're talking about standard disposable AA's (which we weren't talking about) 

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #25,848 of 106,196
Not these ones mate.

Maybe you haven't been around for a while. Technology moves at a fast pace.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400714867395?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Read the voltage again on the battery in the picture. :wink:

Actually, it also depends as my rechargeables for my cameras are 1.2v (as nick n has shown above) 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-pcs-X-AA-BTY-Rechargeable-Battery-3000mAh-Ni-MH-1-2V-/350662672626?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item51a51fc0f2&_uhb

I think you're talking about standard disposable AA's (which we weren't talking about) 

:rolleyes: yeah i never heard of 1.2V batteries of new technologies....No Worries I wasnt taking about 3.7V either
Coz I dont have any electrnics to use such batteries alike....anyways I was talking about regulars not rechargeables....

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #25,849 of 106,196
Anyway good to know that these piece of electronics exist and I realized that I shd also know about micro batteries being used in hearing aids as one day I might use that as well if not the monstrous batteries found in cruisers or freight ships tho.....lol.. :wink:

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #25,850 of 106,196
Anyway good to know that these piece of electronics exist and I realized that I shd also know about micro batteries being used in hearing aids as one day I might use that as well if not the monstrous batteries found in cruisers or freight ships tho.....lol..
wink.gif

*off topic*

3.7 volt batteries are mostly used in Ultrafire torches like this little bugger ( Link Click Here )

I'm actually waiting on one to arrive.

Check out the pics how bright they go in the listing with a couple extra volts. 

*on topic*

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #25,851 of 106,196

*off topic*

3.7 volt batteries are mostly used in Ultrafire torches like this little bugger ( Link Click Here )

*on topic*

3.7 volt batteries are generally standard lithium-ion ('lithium-cobalt') batteries. If you open up a laptop battery pack you'll find a bunch of these.

Ultrafire is generally considered a poor quality brand of Li-ion battery. You don't have that much choice in the 14500 size but anything containing a genuine Sanyo cell is going to be a far better choice, and will probably have around double the capacity and higher max. current (Ultrafire blue 14500s tend to actually be around 350-450 mAh).

If you really want a bright flashlight then see if you can find an IMR (LiMn2O4 or 'lithium manganese') battery in the same size. They deliver more current (but they have a bit less capacity). There is a very good forum called BLF if you want to learn a bit more and don't mind having an empty wallet.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #25,852 of 106,196
*off topic*

*on topic*

...I was serious, tho it looked off topic to you,dono why?:rolleyes:.....Again- I never had any of those 3.7V rechargeable in my gadget use,so far and so I never came across so far.....BUT now I know there is,for diff purposes,becoz of you......TY.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #25,853 of 106,196

3.7 volt batteries are generally standard lithium-ion batteries. If you open up a laptop battery pack you'll find a bunch of these.

Ultrafire is generally considered a poor quality brand of Li-ion battery. You don't have that much choice in the 14500 size but anything containing a genuine Sanyo cell is going to be a far better choice, and will probably have around double the capacity and higher max. current (Ultrafire blue 14500s tend to actually be around 350-450 mAh).

That would explain why Line5 (the $30 amp) uses cheap Ultrafire. I may look into a better brended Li-ion for the item. 

Cheers.

Quote:
...I was serious, tho it looked off topic to you,dono why?
rolleyes.gif
.....Again- I never had any of those 3.7V rechargeable in my gadget use,so far and so I never came across so far.....BUT now I know there is,for diff purposes,becoz of you......TY.

My off-topic brackets for me talking about torches in a discovery thread but you seemed to take it the wrong way.

I'm picking up some kind of confusion in the air here so, I'll just leave you be, Shawn71. 
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #25,854 of 106,196
My off-topic brackets for me talking about torches in a discovery thread but you seemed to take it the wrong way.

I'm picking up some kind of confusion in the air here so, I'll just leave you be, Shawn71. :wink:  

oh ok my bad......sorry but I thought you were referring my comment as *off topic* and yours referring to * on topic*....yeah the *on topic* really confused me.....:wink:

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #25,855 of 106,196
It's all good, I think for most parts we all do pretty good considering we're behind keyboards with thousands of miles between us. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #25,856 of 106,196

*off topic*

*on topic*

I hope you're not really expecting 1k lumens out of this light. I don't know how bright will it be but my guess is 300lm at best. There are no 1xAA lights that are this bright, especially with this size and nothing to dissipate the heat. Even the very very good lights using single 18650 rarely get close to 1000 lumens. Realistically, pretty good 14500 lights with this size are olight s15 and spark sf5 and you won't be getting anything in this caliber for 5 bucks. So 300-400lm at best and that's for the lights using good LEDs. Just my 2 cents as I'm also into this stuff as another hobby to sink money into. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #25,857 of 106,196
  I hope you're not really expecting 1k lumens out of this light. I don't know how bright will it be but my guess is 300lm at best. There are no 1xAA lights that are this bright, especially with this size and nothing to dissipate the heat. Even the very very good lights using single 18650 rarely get close to 1000 lumens. Realistically, pretty good 14500 lights with this size are olight s15 and spark sf5 and you won't be getting anything in this caliber for 5 bucks. So 300-400lm at best and that's for the lights using good LEDs. Just my 2 cents as I'm also into this stuff as another hobby to sink money into. 

Um... I don't intend on going deer hunting or getting 1000 thingamabobs. Long as it guides me to the kitchen at 2am. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #25,858 of 106,196
Well, I'm just saying. It's like with audio gear - most people are content with just being able to play their music and don't much attention to the quality. So if you just don't want to trip in the dark a cheap light like that will do the trick just don't expect miracles or believe the seller's claims.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #25,859 of 106,196
OK, back from vacation, Scotland, man, interesting place ("why Scotland?"...Long story...). First the negatives...weather is amazingly bad for summer, 40-50 degrees (F), with off and on rain all day every day. Wifi is hardly available, and really poor whein it is. Dollar to pound stinks-poor food is really expensive, and expensive food is rediculous! And the food, for the most part, is bland at best, poor on average, though the attention paid to sweets and desserts is much greater than that paid to food prep, with the result that you're generally better off just going straight to dessert/snacks (which is my preferred way of eating anyway). It was Vacation of real contrasts, the Highlands, with the beautiful, preserved mountains, forests, lakes (Loch in the local parlance), where we started. Beautiful, idyllic, lovely outdoor outings, friendly people. Then on to Edinbourgh, which is in the middle of the Fringe Festival, a month of madness every August, with performers of every ilk, music, serious/comedic/musical theater, magicians, jugglers, tightrope walkers, and, more than anything else, stand up comedians. More than I've ever seen in my whole life. More than in all the comedy clubs in the New York/New Jersey area. More than the population of many mid western towns. Great performers, OK performers, crappy performers, very democratic, with lots of free shows, and most paid shows about $15-$25. And there are hundreds of hour long shows every hour...if you don't like the one you're at, the next could be a real find. The vibe is a bit like New Orleans Jazz & Heritage, though the latter is mostly professional, with some local talent interspersed. (I expect South By Southwest in Austin must have a similar excitement/party vibe, but haven't gotten to that one yet). Had a really great time!
OK, discoveries. Music doesn't seem to be quite as featured as theater and Stand Up Comedy, but there is still a ton of it around (one of my favorite artists, Richard Thompson, guitarist/singer-songer extraordinairre, was playing a few days after we left, shoot:mad: ). Still, there are a few jazz clubs, The Jazz Bar was around the corner from my hotel, and is a really nice spot. They were featuring many artists (a new show every 1-1.2 hours, starting about 11AM, going until the wee morning), I got to see Valery Ponomarev, a Russian expatriate trumpeter Art Blakey disciple, who I'd heard of but hadn't ever seen or heard his recordings. He put on a fine show, straight Bebop/Hardbop, with a tight band, really dug it.

Another performer who I'd never heard of, but really enjoyed his show, wask Arturo Tappin, who played with what seemed to be a pick up band, and burned the place up. His music veers a bit close to smooth jazz, but the Carribean flavor and the high energy and chops he has made for a fine show

OK, back to New York/New Jersey life...
O Yeah, gear, the Cayin amp seems up my alley, have been eying Ray Samuels portables, this seems like it could be a great alternative! Just spent a mint (see "Dollar to Pound stinks" above), but it's inexpensive enough not to break the bank. May give it a go...

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #25,860 of 106,196
^ Nice report doc! Gave me good chuckle here and there as well :)

Glad you had a nice time, and heard some good music to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back