The discovery thread!
Aug 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #13,546 of 100,431
Hey guys, I finally got in to a lower bracket, $139, on the geeks by checking the site every couple hours or so. I'm gonna be shipping mine to Toronto, Canada so if anyone else from Toronto or nearby wants to get in at a better price bracket and wants to split shipping costs, PM me and we can figure out the details!

Also just got a pair of the KEF M200's today that I bought from the for sale forum and man do these things sound good! Really good initial impressions and I'm enjoying them too much now to directly compare with my UE900s but hope to do so at some point.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #13,547 of 100,431
Quote:
Hey guys, I finally got in to a lower bracket, $139, on the geeks by checking the site every couple hours or so. I'm gonna be shipping mine to Toronto, Canada so if anyone else from Toronto or nearby wants to get in at a better price bracket and wants to split shipping costs, PM me and we can figure out the details!

Also just got a pair of the KEF M200's today that I bought from the for sale forum and man do these things sound good! Really good initial impressions and I'm enjoying them too much now to directly compare with my UE900s but hope to do so at some point.

Sheesh, for that $139 price... I wish I felt I needed one! And congrats on the M200 (not envious at all!).

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #13,549 of 100,431
The more earphones I compare to the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (with MEElectronics M6 double flange tips) the more I realize how incredible they are.  They hit hard, they go deep, they're airy, detailed, clear, engaging, and draw you in.  My only beef with them was that they sometimes could use a little more bass.  I used the EQ on my computer to VERY SLIGHTLY bump up 31hz, 62hz, and 16k (for a little more sizzle) and WOW, they're amazing.

Nothing I've compared to them can compare, not the Basso, A161P, S500, nothing in my sig.

If you haven't tried the Carbo Tenore (even better with MEElectronics M6 double flange tips), give them a try!

I would like to try something better (if it exists), so if you have suggestions, let me know.  I don't think I'll find them in any IEMs < $75.  I've tried many and have come up unsuccessful so far.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #13,550 of 100,431
Quote:
Nothing I've compared to them can compare, not the Basso, A161P, S500, nothing in my sig.

Awesome that you are enjoying them so much! Curious: why do you like them more than the Basso's?

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #13,551 of 100,431
Ok, update on my current foolishness. 1)went for the mid level geek, may be better for my senn 650's, the most powerful seems like overkill. 2)bit on the Philips S2, ordered 3)silly impulse buy-Martin Logan Mikros 90, some love them, some hate them, on sale at Newegg for $99 (list $299). Figured at that price worth taking a chance. 4)Django Reinhardt is GOD

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #13,552 of 100,431
(Glad to see I can't keep up with this thread again, got me nervous for a day) 
cool.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #13,553 of 100,431
Quote:
Ok, update on my current foolishness. 1)went for the mid level geek, may be better for my senn 650's, the most powerful seems like overkill. 2)bit on the Philips S2, ordered 3)silly impulse buy-Martin Logan Mikros 90, some love them, some hate them, on sale at Newegg for $99 (list $299). Figured at that price worth taking a chance. 4)Django Reinhardt is GOD

I'm always happy to see someone who is more out of control than I am... gives me a false sense of control lol! You probably aren't going wrong with the geek. Definitely not going wrong with the S2's. Can't say about the Miros 90, but I bet the Django Reingardt is GOD like you say! Good "out of control" work there Doc!

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #13,554 of 100,431
Quote:

Awesome that you are enjoying them so much! Curious: why do you like them more than the Basso's?

I guess I'm a female vocals guy.  Vocals are more airy and female vocals sexier (I get more chills), bass is faster and punchier, they're clearer and more detailed, and they're tuned brighter than the Basso.  I guess I do like my bass though and therefore very slightly very slightly increase it.  With the Basso, I find the bass a little overpowering so I do the opposite and lower the bass, which makes them less dark.  I also raise the treble more.

For the sound that I like I definitely have to make more EQ adjustments to the Basso than the Tenore.  I'll have to do some more listening with both EQ'd to see if I still like the Tenore more.

The Tenore does have a decent amount of bass, unllike the A161P which I had to increase the bass a significant amount.  To my ears, the Tenore is much better than the A161P.

Zero Audio definitely knows what they are doing!

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #13,555 of 100,431
Been listening to these for the past few hours.  Just like KEF, Onkyo came in aggressive with their first products into the headphone/iem world.  Both sound very good and the price to performance ratio is very good.  

The earphones are big but not M200 level.  More like the CKS1000.  Fit is great, even with the thick cable hanging down right next to the earlobe.  Tips are some of the cheapest tips I've ever come a crossed.  Thankfully, tip rolling is easy with these.  I put the Auvio's on and no problems.  Comes with a larger cloth covered hard case.  One of the better cases I've seen.  

Sound is quite balanced.  Bass is pretty big but not too overpowering.  There's a little bit of bloom but I'm sure it'll settle.  Thankfully the midrange is smooth and forward.  Very good midrange.  Treble is also nice and smooth.  There's no sign of sibilance, peakiness whatsoever.  The sound is deep and wide.  Another big chamber type of sound.  Less coloration than the CKS1000's.  I can tell these will need some burn in though.  Overall, highly recommended and one of the better sounding earphones to date.

Headphones come out sounding excellent with no burn in.  Bass seems punchier and tighter than the earphones.  Midrange sounds close to the earphones with slight differences.  Treble is smoother than the earphones.  For having non fatiguing treble, both products give good sparkle but the headphones a little more so.  The dual chamber gives a deep sound which draws you into the music.  I listened to the headphones for a couple of hours and didn't realize it.  Quite addicting.  Comfort is quite good for having kind of thick pads.  Clamping force is about perfect and the cups rotate to get a better fit.  Very well designed on ear.  Build quality is very good on both but I'm more impressed with the headphones.  

The cables are pretty to look at and is very nice.  It has a rubbery texture and microfonics are minimal.  

Some eye candy.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #13,556 of 100,431
^ Nice Danny! Thanks!

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #13,557 of 100,431
Got the Kef and onkyo in cart...I can resist, know I can. Got so much stuff coming already lol
o2smile.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #13,558 of 100,431
Quote:
Got the Kef and onkyo in cart...I can resist, know I can. Got so much stuff coming already lol
o2smile.gif

Doc, your audio-life ain't complete until you pull the trigger on those m200's....

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #13,560 of 100,431
Quote:

When are you going to complete your audio-life then?
cool.gif

Ha - can't get anything by you lol! I gotta push a few people over the ledge before I throw myself over like the lemming that I usually am!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back