The discovery thread!
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #12,601 of 100,075
Quote:
I think I'm gonna wait for more opinions on the Philips Fidelio S2 and Onkyo IE-HF300 and see how they fair. I'm not a mega bass head. I used to actively seek out Beats-like IEMs but I love the bass levels on my Carbo Bassos

The cks1000 is definately closer to the basso than beats style.....I wouldnt say they have any more bass than the basso in quanity, but the quality is even better.  Yet the mids are fantastic, stage is wide, details are present, and theres sparkle on top of it all.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #12,603 of 100,075
OK, anyone able to compare the M200 and the EPH 100sl? And maybe relate them to know quantities like the 1k, Zero Audio and others?

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #12,604 of 100,075
Quote:

The cks1000 is definately closer to the basso than beats style.....I wouldnt say they have any more bass than the basso in quanity, but the quality is even better.  Yet the mids are fantastic, stage is wide, details are present, and theres sparkle on top of it all.

I suppose I am looking at my options to see if there is anything that is a step up from the Basso but not as expensive. I can't find anywhere that ships them to the UK as I'd rather not use Tenso if at all possible but they're quite expensive through eBay sellers.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12,605 of 100,075
Quote:
wayne, i know this is comparing apples and oranges, but if i had to choose:  X1 vs CKS1000...???

The one common trait is that they are both ridiculously good. I often am stunned when listening to the CKS1000's, and I'm stunned right now listening to the X1's. Analytical, neutral or boring they are not. Fun they are. Both have the ability to completely immerse you in the music. The 1K's have an incredible soundstage and imaging for an iem (and the X1's do as well since they are open backed hp's). Both have amazingly layered, detailed and controlled bass which is pretty special and not very common. The mids on both are very nice - not recessed and not too forward, and not affected by the bass. The treble on both is very nice, but the 1k's have more forward and agressive treble, so the 1k's are overall ore V shaped and will grab your attention and force you to rock (some might find they get fatiguing for extended listening periods). With the X1's though, you could listen to them forever (indeed, I don't like taking them off lol!).

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #12,606 of 100,075
I can't actually imagine someone just sitting there all day with the X1s on there heads and not giving a single care to anything but nature calling.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #12,607 of 100,075
Quote:
I can't actually imagine someone just sitting there all day with the X1s on there heads and not giving a single care to anything but nature calling.

Stop looking into my  window Exesteils!!  lol

Really fighting the urge to purchase the S2 if it is really the exact same as the X1 in an IEM.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #12,608 of 100,075
Quote:

Stop looking into my bathroom window Exesteils!!  lol

There I fixed that for you! Cause if nature calls that won't have to distract you from the X1 either :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #12,609 of 100,075
Quote:

There I fixed that for you! Cause if nature calls that won't have to distract you from the X1 either :)

LOL ... Okay, I see I'm going to need the mace for jant71 .... I'm just saying .... lol

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #12,611 of 100,075
Quote:

LOL ... Okay, I see I'm going to need the mace for jant71 .... I'm just saying .... lol

Remember I'm not the one outside the window. I just know you're smart enough to multitask! Besides, everyone knows the acoustics are better in there.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #12,612 of 100,075
Quote:

Stop looking into my  window Exesteils!!  lol

Really fighting the urge to purchase the S2 if it is really the exact same as the X1 in an IEM.

Let me tell you how good I think the S2s are. Guess which phone I used to guage how my 2 new amps sound..I can tell exactly what the amp is doing to my sound using the S2. I know guys kinda overlook these for some reason but I think it is a mistake to do so. These have one of the most resolving sounds I can think of. When I heard the clarity and distinct separation of my 2step amp it was using my S2 connected to it. When I heard how smooth detailed and textured large and in charge the sound of my NFB-5 was it was through my S2. The S2 become the instrument for the amp to show what it can do. The phones simply don't limit how the amps sound that is something not all iems can do. Sure many benefit from nice sounding amps but this earphone becomes the sound of my source.. I can't say that about any other iem I own.

Why would you not want the sound of your X1 on the go. I think for guys that will be getting one of the new daps that are coming out the X3 or the DX50.  The S2 will be a great companion and show you exactly how your players sound.

Oh yea speaking of testing my new NFB-5. Geeze guys what can I say.. It is tuned to what I like in a sound to a T.  Warm smooth dynamic. The widest deepest stage I have heard yet in an amp dac. Detail like you wouldn't believe. I was listening to my go to test tracks for music. Sade is always on the list I was listening to hang on to your love and I must have heard this track over a thousand times and I have never ever heard air and separation of instruments and her vocals with authority effortlessly executed. Both my amps sound wonderful so I am a very happy camper indeed.

Oh yea and then I throw on the X1s and just get lost. Lol.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #12,613 of 100,075
The S2 keeps creeping back in on my interest. If a nice deal pops up I may not be able to resist.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #12,614 of 100,075
Seriously when I heard both my 2stepdance amp connected to my Meridian Explorer. I about shat. Lol. I have never heard such clarity and distinction. The separation is unbelievable. I threw on the VS1Ds using the same combo and it just wasn't the same lol. Actually the VS1Ds are real nice I like those but the S2s using that combo just comes through with every bit of detail the sound offers.

Last night testing my NFB was just thrilling for me..The sound is so transparent using my S2. It don't sound like I am using the same Iem through these 2 set ups at all. That is saying something.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #12,615 of 100,075
Quote:
Let me tell you how good I think the S2s are. Guess which phone I used to guage how my 2 new amps sound..I can tell exactly what the amp is doing to my sound using the S2. I know guys kinda overlook these for some reason but I think it is a mistake to do so. These have one of the most resolving sounds I can think of. When I heard the clarity and distinct separation of my 2step amp it was using my S2 connected to it. When I heard how smooth detailed and textured large and in charge the sound of my NFB-5 was it was through my S2. The S2 become the instrument for the amp to show what it can do. The phones simply don't limit how the amps sound that is something not all iems can do. Sure many benefit from nice sounding amps but this earphone becomes the sound of my source.. I can't say that about any other iem I own.

Why would you not want the sound of your X1 on the go. I think for guys that will be getting one of the new daps that are coming out the X3 or the DX50.  The S2 will be a great companion and show you exactly how your players sound.

Oh yea speaking of testing my new NFB-5. Geeze guys what can I say.. It is tuned to what I like in a sound to a T.  Warm smooth dynamic. The widest deepest stage I have heard yet in an amp dac. Detail like you wouldn't believe. I was listening to my go to test tracks for music. Sade is always on the list I was listening to hang on to your love and I must have heard this track over a thousand times and I have never ever heard air and separation of instruments and her vocals with authority effortlessly executed. Both my amps sound wonderful so I am a very happy camper indeed.

Oh yea and then I throw on the X1s and just get lost. Lol.

I bet the reason is really simple really - it's not some obscure Asian brand, it's "just Phillips" - a well known mainstream brand, so guys here won't feel hipster enough owning them :D

if it sounds more resolving and detailed than my xb90ex, I'm all for it :) (I'll just wait for some of the new releases, like zero audio doppios, onkyo iems, and whatever vsonic is coming out with this October)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back