The discovery thread!
May 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #10,307 of 104,148
Great impressions guys! You got the curiosity out of me... So how does the Tenore compare against the XBA3 and MH1c?

Thanks mate.

Well I sold my MH1c a long time ago, coz of the cable lol

However, from my memory I can remember that the bass on them was much more wobbly and less precise than on Tenore. Highs weren't as nice either, and there isn't even any point comparing soundstage or micro detail. Tenore beat it by miles lol

May 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #10,308 of 104,148
Quote:
Thanks mate.

Well I sold my MH1c a long time ago, coz of the cable lol

However, from my memory I can remember that the bass on them was much more wobbly and less precise than on Tenore. Highs weren't as nice either, and there isn't even any point comparing soundstage or micro detail. Tenore beat it by miles lol

Do they have a similarity in sound signature? coz I liked the MH1c sig very much although I found it a bit lacking in the mids probably because the highs were too smooth making the entire presentation a bit dry sounding.

May 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #10,309 of 104,148
Do they have a similarity in sound signature? coz I liked the MH1c sig very much although I found it a bit lacking in the mids probably because the highs were too smooth making the entire presentation a bit dry sounding.

Well the Tenore are in a higher league's I wouldn't even bother comparing them mate. They are just so much crisper and more vibrant.

I'd class MH1c being closer to SoundMAGIC E10 rather than the Tenore.

Oh and I know what you mean about the mids on the MH1c, to me they just sound muffled and distant lol

May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #10,310 of 104,148
Quote:
Well the Tenore are in a higher league's I wouldn't even bother comparing them mate. They are just so much crisper and more vibrant.

I'd class MH1c being closer to SoundMAGIC E10 rather than the Tenore.

Oh and I know what you mean about the mids on the MH1c, to me they just sound muffled and distant lol

cool! I wonder if doctorjazz can elaborate more on the XBA3 vs Tenore comparo...

May 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #10,311 of 104,148
I posted initial impressions earlier, not sure if here or on the dedicated thread, but I think it was there. I had them a short while, was wowed at the sound, particularly that SOUNDSTAGE we keep mentioning, so I did the only thing a consciencious geek can do: I sat down with a pad, a few iem's (AT CKN 70, JVC FX70, Sony XBA3, Westone 4) and picked some songs I liked and took notes comparing the 5 iem's (had my wife rolling her eyes, but what else is new). I didn't hear things exactly as the general consensus calls it on these phones. First, let me say, I really like them (when I say something negative, it's relative to some really good challengers), and I've been listening to them more than my other iem's for a while. Now, my impression (drum roll please): they have nice, tight, focused bass, enough for me, but the Sony's is slightly more in quantity, while not losing tightness. I felt the Sony's had more detail, and richness of timbre (as did te AT's and the Westones), but this was in direct comparison, I don't find anything missing listening just to the Tenores. The soundstage of the Tenores was wider than all of them, and made for fun listening (why I've been listening to them a lot), but the Sony and the Westone had more micro detail, air between instruments.The AT's had more bass, more treble energy as well (I don't mind, some may find it tizzy), definitely not the same soundstage (I like the AT's a lot as well, but I despise the cable...I think it's Japanese revenge on the US for WW II). The JVC's don't compare the the Tenores, flabby, unfocused bass, more forward but less detail in the midrange, highs that again some will feel are tizzy. The Tenores don't match up to the Westone 4's (which cost, what, 6 times as much, something like that), which have more air around instruments, more microdetail (can pick out different vocalists in group of backup singers), richer tone, but the Tenores still out-soundstage them as well. My main negative was that I felt, in direct comparison to the other iem's, tone color/richness was slightly less on the Tenores, like a picture that has faded slightly. Again, this is early listening, against mostly much more costly challengers. Gonna go through my bag of tips and do some burning in (mostly by listening), and can update more (if anyone is interested) after some more break in and tip rolling. (whew).

May 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #10,312 of 104,148
Addendum: to be complete, the AT's had bass that was excellent, to me, both in focus/tightness, and also in the amount, more than the Tenores, without messing up the mids imo (though, again, on their own, I found the Tenores bass to be good, tight, enjoyable).

May 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #10,313 of 104,148
Quote:
Some changes in my impressions now that my honeymoon with the DX210 is over:

After proper A/B comparison with the XBA3, I now find this a lot darker than my previous impression. Not that it's bad but some won't surely like this signature. It still is a FUN bassy IEM that is amazing with EDM and bright sounding Rock songs. On top of that, this is the most relaxing IEM I've tried/owned.

After modding my XBA3 by changing the filter, the Sony is now back on my top list. It's like a 2nd honeymoon with this amazingly detailed IEM. Everything is now well controlled especially the highs.

Now I'm back in my search for an affordable yet worthy upgrade to the XBA3. I'm sure it will be discovered in this thread very soon...

Now that I have the T-PEOS H-200 I've been prepping for a comparison with the XBA3. I had a filter mod on the XBA3 and found it too warm sounding compared to the H200 thus making the Sony sound inferior. So I decided to remove my filter mod to give XBA 3 some leverage and become a worthy contender against the H200s. I also ordered 3 sets of Comply Tsx200 (pictured below) and installed it on the XBA 3 with NO filter. My main reason for this is for protection against dust/dirt/earwax.

To my surprise, the XBA 3 sounds great with this setup! More airy, clear and open sounding. Soundstage has improved drastically. One disadvantage though is it's now very transparent and occasionally sibilant depending on the recording. If the song is badly mixed/mastered, the XBA 3 does not hesitate in exposing the flaws.

I know a couple of headfiers posted on this thread regarding the removal of filters. If you're reading this, can you try the Comply Tsx-200 and post your impressions? It would be nice to confirm my observations...

Update: 31/05/13
After removing the filter mod and despite the Comply Tsx-200, the metallic tinker in the upper highs became bothersome at high volumes.

So, I installed another filter mod but VERY THIN this time. I took the foam off one of the Sony Hybrid Noise Isolating tips: cut and shaped them into really thin (1.5 mm thick) filters. Results are spectacular: greatly reduced the metallic tinker without affecting the clarity in the highs. I'm really happy with them. XBA 3 + 1.5mm foam filter mod + Comply Tsx-200 = Awesometacular!

May 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #10,315 of 104,148
Quote:
Anyone gonna try out the MDUO's from Meelec?  They have a 20% discount on preorder right now.  I might give them a try.  

I just tried out that coupon and did the "re-calculate". The total is sitting there now at $61.04. Trying to hold my mouse back from gravitating towards the "checkout" button....

Dammit - I know nothing about these things except that they look purdy lol

Edit: Saved by the shipping charges lol! I had to add $9 for shipping to Canada. That's enough to make me resist for another day :)

May 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #10,316 of 104,148
Quote:

I just tried out that coupon and did the "re-calculate". The total is sitting there now at $61.04. Trying to hold my mouse back from gravitating towards the "checkout" button....

Edit: Saved by the shipping charges lol! I had to add $9 for shipping to Canada. That's enough to make me resist for another day :)

I also hit the purchase button but it's making me add the shipping so my cost comes to $63.99.  I think that is a sign for me to just skip this one but I do like Meelec. products and the company overall.  Now, do I wait for the Fiio X3 or get a Meier portable amp?  

May 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #10,317 of 104,148
Quote:

My total comes to $69.99 with cheapest shipping to UK.

I must resist, and remember I've still got Tenores to play with.

Plus I did enter the MEEWhat raffle twice lol 
size]

May 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #10,319 of 104,148
Quote:
any cool mid-range masterpieces in the discovery thread?

at what price range do you consider mid-tier?

below $100:
JVC HA-S500/S400
ATH CKN70
Audio Zero DX210
Audio Zero DX200 (still to be confirmed)

below $250
ATH WS99
ATH ES700
ATH CKS1000
JVC FXZ100
Sony XBA 3

For a full list, check out the first page on this thread.

May 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #10,320 of 104,148
any cool mid-range masterpieces in the discovery thread?

at what price range do you consider mid-tier?

below $100:
JVC HA-S500/S400
ATH CKN70
Audio Zero DX210
Audio Zero DX200 (still to be confirmed)

below $250
ATH CKS1000
Sony XBA 3

For a full list, check out the first page on this thread.

I was under the impression that (s)he meant mid-range sound. Which I believe would be the DX200 and the XBA-3(0).

Otherwise keep calm and go about your day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back