The discovery thread!
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #99,737 of 100,493
That's Cantor but to be released in 2039. As apparently afulovesickbirds don't mind waiting eternally for the promised land.
It will be released on the same day with half-life 3, okay?

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #99,738 of 100,493
My take on Cantor is that they want to spread their wings a little and release an even better product. I think the Magic one was a little audiofile tuned and didn't reach the mainstream love they wanted. I'm excited to hear the Aful Explorer.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #99,739 of 100,493
The fact they have chosen a more expensive curved screen says it all - form over function. Replacement screens will be more expensive as well
yeah, its one aspect i don't like, curved oled is expensive for expensive sake.
it'll limit screen guards options and it also make the phone case annoying.

while, smartphone import is a bit difficult in my country right now.
this might be good enough for a internet connected portable media hoard. a secondary device for enjoying music, books, and films
its not for day to day communication or photo taking, or basically not for main smartphone.

however design aspect shown so far, i don't see forward facing speaker slats and didn't see upper speaker hole...
again, it'll be funny if this thing have crummy speakers.
also to be noted, smartphone signal frequency differ from country to country.
i don't know the details, but while it works in china, it might not work in your country. so, IF you wanna take this, check that detail first.

... but again. its moondrop. especially a passion product that currently crummy enough so moondrop won't do product launch.
anyhow, its fun to see fullsized android based DAP that is now at $350 or below.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #99,740 of 100,493
It will be released on the same day with half-life 3, okay?
:) seriously though, you should give 634ears a go. That brighter version of loak 1 or 3 iirc.

Miroak2 is outstanding. Of course wait for Cantor, since it's been living rent free in your head for a year now! But if the tuning isn't to your taste, try Musashi San's wizardry. He did say to me the loak's with BAs has a larger soundstage etc. aligned with brightness, it might do the job for you.

Edit: loaks don't have BAs. Ignore that)

As for me, if that new kz proves a hit with my ears, am afraid I can see myself plunging headlong onto kz train!

But will wait for @Leonarfd 's new loak to come and hear his impressions. His is a version that's not too bright and warmer iirc. Then I might just bite.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #99,741 of 100,493
however design aspect shown so far, i don't see forward facing speaker slats and didn't see upper speaker hole...
again, it'll be funny if this thing have crummy speakers.
Do you use your phone speakers a lot? Only time I use it these days is to hear a WhatsApp audio message or perhaps a meme with audio.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #99,742 of 100,493
Do you use your phone speakers a lot? Only time I use it these days is to hear a WhatsApp audio message or perhaps a meme with audio.
usually when i'm lying down at home browsing around youtube and the like.
can't exactly put iem on my ear that often at home as i need to be able to be talk to and need to listen to my surrounding.
hence before, at home, in my laptop, i often uses open back headphone.
i still get good sound, but sounds still travel through it.

still a respectable audio company smartphone... have crummy speaker is a bit funny to me.

---
and the obligatory waifu..
1714021061675.jpeg

1714021201893.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #99,743 of 100,493
1000020413.jpg

Just received the Simgot EM6L today and had a very brief listening session. Early impressions are very good! Easily Simgot's best tuning for me!

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #99,744 of 100,493
I wont respect a company which can't even deal with a simple problem like chipping, and keep fooling consumers with fancy waifu. There are always many established and cheap smartphone solutions from China that you can buy from. A 99% look alike iphone latest gen. is priced less than $150 only. Obviously, the most difficult part for Moondrop is not making the phone itself, but making a phone that dont chip.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #99,745 of 100,493
I wont respect a company which can't even deal with a simple problem like chipping, and keep fooling consumers with fancy waifu. There are always many established and cheap smartphone solutions from China that you can buy from. A 99% look alike iphone latest gen. is priced less than $150 only. Obviously, the most difficult part for Moondrop is not making the phone itself, but making a phone that dont chip.
like i said before

"Paint chipping? Please, that's so pedestrian. Our paint bubbles"
Moondrop will find unique issue for their products

and the fact that Moondrop boss didn't held a product launch for this smartphone because he thought its fairly crummy, its a big red flag.
but yeah, its a fairly unique product that i wished to be more common.
and surprisingly well priced for what you get. spec wise at least. not sure on product quality.

Xperia Walkman with dedicated DAC/AMP and 3.5mm+4.4mm out would be GREAT.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #99,746 of 100,493
like i said before

"Paint chipping? Please, that's so pedestrian. Our paint bubbles"
Moondrop will find unique issue for their products

and the fact that Moondrop boss didn't held a product launch for this smartphone because he thought its fairly crummy, its a big red flag.
but yeah, its a fairly unique product that i wished to be more common.
and surprisingly well priced for what you get. spec wise at least. not sure on product quality.

Xperia Walkman with dedicated DAC/AMP and 3.5mm+4.4mm out would be GREAT.

I am sure it will be a big fish to them. Price wont be less than $799。

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #99,747 of 100,493
:) seriously though, you should give 634ears a go. That brighter version of loak 1 or 3 iirc.

Miroak2 is outstanding. Of course wait for Cantor, since it's been living rent free in your head for a year now! But if the tuning isn't to your taste, try Musashi San's wizardry. He did say to me the loak's with BAs has a larger soundstage etc. aligned with brightness, it might do the job for you.

As for me, if that new kz proves a hit with my ears, am afraid I can see myself plunging headlong onto kz train!

But will wait for @Leonarfd 's new loak to come and hear his impressions. His is a version that's not too bright and warmer iirc. Then I might just bite.
What do you mean Loak's with BAs?

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #99,748 of 100,493
Hi all, this is Joseph speaking as a hobbyist and just going to translate some 1st party chatter from Moondrop on the phone for everyone's interest and PSA I suppose. The phone's highlight are as follows:

The tagline / sales pitch from Moondrop on Bilibili about the the device functioning as a phone, is that "it sorta works"

And from Herbert, the CEO of Moondrop, here's his candid opinion about the product:

All sources posted here for anyone to critique my translations. I do really respect a company who would come up with such a product tbh, and I can't wait to hear it.

1713979654873.png 1713979761780.png 1713979801775.png
I'm a bit of a power user coz I usually play demanding games and run emulators on my phone. While not top-notch, their specs are decent, but brands like Xiaomi and Poco outperform them in the price-to-performance category.

Moondrop's use of stock Android is great because there's no bloat to worry about. I also appreciate the expandable storage.

As for the camera, I'm not a heavy user, but good-quality pictures suffice. The 5000 mAh battery is really good, especially considering the power drain of the AMP/DAC.

I commend Moondrop's focus on audiophile features and I hope other manufacturers follow suit, although they seem more focused on wireless audio.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #99,749 of 100,493
What do you mean Loak's with BAs?
Oops! Mea culpa...

"...wide soundstage, you may want to buy BA drivers or the top-of-the-line 634EARS earphones."

That was his line and I misunderstood it.

He means his top of the line dd stuff could satisfy my greed, of course.

Thanks for pointing!

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #99,750 of 100,493
I'm a bit of a power user coz I usually play demanding games and run emulators on my phone. While not top-notch, their specs are decent, but brands like Xiaomi and Poco outperform them in the price-to-performance category.

Moondrop's use of stock Android is great because there's no bloat to worry about. I also appreciate the expandable storage.

As for the camera, I'm not a heavy user, but good-quality pictures suffice. The 5000 mAh battery is really good, especially considering the power drain of the AMP/DAC.

I commend Moondrop's focus on audiophile features and I hope other manufacturers follow suit, although they seem more focused on wireless audio.
There used to be this thing where Sony made their own style of Linux for the WM1A and WM1Z. Where the direction used to be try and make the DAPs stripped-down. The WM1A and WM1Z MK2 have Android now. So that’s the thing the technology may enable black backgrounds, power and things like EQ that audiophiles love. There may in the future be a way to turn-off the phone section and almost make the phone like a stand alone DAP. Really with the way things are going the possibilities are endless. I would like to see DUNU make a phone, maybe some of the other major players like HiBy or even Sony to come out with Audiophile Phones. Just like there is really no valid reason except sound quality, at the moment to try and carry both a phone and a DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back