The discovery thread!
Jul 26, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #12,331 of 100,720
Quote:
More drivers aren't necessarily better. People who like the Fischer SBA-03 (aka Meelec A161P) needn't like the DBA-02, which has a pretty different signature. 

yeah, I agree but knowing that there is 2 drivers instead of 1 makes the music sound that much more pleasurable 
biggrin.gif
 also, there is a really high chance that the doppios will wound better than their previois BA offerings. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #12,332 of 100,720
Only using one driver has purity to it and this is well established in acoustic science, but as soon as you're using two drivers, well you may as well go straight for 10. :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #12,333 of 100,720
Bigger dynamic drivers aren't necessarily better either
:)

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #12,334 of 100,720
Only using one driver has purity to it and this is well established in acoustic science, but as soon as you're using two drivers, well you may as well go straight for 10. :)

What do you mean by purity?

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #12,335 of 100,720
Quote:
HE400's are a fast sounding headphone.  The bass is very tight and controlled.  Doesn't hit the sub-bass notes like the X1.  Midrange is more forward than the X1 and I find the X1 to sound more natural.  Treble on the HE400 can get a little hot but not overly so.  X1 has an energetic treble but not like the 400's.  Two are vastly different in my opinion.  

Thank you very much
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #12,336 of 100,720
Quote:
What do you mean by purity?

I mean as soon as you start using 2 or more drivers, you have to make all these complicated crossover networks, so a single driver is more pure in that sense.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #12,337 of 100,720
Has anyone tried using a recorded impulse response using an ear simulator, and manipulating that to produce an IRS file for V4A that (in theory) idealizes the impulse response?

I wonder if Rin would be willing to part with some of his impulse response .wav files.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #12,338 of 100,720
I mean as soon as you start using 2 or more drivers, you have to make all these complicated crossover networks, so a single driver is more pure in that sense.

I see. well most home systems have dedicated speakers for highs, mids and lows. Hybrids have more than one unit granted that some don't use crossovers.
Some of the best bookshelf and floor standing speakers have different size drivers and they use cross overs.

That being said I don't think more drivers mean better. But more drivers doesn't mean bad either.

If crossovers are bad... What does that make eq'ing.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #12,340 of 100,720
Quote:
Bigger drivers can reproduce lower frequencies better than smaller drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes and no. MicroHD drivers in the CKN50 and CKN70s FXD Mh1C earphones were able to hit real low notes with ease. Some well established basshead cans we have on the threads are 40mm instead of 50mm or bigger. Ultrasone Pro900s for example..Tuning is more important over number of drivers or size in my experience it is when your going higher end and want every bit of detail that can be produced with the best separation multidrivers tuned right brings this out better than single ones for in ears. But for full sized cans it seems driver material and how well a driver is tuned is how that is achieved more so than multidrivers.

This being said. I am excited to try out Zero Audios new dual BAs.

Speaking of multi drivers? Didn't any of you guys end up getting them new MP cans with multi drivers yet? That should be interesting.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12,341 of 100,720
Yeah... The Doppio does looks rather dope.. Lol.

Hard to find info on them

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #12,342 of 100,720
Quote:
Yes and no. MicroHD drivers in the CKN50 and CKN70s FXD Mh1C earphones were able to hit real low notes with ease. Some well established basshead cans we have on the threads are 40mm instead of 50mm or bigger. Ultrasone Pro900s for example..Tuning is more important over number of drivers or size in my experience it is when your going higher end and want every bit of detail that can be produced with the best separation multidrivers tuned right brings this out better than single ones for in ears. But for full sized cans it seems driver material and how well a driver is tuned is how that is achieved more so than multidrivers.

This being said. I am excited to try out Zero Audios new dual BAs.

Speaking of multi drivers? Didn't any of you guys end up getting them new MP cans with multi drivers yet? That should be interesting.

??? photos? MP?

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #12,343 of 100,720
Quote:
??? photos? MP?

The new Monoprice cans with the 50mm plus three 13mm drivers. C'mon Eric you fallin' behind, lol?

Not sure why there are three 13mm. I can see one on top and bottom for two or two top and bottom. Not sure how they are placing three and the effect that has on the coherency and imaging. Unless it is one integrated unit.

Quote:

Quite a few out there w/o any crossovers at all.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #12,345 of 100,720
In BA-based IEMs they often have more than one driver covering the same frequency, which improves layering and cancels out differences in the individual drivers. Not sure if that translates into dynamic drivers though. And not sure if a cheap Monoprice headphone can implement such a system properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back