The discovery thread!
May 1, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #100,231 of 101,627
Ah the racist who also threatened to poison reviewers is making another headphone? Easy pass.
This hobby has multiple reasons to not buy stuff. You can pick any reason. Price, company, collab, potential fit issues, design, or you just don't need it in your collection. Maybe you even just like money.

I am in the market for a cozy open-back, and it looks good. Even if it's on par with my Edition XS, it looks better built. I feel that my Edition XS headphone is just one fall away from being unusable. I don't care about product stories, and only if they are good, and good for my use.

As far as the drama goes. I kinda hate drama, and feel everyone deserves a second chance as misunderstandings are a part of life. Culture in the Ukraine is very different, and in a sense I feel we are helping someone who is being affected by a brutal war. Again politics aside, I'm only considered with the quality of the product and as this is an experienced veteran and the build of the headphone looks great, I think for it's price it is promising.

May 1, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #100,233 of 101,627
The little FEAT is really good after burn-in.
D0B2C44D-EEE4-496C-8A9D-96B9AB8D2F54.jpeg

May 1, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #100,234 of 101,627
How long til Sony releases a successor to the Z1R?

It's been on my radar for years but there's a lot of stuff nowadays for less.

I'm getting a flagship IEM if I don't upgrade my old Dell laptop later this year.

I don't wanna buy a Z1R and then Sony announces a successor 3 days after.

May 1, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #100,235 of 101,627
This hobby has multiple reasons to not buy stuff. You can pick any reason. Price, company, collab, potential fit issues, design, or you just don't need it in your collection. Maybe you even just like money.

I am in the market for a cozy open-back, and it looks good. Even if it's on par with my Edition XS, it looks better built. I feel that my Edition XS headphone is just one fall away from being unusable. I don't care about product stories, and only if they are good, and good for my use.

As far as the drama goes. I kinda hate drama, and feel everyone deserves a second chance as misunderstandings are a part of life. Culture in the Ukraine is very different, and in a sense I feel we are helping someone who is being affected by a brutal war. Again politics aside, I'm only considered with the quality of the product and as this is an experienced veteran and the build of the headphone looks great, I think for its price it is promising.
Living in the system we do, obviously I cannot guarantee that my money doesn’t go to people I wouldn’t wish to support, with views I find reprehensible. It’s fine if it doesn’t bother you, spend the money how you like. It does bother me though.

there are plenty of small start ups out there to support that are not ran by despicable people who can make a headphone.

May 1, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #100,236 of 101,627

As far as the drama goes. I kinda hate drama, and feel everyone deserves a second chance as misunderstandings are a part of life. Culture in the Ukraine is very different, and in a sense I feel we are helping someone who is being affected by a brutal war. Again politics aside, I'm only considered with the quality of the product and as this is an experienced veteran and the build of the headphone looks great, I think for it's price it is promising.

Remind me, next time I'm in your neck of the woods, to bring my JM XTC. It's a closed back but if you're in the market (I'm not getting any commission on this 😂), I had an open back from JM and it was badass.

May 1, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #100,237 of 101,627
So, I cancelled my Dusk order with AliExpress but picked up from someone on Head-Fi.

1000031784.jpg

1000031789.jpg

Initial impressions so far, Analog right now: Damn! This is really freaking nice.

May 1, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #100,238 of 101,627

I'm getting a flagship IEM if I don't upgrade my old Dell laptop later this year.

Your right. Sony is due for another revamp for their IEMs. XBA-Z5 was in 2014, IER-Z1R in 2018, If you go by 4-6 year cycles. That means maybe by next year. I say next year as they would have announced something or showed something new at one of the can jams/ trade shows this year if they had something planned. But I would imagine they probably been in the works and should roll out something sooner vs later.

This being said. Nothing wrong with a 2nd hand cleanly used IER-Z1R. I bought mine used on the sales forum and it was like new and saved a lot of money. I see them being sold all the time used on the forums. Just because the Z1R is circa 2018 does not mean it is outdated. I don't know what Sony has planned for their next flagship IEM but that don't automatically make the IER-Z1R obsolete. That thread is going strong even now.

May 1, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #100,239 of 101,627

There were times of fumbling with Sony, where they came out with a little known DAP before 2016 when they introduced the 1Z and 1A. Same as they made the Z7 as their TOTL, though it only held that position for a short time as around 2016/2017 before they made the full-size Z1R. And having both, I can say the MDR-Z1R is more of an audiophile headphone. But they had to make the MDR-Z7 to understand what they where doing. The MDR-Z1R is not been surpassed either, as the IER-Z1R. There are very few ways to know when Sony will make a IER-Z1R MK2. I mean sure the next one may be pretty good, and in a way the XBA-Z5 was like the MDR-Z7, before the MDR-Z1R came out? Both the Z7 and XBA-Z5 have a lot of bass! I know that’s a confusing example, but Sony seems to be improving this stuff with each step. They must have fired all the sound guys in white lab-coats as the MDR-R10 was the opposite of the MDR-Z1R, the R10 is totally totally neutral! The most neutral headphone ever made.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #100,240 of 101,627
So, I cancelled my Dusk order with AliExpress but picked up from someone on Head-Fi.

1000031784.jpg

1000031789.jpg

Initial impressions so far, Analog right now: Damn! This is really freaking nice.

I vastly prefer it on analog. Unbelievable results on my Tempotec V6 with soundfield plugin enabled (a few times). Spectacular results with iFi iDSD Signature with Xbass and Xspace enabled. Honorable mentions, Asgard 3 w/ Lavaudio D600 DAC and iFi Zen stack air.

May 1, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #100,241 of 101,627
Remind me, next time I'm in your neck of the woods, to bring my JM XTC. It's a closed back but if you're in the market (I'm not getting any commission on this 😂), I had an open back from JM and it was badass.
Ooo I want to try that one. I like JM. I used an XTC open for the longest time then sold it to afford my DC E3.

May 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #100,243 of 101,627
Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #100,244 of 101,627
I vastly prefer it on analog. Unbelievable results on my Tempotec V6 with soundfield plugin enabled (a few times). Spectacular results with iFi iDSD Signature with Xbass and Xspace enabled. Honorable mentions, Asgard 3 w/ Lavaudio D600 DAC and iFi Zen stack air.

So far, Analog is really good but DSP is just so freaking smooth. It's crazy good so far so going to need to do a lot of listening.

May 1, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #100,245 of 101,627
So far, Analog is really good but DSP is just so freaking smooth. It's crazy good so far so going to need to do a lot of listening.
The DSP is like an ideal analog chain, so you get good results without having to worry about having gear that has good synergy with the set or happens to appeal to your senses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back