The discovery thread!
May 22, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #102,646 of 107,163
That was a very niche tuning, who will like the 200hz muddy upper bass focused sound?
That’s flathead earbuds. Measurements of those are mostly for 💩 and giggle. If you press the earpieces harder against the concha you have more bass. Release it just a touch and you have no bass.

Moondrop’s graph is likely correct since they use a HATS with ears.

May 22, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #102,647 of 107,163
The ZS10 Pro 2 doesn't need any modding, aside from picking the right tips and a nice copper cable. They sing and they sing without any peaks to my old ears. @Leonarfd has good young ears, so he's still FRESH with the sensitivity LOL :wink:
Haha.. it's a mini aful P8 cheapie with great tight quality bass! I don't burn in, just keep hearing em but the trebles did smoothen out I must say.

Leo, do some burnin if you can and try. Might work for you. As you seem to be fine with the quality for short sessions; burn in could do the job.

Btw I stuck to that goey stock eartips and all on switches. Not a shoutfest like og Simgot for sure. And way better bass and technicalities. @o0genesis0o and other P8 lovers, get em I say!

And
Awaiting my earbuds - oh ho forgot its name! had ordered couple of days back on leo and dynamiceears suggestion. Iirc Yincrow X6 or some such name. Should come by tomorrow, I hope.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #102,648 of 107,163
Hey everyone, I’ve been trying hard to suppress my curiosity because it’s like opening a whole new can of worms (similar to my previous post about cables). But I can’t hold back any longer - and maybe I like to open new cans of worms from time to time? - so I have to ask: Do you always stick with the default filter on your DACs, or do you have a preferred filter that you switch to whenever possible?

I know some people believe that filters are “invisible,” but in my experience, that’s not the case. For instance, when it comes to Linear Phase Filters, I’ve noticed a significant difference between the Fast and Slow options. The same applies when comparing Minimum Phase filters to Linear Phase ones. Despite the common understanding that filters only affect frequencies above 20 kHz (except for Slow Filters, which gradually drop within the audible range), my ears tell me otherwise. Why would I perceive differences if they were limited to the “inaudible” range?

What stands out most to me is how filters impact the “attack” and “decay”. Linear phase Slow filters offer a gentler attack and an airier presentation, while Linear Phase Fast Filters are sharper and quicker in both attack and decay, resulting in a cleaner but less airy sound. As for Minimum Phase Filters, they share the same characteristics I mentioned earlier for their Slow and Fast iterations, but compared to Linear Phase one their attack tends to be sharper and cleaner. However, their decay is generally slower—slower even than Linear Phase Slow Filters—leading to a more organic and richer overall sound. These are just a few of the distinctions I’ve observed. I decided to not go more in depth in this post because there are way too many in between Filters (Low ripple, Hybrid, Apodizing, etc.) and the post would end up being unnecessarily detailed and longer than it needs to be.

Now, to answer my own question: I tend to stick with the default filter on my DACs most of the time. After all, there must be a reason why the manufacturer chose a particular filter as the default. However, I also enjoy exploring different ones to take advantage of all the possibilities my DAC offers. Lately, I’ve been using mainly the Hybrid filter on my BTR15 and the Minimum Phase Fast filter on my KA17 (both default). Occasionally, I’d like to change them and use filters that I think better suit a particular IEM. For example, when I want to add a little more clarity to warmer-sounding IEMs, I switch to the Linear Phase Fast filter (or a variant of it). Alternatively, if the treble on an IEM is borderline too bright, I opt for a slow filter (either Linear Phase Slow or Minimal Phase Slow).
I only bother with DAC filters on my loudspeaker rig. The difference is so subtle that even the slightest shift in headphone/IEM position has a bigger effect than anything a change in filter will. It might make a difference while you're listening, but once you take your headphones/IEMs off and put them or another pair back in, the difference is lost. No reason to bother when it comes to putting things in/on your ears IMO.
What I learned lately is that us “audiophile” do not like high fidelity that much 😂 class A, NOS, dark IEMs. We always try to cut down that “high res” info that modern gear is capable of producing.
High res only counts as high res when you have to work for it. :wink:

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #102,649 of 107,163
Yeah I have some Aes Dana on a playlist in my collection somewhere. Mainly downloading FLAC and occasionally super hi-res 24bit-44.1kHz currently.

May 22, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #102,652 of 107,163
I'm unsure. The frequency response curve on the Moondrop website looks completely different from the one I've measured. However, to my ears, the curve I've posted accurately represents their sound. The bass is notably strong and covers a big part of the mid-range, even without a perfect fit.

6642c4d19ce69f8482a80073_U2_08.jpg

That’s flathead earbuds. Measurements of those are mostly for 💩 and giggle. If you press the earpieces harder against the concha you have more bass. Release it just a touch and you have no bass.

Moondrop’s graph is likely correct since they use a HATS with ears.

I suspect the way @atechreviews put the earbuds to the coupler is too tight, just like what @o0genesis0o said, earbuds should be put "hanging" on concha and doesn't sealed well like IEMs.

@atechreviews your IEMs measurements are great and "correct" but since you also concur that the sound is mimic Moondrop's FR, probably you didn't use artificial ear and leave the earbuds hangin on concha did you?
I never measure earbuds and headphones too since coupler only rig will be very off, they need artificial ears that mimic actual wearing style on human ears.

May 22, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #102,653 of 107,163
I used to listen to binaural, drone, and just straight up nature sounds but eventually leaned into more involving ambient efforts.

On my Miroak ii, some Ambient -techno

Courtesy you and superuser, listening to music i wouldn't normally hear early morning.

2024 remastered version of Fires of Ork

1000077415.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #102,654 of 107,163
I suspect the way @atechreviews put the earbuds to the coupler is too tight, just like what @o0genesis0o said, earbuds should be put "hanging" on concha and doesn't sealed well like IEMs.

@atechreviews your IEMs measurements are great and "correct" but since you also concur that the sound is mimic Moondrop's FR, probably you didn't use artificial ear and leave the earbuds hangin on concha did you?
I never measure earbuds and headphones too since coupler only rig will be very off, they need artificial ears that mimic actual wearing style on human ears.
I actually used an artificial ear for this measurement, as I obviously can't measure an earbud directly on a coupler. However, the artificial ear I used is basic and not lab-grade. I didn't use HATS or an accurate B&K 5218 for this measurement. Adjusting the fit affected the bass, but it remained within the range of measurement error.

Note: I mentioned that my listening impression matches the curve I measured and posted above. The bass is dominant even when I take them 50% outside my ears. Please take everything I said with a grain of salt, as this is just my experience and I am not an expert on earbuds. Listening experiences are subjective. Hopefully, other members will have it and share their own experiences, which will help us get a better view.

May 23, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #102,655 of 107,163
How on God's green earth did my CCA Hydro end up getting shipped to the Netherlands? First time it's ever taken that route. It's gonna be awhile before I see those land in my mailbox. I bet the Project M get here quicker?
There's a big consolidation/distribution centre there. A lot of stuff coming from China goes there before it gets sent to North America.

May 23, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #102,656 of 107,163
Hey everyone, I wanted to share my quick experience with the Moondrop U-2 earbuds. While I'm not typically a fan of earbuds, I have been impressed by a few, such as the Longyao Yinman 600. So, I decided to try the Moondrop U-2, and here are my impressions:

IMG_20240518_093046.jpg
  1. I was surprised by the quality and quantity of the bass from an earbud, but unfortunately, it overshadows the mid-range.
  2. The vocals and many instruments sound recessed, making them seem in the background.
  3. The treble is a bit dark.
I think this covers how they sounded, and here's the FR graph for those interested.

graph - 2024-05-21T155615.323.png
I just got the Moondrop U-2 in today and haven't spent too much time with them yet so I'm curious if you've measured them with or without foams.

I also had the Yinman 600 in use with my desktop amp for a couple weeks, but I ended up returning them. They were way too muddy and veiled to me with foams and unfortunately I couldn't get a good fit without foams. What's interesting is that your U-2 impressions are pretty much how I heard the Yinman 600.

I've only used the U-2 without any foams, but so far they sound more clear to me in comparison. Not the best, but still clearer than the Yinman 600 set I previously had. That just goes to show that all ears are different :beerchug:

May 23, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #102,657 of 107,163
Screenshot_20240523_105319_Chrome.jpg

Btw I have high hope for the TRN Medusa.
It is built from same DLC third gen like Conch and Conch driver is really2 good.
If this thing have similar trebles extension like Conch, it will be a killer IEM since this Medusa is 12mm driver (bass impact baby, yes size does matter for the real air impact). It can be good IEM to mod, but I will wait for the graph first, usually Paul Wasabi quite fast about FR graph.
And that beautiful DD shell combined with the transparent shell is pure art

May 23, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #102,658 of 107,163
Screenshot_20240523_105319_Chrome.jpg

Btw I have high hope for the TRN Medusa.
It is built from same DLC third gen like Conch and Conch driver is really2 good.
If this thing have similar trebles extension like Conch, it will be a killer IEM since this Medusa is 12mm driver (bass impact baby, yes size does matter for the real air impact). It can be good IEM to mod, but I will wait for the graph first, usually Paul Wasabi quite fast about FR graph.
And that beautiful DD shell combined with the transparent shell is pure art
Looks fab. Maybe this could be my first TRN. Having struck gold with successive KZs, this too might click. Single DD at 50usd.

Hope it comes to my country. By then reviews also would have arrived.

May 23, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #102,660 of 107,163
Yup it's me (again) with yet another review (shocking, I know). This time it's for the Celest Pandamon 2.0. I have to say that although it's not really my tuning preference, it is the most enjoyable planar I've heard up to this point. I can see the appeal and the shells are gorgeous. It's a very agile and capable driver. Head-fi and blog for those interested. Thanks!
1000022061.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back