The discovery thread!
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #14,221 of 100,471
Listening to my CKM500s. It has been a while since I threw these on and geeze man. This sounds absolutely wonderful on the X3s. Thanks for the heads up on that Hairy.  The wide deep stage of the CKM500s seem to set off the sounds on the X3.. Damn this actually gives some competition to the synergy between the S2 and the X3.

Any of you guys own the CKM500 and the X3. Gotta give that a go.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #14,222 of 100,471
will do the listening tests also. those of you listening out of computers,
listening with the dragonfly dac seriously resolves the digital sound
to amazingly better levels, especially if connected throuth the
ifi usb power device.  im going to order the gemini y calbe to double
the clarity soon also.  its also a pleasure to be liwtening to these new phone
options on a 1543 NOS sac (sweet analogue sound) powered by an esternal battery
12v/5amp  into a ray samuels amp (predator or sb71)  wow, what wonderful sounds...
its great to have so many good sounding options....cant wait till my X1s arrive!

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #14,224 of 100,471
I'm waiting for your intial impressions on the S2 vs Gratitudes:beyersmile:

Ooo, me too.
My S2 arrived today so I'm acclimating to it, but I think I'll keep em as my balanced phone. Comfy, mic/control, build, easy and fun sound. It may still need to burn in as the fx700 sound much smoother, and I would say from the brief listwn the JVC are more capable but not by much. And theyre not as clear with the midbass.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #14,225 of 100,471
  M200 and DX50 works well together.  I might have to try the M500 combo again for Wayne's sake.  

smile.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #14,226 of 100,471
  This is an interesting read on the DX50 vs X3 debate. Check it out. http://www.head-fi.org/t/681478/comparison-fiio-x3-vs-ibasso-dx50#post_9800536

Thanks for that link!

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #14,227 of 100,471
I'm telling you dudes the DX50 sounds just awesome. I'm not gonna pick up the DX100 all that often since this thing arrived. This and the Onkyo headphones are a match. WS99 was just ok but not bad. No bugs after the firmware update, just sounds sweet.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #14,228 of 100,471
So I have been testing the JVC HA-FX40, not completed the burn in yet, about 15 hours so far. And for the burn in I have been listening to them for most of the part. First thing that came into feeling was the excess sibilance when i put them on first time, listening to some old Iron Maiden (Killers). I was turned off, but reading here it is a common problem, today they sound actually a lot better. It is a very nice sounding headphones. Much better than many cheapos out there for sure, and classes ahead of Senn 300 cx. Why am I mentioning 300cx? Well it was collecting dust and I brought it to work, now I know why it is collecting dust. Wow how the industry progressed over the years.

I don't have that bassy feeling with the FX40, it is very balanced and imo a bit more towards mids and treble, still has the annoyance on highs when you hear just human voice without any music etc (just happened on spotify commercial), but I hope it will cure itself with more burn. So far I am liking this very much for rock, metal etc. The instrument separation is working wonderfully, guitars are coming alive, needs a bit more of that drum kick punch, bass lines are wonderful, vocals are great and clear. It is like Grado SR80i's iem version.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #14,229 of 100,471
Ya those are a bit bright for the first 200 hours or so. You have a ways to go before those become proper..I would punish them drivers as much as possible. They get much better but need a real long burn in. Don't be afraid to turn up to volume when burning those in. They can take it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #14,230 of 100,471
  Ya those are a bit bright for the first 200 hours or so. You have a ways to go before those become proper..I would punish them drivers as much as possible. They get much better but need a real long burn in. Don't be afraid to turn up to volume when burning those in. They can take it.

Will do so. I guess this week it will be all about burn in :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #14,234 of 100,471
It is kinda unreasonable but that is what the phones require unfortunately. It is kinda fun to hear them in their various stages of burn in though. Some guys like that bright sound signature and can live with the way they sound but they sound so much better with that longer burn in..Worth the effort imo.

Sf can back me up on this point. He and I changed FX40s. His for mine. And even though he thought he was done burning his pair in. He got my well worn in pair and he was very surprised they sounded different over his..

His pair I got was what I consider half way done. I had to punish them drivers even more to get them to where my pair was. 

Some phones don't need burn in. Many do. I just do it anyway.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #14,235 of 100,471
I kinda do. If it was a perfect world, all headphones would come the way they're supposed to sound straight out of the box. But I feel like having to burn them in kinda makes those headphones unique and personal to you, because you put in the work to get them to where they are. Still gets a bit annoying though. I dunno, just my thoughts on the matter haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back