The discovery thread!
May 13, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #101,402 of 103,505
Not shown here are the Tangz Tang Sancai normal bore, I have those too, but the (shown here blue) new wide bore Tangz Tang Sancai are the cat's meow!.......Also the Velvets!
DSC_1524.jpegsq.jpeg

Thanks !....I had a choice via Linsoul to order the normal or wide bore - alas the spreadsheet gives the latter quite a poor rating tbf.
The YT reviewer Donspektor - who compiled the spreadsheet outlines why he prefers the normal bore tips :-

The original Tangz Tang Sancai normal bore are great. You know ear-tip design and results are one of the single most personal aspects of the IEM inner-world. Though at Head-Fi we are able at times to find end results............taking place in parallel qualities. But realize it depends on the organic character of the ear-canal........the distance from the nozzle to your ear-drum, the DAP you have and the cable and IEM. Plus the personal goals you are trying to reach in relation to the inherent tone profile of the IEM interfacing with your own personal tone profile.

With the above nonsense said..........I have a fetish for wide-bores................only because I like a tighter bass with 90% of the IEMs I review.........that and there is no better way (except for DAP electronics, and cable structure) to gain a wider stage profile for the IEM in question.

May 13, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #101,403 of 103,505
Have you tried Tangz Tang Sancai tips??...ordered them today - they appear to have a high rating on this spreadsheet:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GXWLlUS2FeP6t48_1TeEQWC_IJFrZfBbw83jfLT3uu8/edit#gid=0
In case you want additional Eartip impression database,
Here's the one by Larry Fulton, tuners that formerly in TRN, i think Blon, and seems currently with 7hz

https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/
---

Well I FINALLY got some stuff in from Aliexpress... dang that app kept refunding me on all my orders, saying there's shipping problems -mostly with their bundle deals... anyhow got the KZ D-fi in and I was like... I paid 4$, is this a fake? I opened it up and nearly panicked when I saw no switches...!!! I look on the back of the box and it says the option is no mic, no switches. I check the KZ website, and sure enough, you can get the D-fi with no switches. Guess that's the sets no one wants so they're being dumped for cheap. EVERYONE here was going on about the switches so I never realized they sold a non-switch version. Besides, Iistening to them for a minute or two before hooking them up to burn in a little, they sounded good enough I could tell they weren't fakes. Guess my old KZ single DD king is about to fall! (the EDX.)
Someone praised the Non switch DFI as an attempt to create a cheap Oxygen tuning.
this is the tuned version vs oxygen fr

1715650969105.png

There is a bit of unit variation in d-fi (or measurement variation)
to be specific, some unit have 4k~5k that nearly perfectly mimic that oxygen tuning.

May 13, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #101,404 of 103,505
May 13, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #101,405 of 103,505
I see two unknown sony earbuds, one of the buds in the bottom 3rd row looks like a CCA CST, the IEM on the far right of the 2nd row might be a NiceHCK NX7 MK4.

There's probably a random KZ in that pile somewhere
Good eye. Yes sir. Sony EX300 and the MH755. Rarely used them. That is a CCA CST (bright as the sun), and all the NX7's are in the box, except the first two are in the bottom drawer without cables.

May 13, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #101,406 of 103,505
The hype with the NX7 was it's piezo implementation and the dual DD bottom end. Tribids in that day and age were hi mid-fi or summit fi in pricing, so here came this tribrid with piezo treble and dual DD bass!!! For about $100.00?! WHAT?! I recently pulled out my OG NX7, and I laughed and threw it right back into the wooden box where it will dwell for all time LOL The detail retrieval at the time. for it's price range, was revelatory. You were here during that hype. It was well warranted. It spits out the details, BUT, the mids are so recessed and distant, and THIN, that it's just not something that entertains my ears at this time. The bass dug deep and was punch af, like super punchy, and the highs were a bit tizzy, but extended. Average stage, but severely v shaped (think early KZ, but with way better technicalities). In hindsight, the naysayers were probably right about the OG NX7 (I admit as were those of the GK10). Now I have every iteration of the NX7, and the next one fixed the tizzy highs, but the mids were still too thin and recessed. Part III was a vast improvement on the technicalities and balance, but the stage remained average if a tad underwhelming (the dual CNT bass drivers though, are enchanting), and the IVth iteration is a further balancing, but the richness and extension of the treble is now gone, so though the stage is improved, the treble has been smoothed over and the Bery bass is very uninspired. I rarely use any of them, but for nostalgia listening.
Yeah, I joined the forum just as members were getting the first batch of the rev. 1, NX7. The rhetoric surrounding the release was engaging.

I just recv’d my TRN ST7; so it’s in the oven right now. But as I normally do, I had a quick listen, for DOA. Through a 3.5mm, on an older iPad, playing the free version of Pandora, the playback deserves a double take. It’s so rare that I come across a complex IEM, that doesn’t require a buttload of power, to play well and doesn’t suffer from the NX7’s pinched playback.

This is really a great time for new hobbyists to get into the swirly bowl, with the rest of us and get their funds flushed away.

My one initial problem with the ST7 is a self inflicted wound, by TRN. As I gave up on TRN after the cable debacle, I haven’t kept up with the company’s more recent developments. So when I ordered the ST7, I was a bit confused about the termination. On the screen it looks like QDC, but on the official AE page they make reference to the ST7 being a “newly improved 2-pin” and the landing page looks like the RedChain S pin termination. As far as I can tell, TRN is still QDC type.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #101,407 of 103,505
You can watch my complete review here:-

I hope you guys enjoy haha. @Singaravelan brother check the quality and location now. I am trying to find an empty plain wall in my home but you know indian homes, everywhere it's either almirah or something else :L3000: :L3000:

Looks much better, (Hero laage cheyy!) congrats!

And ha ha yeah Floyd couldn't have made their famous album in India for sure! ... Empty wall? Put a cabinet there, embed an almirah, move a bureau, place the extra mattress leaning on it between the sofa and the wall, and finally if miraculously empty, the kids would scribble...(As my kid did a few years ago!) 'I hate schooooooool'

That makes me wonder what was the graffiti on either side of the Berlin Wall, back then. That would have revealed the 2 side's urges too.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #101,408 of 103,505
Are these going to be sold separate from Aurora?
I just answered that, that I'm pretty sure, I mean that is what 100% of the makers do, they give you new ear-tips then sell them separately. The extra large are really, really big, and the yellow smaller bore fit deeper. Yet some how the large and extra large and the yellow seem to fit me?

DSC_0382.jpeg2s.jpeg

On another note:
https://penonaudio.com/PENON-VOLTAGE
Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 11.24.09 AM.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #101,409 of 103,505
Yeah, I joined the forum just as members were getting the first batch of the rev. 1, NX7. The rhetoric surrounding the release was engaging.

I just recv’d my TRN ST7; so it’s in the oven right now. But as I normally do, I had a quick listen, for DOA. Through a 3.5mm, on an older iPad, playing the free version of Pandora, the playback deserves a double take. It’s so rare that I come across a complex IEM, that doesn’t require a buttload of power, to play well and doesn’t suffer from the NX7’s pinched playback.

This is really a great time for new hobbyists to get into the swirly bowl, with the rest of us and get their funds flushed away.

My one initial problem with the ST7 is a self inflicted wound, by TRN. As I gave up on TRN after the cable debacle, I haven’t kept up with the company’s more recent developments. So when I ordered the ST7, I was a bit confused about the termination. On the screen it looks like QDC, but on the official AE page they make reference to the ST7 being a “newly improved 2-pin” and the landing page looks like the RedChain S pin termination. As far as I can tell, TRN is still QDC type.
Yeah it's QDC. I'm using the Z300 cable, which uses QDC.

May 14, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #101,410 of 103,505

Oh yeah, I am falling in love with this cheap as chips 7 driver wonder. Playing thru my DX170 at the moment, listening to Yes - 90128 on DSD, and just fantastic! TRN ST7 is BOSS. for reals.

May 14, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #101,411 of 103,505
I just answered that, that I'm pretty sure, I mean that is what 100% of the makers do, they give you new ear-tips then sell them separately. The extra large are really, really big, and the yellow smaller bore fit deeper. Yet some how the large and extra large and the yellow seem to fit me?

DSC_0382.jpeg2s.jpeg

On another note:
https://penonaudio.com/PENON-VOLTAGE
Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 11.24.09 AM.png

Attachments

• io volare$599.00.jpg
    io volare$599.00.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
May 14, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #101,412 of 103,505

My excitement for them is growing bigtime, enjoying one minDblowing budget set is enough already - but potentially two is ??.....in all honesty next level !!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #101,414 of 103,505
^ The totally stunning Volare !!....droooool.
I've almost convinced myself to skip the Pilgrim and go straight to the Volare lol. But I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit the pay now button, KZ/CCA will suddenly release a 2DD/4BA/4EST pokemon with 8 tuning switches for under $200... probably call it the Death Star.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #101,415 of 103,505
I've almost convinced myself to skip the Pilgrim and go straight to the Volare lol. But I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit the pay now button, KZ/CCA will suddenly release a 2DD/4BA/4EST pokemon with 8 tuning switches for under $200... probably call it the Death Star.
The KZ Death Star sounds awesome! XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back