The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4,040 of 100,729
Quote:
quick question.
in terms of quantity. not quality.
is the subbass on the xb90ex greater than on the fx40?
and how much less the bass on the xba-3 compared to the fx40?

For sub bass it is like this.

XB90EX> +3db >FX40> +1db> XBA-3..   Sub bass on the XBA-3 is very similar to the FX40 surprisingly. Loosing just a little in the sub region to the FX40s.  The XB90. You will be swimming in grand textured sub bass! 

All 3 had different volume levels so I had to volume match the best I could but ya there is no question which one has the sub bass happening. Surprisingly the XBA-3 has some nice sub bass for being armatures..

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #4,041 of 100,729
Quote:
For sub bass it is like this.

XB90EX> +3db >FX40> +1db> XBA-3..   Sub bass on the XBA-3 is very similar to the FX40 surprisingly. Loosing just a little in the sub region to the FX40s.  The XB90. You will be swimming in grand textured sub bass! 

All 3 had different volume levels so I had to volume match the best I could but ya there is no question which one has the sub bass happening. Surprisingly the XBA-3 has some nice sub bass for being armatures..

well then.
If either the subbass on the xb90s turn out to be overkill for me or the mids are not as satisfying as I wish for a bassy iem, then you sir have just confirmed that I should go with the xba-3's next.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #4,042 of 100,729
Quote:
holy crap.
in that case. I am patiently looking forward to hearing them.
Hopefully they also present the mids much much better than the fx40s.

Don't know how much you have been burning your FX40s in but the mids pop out after about 200 hours of aggressive burn in. Just leave it playing loud whenever your not using them and they should eventually sound proper.

As for the XBA-3s. I recommend them to everyone..Yes they cost much more but you know what. These have one of the best most complete sounds I have heard for any earphone I have used..I was somewhat negative about trying out another BA based earphone. Something a bit stale about the sound..Not the Sony's..You get lost in so much detail and sound is so engaging. I absolutely love my XBA-3s to no end. I simply can't stop listening to these. Worth the price of admission for certain.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #4,044 of 100,729
well. as I typed that last response, my xb90s came.
First thing I noticed. I can immediately tell high quality files from low ones.
couldn't do that with the fx40s. they all sounded the same even though I knew they were different.
also. soundstage.

these two factors alone are make the purchase worth it.
but you are right. subbass heaven.
and mids are SURPRISING.

At the moment though, the highs seem disconnected from the overall music presentation.
I am pleased with them (no sibilance and a tiny little eensy weensy sparkle).
But it seems like there's a gap between the mids and the highs.
might be the upper mids. I don't know.

I'll see what happens over the next day/week.
Perhaps a tip change will help too.

AND unfortunately. I look like an alien wearing these xb90s.
I have small ears.

BTW. XBA-4 $100.
http://www.ecrater.com/p/15970592/sony-xba-4sl-closed-quad?gps=1

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,045 of 100,729
Well, I've been listening to the Brainwavz R1 today and I cannot find the right tip to make these work.  So far Sony hybrids are the only ones that work for me.  I can say that these are not balanced for sure.  There's plenty of bass but really good sub-bass region.  Mids and trebles don't take a hit at all.  The treble is actually quite lively but not sibilant.  It does have a nice and big soundstage.  They sound good but tips and getting a good fit is going to be a deal breaker for me I think.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #4,046 of 100,729
Quote:
couldn't do that with the fx40s. they all sounded the same even though I knew they were different.
also. soundstage.

and mids are SURPRISING.

At the moment though, the highs seem disconnected from the overall music presentation.

I have small ears.

BTW. XBA-4 $100.

Burn in brings out the highs much better than on open box and you might want to try out other tips too. Try out the tips that is on your FX40 on these. Much wider tips bring out a fuller rangier sound for these. Also brings out the highs a bit too. Burn in for certain.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #4,047 of 100,729
Quote:
also. soundstage.

and mids are SURPRISING.

I have small ears.

BTW. XBA-4 $100.

Sony's need two things to shine:
1 -  intense (high volume) burn-infor about two weeks, maybe even more. I'm still burning them in and this along the mental burn in really helps :)
2 - wider bore tips. meelec tips are the best in that regard and also comfort is quite good with them :) highs just become much more open and kinda sparklier...

as for looking like an alien - I bet everyone is the same with these huge shells :D 16mm drivers have there downsides too... :)

edit: Seems like dsnuts beat me to it :D also, 89$ for quad armature sonys? picture only shows xba 1 though....
another edit: yeah, I guess they are just 1 driver versions. looked through the prodect specs and it is named as xba 1 sl...

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #4,049 of 100,729
Quote:
Well, I've been listening to the Brainwavz R1 today and I cannot find the right tip to make these work.  So far Sony hybrids are the only ones that work for me.  I can say that these are not balanced for sure.  There's plenty of bass but really good sub-bass region.  Mids and trebles don't take a hit at all.  The treble is actually quite lively but not sibilant.  It does have a nice and big soundstage.  They sound good but tips and getting a good fit is going to be a deal breaker for me I think.

The housing seems kinda on a larger side.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,050 of 100,729
Quote:
The housing seems kinda on a larger side.

It's big but not overly so.  They are meant to be worn over ear I think.  I tried both and over ear seems to be best for me.  Still, I don't think these will last in my possession much longer.  Everything about them seems quality though for $35.  The case is absolutely fantastic.  Oh well, someone else can enjoy these.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back