The discovery thread!
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8,206 of 101,798
Quote:
they are made in china. generally, if it doesn't feel like you can successfully hang yourself with them, then they might be fake
biggrin.gif
they come with lots oh sony hybrid and noise isolating (ones with foam under the flanges) tips and a weird cable clip and a case.

You don't have to worry though - AJ are reputable dealers, running a risk of getting a fake from them is almost nonexistent...

oh and burn them in with noises and frequency swipes at very high volumes. they do break in...

Quote:
I say burn them in with heavy bass music on full blast for 300hr at least.

Cheers, looks like they won't arrive today, its been at Manchester Customs since 7am this morning. 

300hours ? isn't that a lot? after burn in what's different? sound quality, bass ?

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #8,209 of 101,798
Quote:
After 300hr you get better control, resolution, soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mochill - use the quote feature lol! The above is in relation to the xb90's, correct?

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #8,210 of 101,798
Guys, I just got a pair of Hifiman HE-400 velour pads in the mail today......$16 shipped, you gotta try these on the Somic's! The soundstage has really expanded, and the sound has balanced out perfectly neutral. I can not believe what a beautiful sound I am getting, but consider I also modded wire/cable. The velour pads fit around ear, are much cooler and more comfortable than the 840 pads, HM5 pads, M50 pads, and stock pads. I'm hooked.....bought these for the MH463's that I have on order, but I will surely be ordering a couple more pair of the velours. The fit a little loose, but they stay on. I have some O rings I am going to try later to see if they will fit a little more secure. Can't believe I am getting bigger soundstage, better imaging, and more detail......thought I maxxed out on that with the HM5 and 840 pads. Definately more details in the highs, and better layering all round, bass slightly tighter good quality and quantity!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #8,211 of 101,798
Quote:
posted this on the deals thread, 

the sony mh1c for $19 here, if anyone  wants to give it a try
http://www.waywal.com/sony-mh1c-hands-free-headsets-for-sony-smartphone.html

Ordered it from there in begin januari and still haven't received anything. Made a claim on paypal a 2 week back and got my money back.

So don't buy from them!!

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #8,215 of 101,798
Quote:
Came across this IEM/headphones magazine. Written by a prestigious Japanese award organization called the VGP. The XB90EX seem very solid, they are ranked above the TDK IE800. I'm not sure if everything is ranked by sound quality or item value, though. Also note they split everything up into price ranges first, so there's no telling whether something in one bracket beats something in another bracket.

That VGP magazine is definitely great. If you want I can translate the ratings from the magazine for you guys. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #8,216 of 101,798
Quote:
did he provide a tracking number? he said he would and i was about to order a pair

No I didn't get any tracking number.

Where you able to contact them? I tried a lot but they never replied, not even on the paypal claim.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #8,217 of 101,798
Quote:
Bro, I guess the both of us can retire blissfully from Head'fi now.
biggrin.gif

AD900X for audio nirvana at home, WS99 for outdoors.
gr07be for clarity, xb90ex for bass rumbles...

Close... I figured that adding the xb90ex's to my ws99 tenso shipment (which just left Tokyo btw!) would have pushed the total value into "Canadian customs will want to bend me over" territory, so I took a chill pill and backed off on them for now. I did though order a C&C BH amp to try out alongside my E12... it's 80 hour battery life intrigues me and could come in very handy for me. I'll be very surprised if it sounds better with the ad900x's than the E12 does, but we will see!

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #8,218 of 101,798
Quote:

Close... I figured that adding the xb90ex's to my ws99 tenso shipment (which just left Tokyo btw!) would have pushed the total value into "Canadian customs will want to bend me over" territory, so I took a chill pill and backed off on them for now. I did though order a C&C BH amp to try out alongside my E12... it's 80 hour battery life intrigues me and could come in very handy for me. I'll be very surprised if it sounds better with the ad900x's than the E12 does, but we will see!

oh, that's something i'm looking fwd to, E12 vs C&C BH

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #8,219 of 101,798
I just did the "filter mod" suggested by mochill on xb90ex. well, I got what he promised - highs are sparklier and I like it. the sound became a little bit more detailed,  and it still has excellent natural timbre (I was afraid I'd lose it). also It became airy. oh, and as a safety measure, I used woman pantyhose stretched over the bore held by pure tension from the tip stems as a filter to protect these babies.

thanks mochill :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back