The discovery thread!
Jan 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6,646 of 101,983
Dsnuts,  What type of pads are on your AD900's?  Looking to try different pads on the AD900X, to see if the sound may change, if I can find some that fit!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #6,647 of 101,983
Well I know pleather AT pads will fit them and give out much more bass.. But for me at least it is hard to argue with the comfort on these pads.  Also have you tried not putting on all them sound enhancements on your equipment to hear these out straight? The reason why I ask this is because. I know you like your sound enhancement.. If you look at the driver face there is a metal grill that is cone in shape while being angled.. This gives a natural space 3D type sound to your tunes. I am thinking with all that stuff you got going on you might be over doing it on these cans. I think maybe on lesser cans you might need them enhancements but these don't. Just a thought. Might want to try that if you haven't.

Something I found out yesterday. The cups on the AD900X is so big and with the angled drivers you have to have the right cup placement over your ears for the best sound.. What I mean is. I noticed when moving around the cups I get all sorts of different sound shifts. Sound gets thinner and less full the more back to my head I have the cup vs the more front I have my cups on the head. 

The back of my ears touch the back of the deep pads and it is at this point I am getting the best sound. For the guys that own them or about to own them give this a try. It will surprise you. It makes sense as the drivers are angled toward the back of the cups instead of the front.

Also I got my new black version of the MP8320 the MP9927. Actually came in a box with extra tips. I think someone at monoprice been reading the threads. Lol.

Damn and they sound just as great as ever. If you guys have never tried these gems and you have medium to large ears. These things for $7.59 or so are excellent.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #6,648 of 101,983
Quote:
Ds,

How are those CKN50s treating you? Don't recall seeing a full on review\ impression on them as the ES700 seem to have gotten most of the love. I do remember you saying that AT has really upped their game so maybe some of that will be translated down to their two newer and cheaper offerings CLR100 and COR150 at $15 and $20 MSRP respectively. CLR is clear while COR is Core Bass. Seems like something to put out on the radar. 

ath_clr100bk_1.jpg
CLR100      
ath_cor150bk_1.jpg
COR150

Gonna have to give both these a go when they become available.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6,649 of 101,983
Quote:
Well I know pleather AT pads will fit them and give out much more bass.. But for me at least it is hard to argue with the comfort on these pads.  Also have you tried not putting on all them sound enhancements on your equipment to hear these out straight? The reason why I ask this is because. I know you like your sound enhancement.. If you look at the driver face there is a metal grill that is cone in shape while being angled.. This gives a natural space 3D type sound to your tunes. I am thinking with all that stuff you got going on you might be over doing it on these cans. I think maybe on lesser cans you might need them enhancements but these don't. Just a thought. Might want to try that if you haven't.

Something I found out yesterday. The cups on the AD900X is so big and with the angled drivers you have to have the right cup placement over your ears for the best sound.. What I mean is. I noticed when moving around the cups I get all sorts of different sound shifts. Sound gets thinner and less full the more back to my head I have the cup vs the more front I have my cups on the head. 

The back of my ears touch the back of the deep pads and it is at this point I am getting the best sound. For the guys that own them or about to own them give this a try. It will surprise you. It makes sense as the drivers are angled toward the back of the cups instead of the front.

Yeah Ds, I hear what you are saying, but I tried them without crossfeed, and different levels of crossfeed, no big difference.  I like to use crossfeed because over time it reduces fatigue quit a bit, allowing me to have headphones on for longer periods of time.  But crossfeed is a checkbox on and off, so a mouse click and I can A/B.  I do resample all of my 44.1 to 88.2 through MC 18, what that gives me is more detail. 

I have read descriptions of the AD900X as smooth and laid back, I recall that in my modded W1000X.  I am just hoping for a more natural sound to instraments, piano, violins, acoustic bass, don't hear that right now.   Cup placement does not do anything significant.  I can say that they are slightly better off of my Fuze/E11, but I loose clarity with that setup.  My RE272 are my most neutral IEM's in comparison, the notes on the AD900X are, more smooth and laid back, the RE272's are very good with the low end bumped up a couple of db.

This morning I have been listening with a different extension cable, and I have several.  According to Drewbrew at Moon Audio, the Blue Dragon is his most neutral wire.  But, I think if adds dynamic's and more low end.  That cable is bringing it on with the AD900X.  The Blue Dragon works well with my S500, but I get too much bass with the Somic's, about 4 -6db more than the S500 and AD900X.  I know most here won't believe an extension cable can make much difference......c'mon to my house, I will show you.  I ordered some Mogami Gold Neglex Quad cable last night, that is used in about every sound studio in the world, in one way or another.  The point being, the Mogami Gold is reknowned by sound engineer's, to be the most neutral cable out there.  Which is why so many recording engineers use it.  If the cable adds something, as an extension cable, I would like to find something neutral.

So, I just got done with a little mod on the AD900X, that I thought might work...........right now, I am liking the AD900X a lot more.  With the Blue Dragon cable and this mod (my dampening material from the S500/HM5 pad modd), they have lost the artificial sounds of the instraments, and the weight of notes have more texture......now they are sounding way more natural, and no loss in soundstage, imaging vocals, separation.  They now sound like a more natural presentaion, more real sounding, and more dynamic, more emotions to the sounds.

They are sounding more worthy of the cable upgrade that I had planned.  I need to do more listening and burn in.  You would not believe how they have changed for the better with the modd and the Blue Dragon extension.  I sit 9 feet from my gears, so I need to extend from my tube amp to my listening position.  And yes, I did try the stock cable direct to my tube amp, couldn't find any love!

Right now, I am hearing vocals with more texture, better tone....I like!

I am sounding like a picky person eh.......I would agree with myself on that account!

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6,650 of 101,983
Lol. Cute. I expect nothing less.. And you are no where near done punching out the drivers. I think 100 hours is just the beginning. 53mm drivers in the raw is what were talking about so. Let them drivers have it.

I was gonna say cute. Your a vocal lover and if you can't hear the brilliance of these cans with female vocals. Well your drivers aren't quite there yet so I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. But if these cans don't completely immerse in the most gorgeous female vocal presentation I have no idea what does. Once you hear them vocals using that stage. It is over.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6,651 of 101,983
Quote from cute:

"I am sounding like a picky person eh.......I would agree with myself on that account!"

That is the kind of listener that I find the most helpful when reading impressions on headphones.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #6,653 of 101,983
Quote:
Are SHE 3500 any different from SHE 3580 in quality??

Sorry; I don't think anyone here has ever heard the SHE 3500. Seem it is using the same housing probably the same driver as well. But tuning could be different. Even more bassier maybe.

If your looking for something better than the SHE 3580 I would look into the SHE 9700. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #6,656 of 101,983
Yes. I have tried and owned many of the Philips earphones and the SHE9700 while an older earphone design over the SHE3580 was actually an improvement because of the more spacious housing it uses and is also vented. The sound has a bit more room to breathe and has some really nice bass on them too. I would look them up.  I have no idea about the SHE3500. Never tried them.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #6,657 of 101,983
Quote:
Lol. Cute. I expect nothing less.. And you are no where near done punching out the drivers. I think 100 hours is just the beginning. 53mm drivers in the raw is what were talking about so. Let them drivers have it.

I was gonna say cute. Your a vocal lover and if you can't hear the brilliance of these cans with female vocals. Well your drivers aren't quite there yet so I will give you the benefit of the doubt here. But if these cans don't completely immerse in the most gorgeous female vocal presentation I have no idea what does. Once you hear them vocals using that stage. It is over.

With the BD extension cable and the little mod to the cups, they are close to where I was hoping.  I cut dampening material, a real find for me, cut it the shape of the white tape you see on the cups.  So it's a ring of 1/8" material about 1/2" wide, center cutout the size of the driver circumferance, I think it absorbs resonance in the highs, and gives a more rich sound. 

Perfect, IMO!  Have to wait and see if more improvements come, they should.......don't really sound like a cable upgrade may be needed right now! 

Am hearing very good female vocals, on par with the Somic's!

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #6,658 of 101,983
Quote:
Yes. I have tried and owned many of the Philips earphones and the SHE9700 while an older earphone design over the SHE3580 was actually an improvement because of the more spacious housing it uses and is also vented. The sound has a bit more room to breathe and has some really nice bass on them too. I would look them up.  I have no idea about the SHE3500. Never tried them.

ok thanks but unfortunately SHE9700 here in greece cost 50euros so maybe i am going to order them from ebay! thanks a lot! i also like monoprices design but to order them here in greece is too expensive...

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #6,660 of 101,983
Quote:
ok thanks but unfortunately SHE9700 here in greece cost 50euros so maybe i am going to order them from ebay! thanks a lot! i also like monoprices design but to order them here in greece is too expensive...

If you can get them SHE3500s. Might as well try them. They should have the philips tuning. Fun sound signature. If its is cheap and local to you.. They have some real gems in their line up. These might be one of them..Something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back