The discovery thread!
May 14, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #101,491 of 103,525
The IEM i've been eyeing on Amazon is the CCA Polaris, which is a dual DD like the Merga, and I suspect it might be similar to how KZ handled the Trio, releasing it first as the CCA Trio and now as the KZ Vader? It's gotten good reviews, and it's got a coupon that drops it to $20? Intriguing. Yeah, looking forward to my Hydro, but that just left China, so I won't see that until this time next week at the earliest. The KZ ZS10 Pro landed in bottleneck Compton days ago, with no tracking movement since? Merga probably lands around the same time as the Hydro?
The Trio and Vader really had me thinking and you may be right. Hopefully your IEM treats make it swiftly to your doorstep/mailbox, I am generally impressed with how quickly items shipped from KZTWS arrive. It's about 2 weeks give or take for me in the Midwest of the USA.

May 14, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #101,492 of 103,525
CCA polaris is singe dd iem with dual cavity structure. Someone said it's good for female vocal.
Nah. I listen to female vocal music about as often as I listen to rap or classical, which isn't too often.

May 14, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #101,493 of 103,525
My "wow" synergy story of the day/week is the one with A&K HC2 DAC/dongle:
20240514_183209.jpg

Sources do mighty contribute to the sound chain, sorry Sound Science regurgitators with your mantra "all DACs should sound the same" - no way!
So my first experience with HC2 - the mid-centric HiSenior U4 - the sound feel so CLEAR that it is overemphasized (resolved or overresolved in the mids - I really like this enhancement for the synergy records but hardly for my preferred listening).
Then the timid old Brainwavz B400 really shined (!) with HC2 -+1!
Then, so nicely and surprisingly, V-shaped Audiosense T800 sounded amazingly enhanced with HC2 - not so much more in treble (that would be too much) but very much filling in greatly the extra mids -amazing - +2
My favourite modified ASX sounded very nicely with HC2 as well + 3.
1More Penta also benefited nicely from HC2 + 4.
ZAT - also nice +4.75.
Celest Phoenixcall synergy with HC2 was more subtle (great mids of Celest already, understandably) +5.25.
Celest Pluttus was fine/nice, but not that much extra synergy that I could hope for + 5.5.
AS24 - definitely great with HC2 (as with other good donglles, less difference here) + 6.

Ovetall, really great experience with A&K HC2 as the mightly punchy mid enhancer (no on-board volume control is the only grudge/limitation).

Ah interesting. I haven't heard all BAs only to know it's sound, only in hybrids.

@baskingshark and @Jaytiss I remember had v good impressions on the celest relentless.. Going by your impressions too, sounds like a winner.
BA drivers are fast and have usually fast decay (great for strings, less great for some drums), especially as per early Knowles bass drivers.
Then, it is quite dangerous to overgeneralize impressions about BAs - there are many different versions now. There are overdampened (to my ears) Sonions that sound so much close to DDs, side-firing BAs of Sony and other companies, and then BAs serving the entire range as in Magic One or Moondrop Droplet.
Great Audiosense T800 mentioned is my borderline for "too bassy" vented bass BAs.
So just follow your ears not any "general perception" and stigmas!
Few hours in with kz ZS10 Pro2, agree with your views. I haven't fiddled with switches yet. Left it all on, as it came. No burn in, fresh out of the box.

More Treble rich than Trio but luckily no harshness. Buzzing away

Trio has more bass quantity, pro2 matches it in quality. More midbass on Trio, perhaps a tad more subbass here on Pro2.

Trio feels smoother (quieter) perhaps due to less stuff happening in treble region. And hence more 'quiet' in the ears, if you get what I mean.

And agree with the following quote of yours

"If one likes Trio, and not fond of rich treble - Pro 2 may not be the way to go. If both Trio and treble are liked - Pro 2 can offer more openness, range and stage."

Did you hear TRN s17? How does it compare with Pro2?

And finally, this sounded fabulous on ZS10 Pro 2

I did post my impressions here in the Discovery for ST7 about two weeks ago.
To summarize/reiterate, I personally prefer more refined ZS10 pro 2 to ST7 by 60/40. Then despite my negative bias towards TRN (many subjective reasons), I have to attest that ST7 is a competent and competitive IEM.
Trio, ZS10 pro 2, and ST7 are an amazing budget trio/triplet in this hobby now!
Just realises that thjs IEM uses 1 DD for bass, 1DD for mid, and 8 same BAs for highs. I though it would be like 2DD+4BA+4BA.
Exactly, 4+4 BAs +DD(s) would be my preferred configuration, and the reason that I ordered Relentless and not Hydro.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #101,494 of 103,525
Exactly, 4+4 BAs +DD(s) would be my preferred configuration, and the reason that I ordered Relentless and not Hydro.
Hopefully KZ/CCA would soon figure out how to make a true isobaric dual DD woofer. I really like the sound of that woofer setup on any IEM that I have tried, including some ancient JH Audio ones.

if they can make a $200 with 2DD+4BA+PZT and tune it sanely, it will be great. (PZT here since there is no way they can source Sonion EST and make $200 IEM, unless Bellsing develops their own copy of Sonion EST).

Still waiting for the simgot SuperMix4. I'm hyping that one up in my head so much now 😂 I just learned today that PZT driver here seems to be similar to the vibrating ceramic plates in Unique Melody IEMs. It seems to vibrate the shells rather than pushing air in the nozzles.

May 14, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #101,496 of 103,525
ST7 looks really interesting. Anyone heard both ST7 and Conch and can compare?
Very different IEMs. Also, I would say it’s very tricky to do a proper comparison between the two because the Conch offers various sound profiles thanks to its tuning nozzles. To keep things simple, I will focalize mainly on the Conch with its default Reference nozzle.

Overall, the Conch (Reference nozzle) is dry, bright-leaning, and offers a very energetic presentation. The bass prioritizes quality over quantity, very precise with good transient speed. The treble boasts excellent extension, very resolute and sharp sounding, although it can be a tad overenthusiastic at times. The stage isn’t cramped by any means but falls only slightly above average. To summarize, think of it as EW200 with more “air” and a more expansive soundstage. One of its potential drawbacks is the possibility of sibilance on certain female vocals. If you are treble sensitive, it may be a good idea to try out different tips or simply switching to the Atmospheric nozzle, which reduces the treble and enhances the bass, offering a more balanced experience. To conclude versatility is its strong suit; by simply switching nozzles you have access to 3 different experiences with just one IEM (actually I would say 2, cause the Transparency nozzle further increases the treble response). And let's not forget that it's the best accessorized IEM under 50 dollars!

On the other hand, the ST7 provides a balanced and “relaxed” presentation. Like the Conch, the bass is present without dominating the scene, with good transient speed and nice punch, also I'd like to point out that it feels slightly more organic (driver difference—the Conch uses a DLC driver, while the ST7 uses an LCP one). The treble extension is really nice too, but unlike the Conch’s which sound brighter and sharper, the ST7’s treble is smoother and sibilance-free (and I would say potentially more resolving on busy tracks due to its additional drivers - not by much though). The soundstage is really wide and very immersive. A notable strength of the ST7 is its "delicacy"; it offers a fatigue-free listening experience, making it very suitable for prolonged listening sessions.

In summary:

Conch: Bright, dry, sharp, energetic (Reference Nozzle)
ST7: Balanced, smooth, relaxed, immersive

For reference, I use both of them with the same TRN T-Tips and TRN RedChain cable (balanced 4.4 connection).

EDIT: Side note, the Conch comes with the RedChain modular cable, the ST7 does not. So, re-cabling is needed for the ST7.

EDIT 2: Both IEMs are extremely good for the price, and there’s no clear winner or loser. Ultimately, I recommend choosing the one whose description intrigued you the most—you can’t go wrong with either, really.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #101,497 of 103,525
Hopefully KZ/CCA would soon figure out how to make a true isobaric dual DD woofer. I really like the sound of that woofer setup on any IEM that I have tried, including some ancient JH Audio ones.

if they can make a $200 with 2DD+4BA+PZT and tune it sanely, it will be great. (PZT here since there is no way they can source Sonion EST and make $200 IEM, unless Bellsing develops their own copy of Sonion EST).

Still waiting for the simgot SuperMix4. I'm hyping that one up in my head so much now 😂 I just learned today that PZT driver here seems to be similar to the vibrating ceramic plates in Unique Melody IEMs. It seems to vibrate the shells rather than pushing air in the nozzles.
They could use the TDK EST (Magnetostat, which is really what they all are) found in the SFR MT300 and I believe used in that abysmal CCA NRA crap?

May 14, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #101,498 of 103,525
<Snip A&K HC2 and BA appreciation>.

To summarize/reiterate, I personally prefer more refined ZS10 pro 2 to ST7 by 60/40.
Trio, ZS10 pro 2, and ST7 areban amazing budget trio/triplet in this hobby now

Great! Thanks. Will continue to enjoy exploring the ZS10 Pro2 and its treble for now! St17 isn't available in my country anyway. I love how Pro2 differs considerably from Trio, literally strengths lying at opposite ends of the spectrum, but with overall refinement.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #101,499 of 103,525
Very different IEMs. Also, I would say it’s very tricky to do a proper comparison between the two because the Conch offers various sound profiles thanks to its tuning nozzles. To keep things simple, I will focalize mainly on the Conch with its default Reference nozzle.

Overall, the Conch (Reference nozzle) is dry, bright-leaning, and offers a very energetic presentation. The bass prioritizes quality over quantity, very precise with good transient speed. The treble boasts excellent extension, very resolute and sharp sounding, although it can be a tad overenthusiastic at times. The stage isn’t cramped by any means but falls only slightly above average. To summarize, think of it as EW200 with more “air” and a more expansive soundstage. One of its potential drawbacks is the possibility of sibilance on certain female vocals. If you are treble sensitive, it may be a good idea to try out different tips or simply switching to the Atmospheric nozzle, which reduces the treble and enhances the bass, offering a more balanced experience. To conclude versatility is its strong suit; by simply switching nozzles you have access to 3 different experiences with just one IEM (actually I would say 2, cause the Transparency nozzle further increases the treble response). And let's not forget that it's the best accessorized IEM under 50 dollars!

On the other hand, the ST7 provides a balanced and “relaxed” presentation. Like the Conch, the bass is present without dominating the scene, with good transient speed and nice punch, also I'd like to point out that it feels slightly more organic (driver difference—the Conch uses a DLC driver, while the ST7 uses an LCP one). The treble extension is really nice too, but unlike the Conch’s which sound brighter and sharper, the ST7’s treble is smoother and sibilance-free (and I would say potentially more resolving on busy tracks due to its additional drivers - not by much though). The soundstage is really wide and very immersive. A notable strength of the ST7 is its "delicacy"; it offers a fatigue-free listening experience, making it very suitable for prolonged listening sessions

In summary:

Conch: Bright, dry, sharp, and energetic (Reference Nozzle)

For reference, I use both of them with the same TRN T-Tips and TRN RedChain cable (balanced 4.4 connection).

EDIT: Side note, the Conch comes with the RedChain modular cable, the ST7 does not. So, re-cabling is NEEDED for the ST7.
+1 with that summation of the ST7

May 14, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #101,500 of 103,525

On the other hand, the ST7 provides a balanced and “relaxed” presentation. Like the Conch, the bass is present without dominating the scene, with good transient speed and nice punch, also I'd like to point out that it feels slightly more organic (driver difference—the Conch uses a DLC driver, while the ST7 uses an LCP one). The treble extension is really nice too, but unlike the Conch’s which sound brighter and sharper, the ST7’s treble is smoother and sibilance-free (and I would say potentially more resolving on busy tracks due to its additional drivers - not by much though). The soundstage is really wide and very immersive. A notable strength of the ST7 is its "delicacy"; it offers a fatigue-free listening experience, making it very suitable for prolonged listening sessions

In summary:

Conch: Bright, dry, sharp, and energetic (Reference Nozzle)

EDIT: Side note, the Conch come with the RedChain modular cable, the ST7 does not. So, re-cabling is NEEDED for the ST7.
Wow, very detailed and good comparison! Thanks!!!

May 14, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #101,501 of 103,525

I hope KZ/CCA can figure that out as well, I'll definitely be interested in either scenario.

I am definitely hyped about the SuperMix4. The EA1000 and 500LM left a good impression on me. $150 dollars and a recent youtube video from Jays Audio have pretty much guaranteed I will buy it.

May 14, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #101,502 of 103,525
I love the Advar (and still kick myself for not picking up the ex-tour unit), but I don’t think it would compete well with Pilgrim. Love it or hate it, that IEM is solid.

I have mixed feelings about the Advar. I tested it twice and while it is technically competent for a single DD, there was a mammoth 6 -7 kHz area peak that may add sibilance and fatigue to the mix. So there are some tonal flaws unless you are open to EQing this area down.

May 14, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #101,503 of 103,525
I have mixed feelings about the Advar. I tested it twice and while it is technically competent for a single DD, there was a mammoth 6 -7 kHz area peak that may add sibilance and fatigue to the mix. So there are some tonal flaws unless you are open to EQing this area down.
Yeah, this IEM falls within the “oddballs that I like” along with Yvain and Gaea. Not a universal recommendation, IMHO.

May 14, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #101,505 of 103,525
Some pleasant warm synths for you bass lovers.

I freaking LOVE vibrasphere! Autum lights is my fav by far from them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back