The discovery thread!
Nov 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #5,161 of 100,468
Using the MDR-1R+Ele+E11.. Sounds great. 

This combo works really well. The E11 adds some meat to the sound on the Ele dac. I likes it! I would love to hear how the E17 does against this same combo in sound.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,163 of 100,468

This combo works really well. The E11 adds some meat to the sound on the Ele dac. I likes it! I would love to hear how the E17 does against this same combo in sound.

Very intriguing! You had mentioned to me that the E11 is about $50 on amazon. On amazon.ca, it's $82.95 (shipping included), so that's still not too bad. Hmm!

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #5,164 of 100,468
Ya this is a very nice little combo of the ELe dac and the Fiio E11.

The FiioE11 can be used easily plugged into your phone or dap on the go and when your at your desk you can do that same combo I just posted. The synergy with the Ele dac and the Fiio E11 is excellent. A great match. I know many of you guys might be skeptical of this little DAC being so cheap n all but I am completely sold on it..I do expect the Hifimidey sabre dac to have the better sound but by how much is the question.  This little combo easily sounds just as good as my other DAC/AMP combos.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5,165 of 100,468
Interesting. So I was browsing the DAC section of Amazon and I found this. The description

1. high-end Burr Brown PCM2704 IC for USB audio conversion and provide all functions of Audiophile USB Transport, USB DAC and headphone amplifier.
  2. separated digital/analog ground. The digital GND (network) and the analog GND (solid) is totally separated except connected via a ferrite bread in a single point. It effectively reduce interference between digital signals and analog signals.
  3. 4pins high accuracy crystal clock (±25ppm) and Option to use USB bus power [convenient] or external power [better sound] (e.g. Trends PW-10 PSU or AA size rechargeable battery 1.2V x4=5V, don't use normal batteries with 1.2V x4=6V, it would be too high for safety and good sound performance)
  4. works as an external sound card with various formats of digital output and decoded headphone output. It effectively isolated the serious interference from within the PC/Mac case. e.g. the high frequency data signals, the switching-mode power supply and the FAN motors, etc...
  5. plug-and-play without driver installation for most PC/Mac operating systems, e.g. Windows OS, Linux OS and Mac OS. upgrades your PC/Mac to be a hi-end audio source. Thanks to the excellent power supply handling, the high accuracy clock and the sophisticated digital output circuit, the Trends UD-10.1 makes your PC/Mac to behave as a high-end CD transport to work with an external DAC. Yet, the Trends UD-10.1 and PC/Mac combination provides better sound quality, larger storage capacity and a more user-friendly interface than most standard CD players.

The funny thing is this costs $120 on sale on Amazon.. There is nothing on here that tells me it will sound any different than my Ele dac.

It is pretty much the same thing using the same chip..So $120 sound in a $18 Dac? Yup.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5,166 of 100,468
Quote:

I know this is a little off topic, but I've read in some reviews that these headphones sound emotionless. Is that true?

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,170 of 100,468
Quote:
I know this is a little off topic, but I've read in some reviews that these headphones sound emotionless. Is that true?

That is like saying your HA-S500 has no dynamics..Lol. I know there is a real mix bag of reviews on these. I look at it as 2 camps. The I have too many great sounding headphones that sound better than these MDR-1R camp. And the other camp that burns these in listens to them get lost in the lush deep mids and full sound on them. You guys think I would buy a headphone and post pics on here cus they are lifeless? Lol..That can't be farther from the truth..Many guys aren't used to a forward sounding headphone and that will catch a few off guard.. The same camp as the I have too many nice sounding headphones to care will also compare these to $500 plus cans and say these are lacking. Lol... Personally I love how these sound. They have a rich lush sound. I have been listening to them all day and I am happy to report after a good 80 hours of burn in. These are easily one of the best sounds for me. I think anything that has some bold characteristics in sound like forward mids and guys will be quick to judge. These are absolute opposite of lifeless. Music is deep rich, resolving. What else you want in a headphone.
Quote:
The MH1C has the worst cable I've ever come across. The stupid y-split is upside down!!! Worse than the 8320 - at least when I get those untangled they're good to go.

No doubt. Lol.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #5,173 of 100,468
Quote:

That is like saying your HA-S500 has no dynamics..Lol. I know there is a real mix bag of reviews on these. I look at it as 2 camps. The I have too many great sounding headphones that sound better than these MDR-1R camp. And the other camp that burns these in listens to them get lost in the lush deep mids and full sound on them. You guys think I would buy a headphone and post pics on here cus they are lifeless? Lol..That can't be farther from the truth..Many guys aren't used to a forward sounding headphone and that will catch a few off guard.. The same camp as the I have too many nice sounding headphones to care will also compare these to $500 plus cans and say these are lacking. Lol... Personally I love how these sound. They have a rich lush sound. I have been listening to them all day and I am happy to report after a good 80 hours of burn in. These are easily one of the best sounds for me. I think anything that has some bold characteristics in sound like forward mids and guys will be quick to judge. These are absolute opposite of lifeless. Music is deep rich, resolving. What else you want in a headphone.
No doubt. Lol.

Again, your words have wisdom have sealed the deal for me. When I have some money I'm going to get them. Thank you.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5,174 of 100,468
I know the MDR-1R thread is littered with people praising and then bashing..Either you love a lush forward sound or you don't. I was asked how these compare to the D2000. Lol. Completely different cans. I love me some mids and these cans have their mids front and center more than most and much more than the D2000. And considering most of your music comes from your mids. This throws vocals and instruments in a very intimate manor. Similar reason why my XB90s are keepers. Sony ain't messing around with their mids fellas.

I like me some musical intimacy.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #5,175 of 100,468
Quote:
I know the MDR-1R thread is littered with people praising and then bashing..Either you love a lush forward sound or you don't. I was asked how these compare to the D2000. Lol. Completely different cans. I love me some mids and these cans have their mids front and center more than most and much more than the D2000. And considering most of your music comes from your mids. This throws vocals and instruments in a very intimate manor. Similar reason why my XB90s are keepers. Sony ain't messing around with their mids fellas.

I like me some musical intimacy.

Makes me want them even more! xD I love music intimacy. These sound like my kind of headphones, hopefully they're good for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back