The discovery thread!
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3,976 of 103,395
Quote:
Guys, any tips on where I can get a pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX?  Or a trusted vendor on Ebay or otherwise?

you can get them on ebay for 110 with he seller hkasiamall (or something like that :D ) I got from them and the packaging said that it was sent by Mr Jacky Chan and it costs 40$. very considerate of them - that way there is a little chance of havind troubles with customs fees and such...

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3,977 of 103,395
Okay head-fi fam, I've been busy this weekend trying to wrap up a couple of long reviews for you after getting a break finally from regular work, but I received my R1 today. It's been in my ears for about five minutes now. Before say I say anything about the sound, let me just say that this is most impressive packaging I have ever seen for $35. It looks as if the packaging is worth $35 on its own.

Okay, at only about 10 minutes now and out of the box, I have to say on the R1 - sound quality-wise - >>>>> FREAKIN' WOW! If you can get it for $35 or under, RUN AND DON'T walk!!! Not going to say much else right now on the sound until further listening, but I will say that the R1 sounds nothing like the M4 (which has a very thin sound to my ears). I, like Dsnuts, is a staunch believer of burn-in, so if the R1 is going to get better from here, well this is an excellent starting point! I'm listening with the stock double-flanges that were on the R1 when I took it out of the box. Must be a large or over-sized medium because the tips fit my ears perfectly. Isolation is wonderful.

And I think the build-quality is quite nice for the price (I actually think it's equal to the FAD Adagio III in build quality, maybe even a little bit better). Okay, that's it for now, but these are a winner to my ears. Happy listening. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,978 of 103,395
Oh, listening through last year's (or was it 2010?) iPod Nano 16gb. Listening to Steely Dan and highly enjoying the sound.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,980 of 103,395
Quote:
Okay, at only about 10 minutes now and out of the box, I have to say on the R1 - sound quality-wise - >>>>> FREAKIN' WOW! If you can get it for $35 or under, RUN AND DON'T walk!!!

Thanks Eric. I have the FXD70's on the way. Would the R1 be worth having as a complimentary sounding iem, or do you think they would largely be redundant? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3,981 of 103,395
Quote:

Thanks Eric. I have the FXD70's on the way. Would the R1 be worth having as a complimentary sounding iem, or do you think they would largely be redundant? Thanks.

The R1 sounds nothing like the D70. First, while not the bassiest earphone I've ever heard, the R1 are bass monsters compared to the D70. The D70 also has quite a bit more clarity, transparency and details than the R1 (not the is too bad, but needs much more burn-in before I can really assess its clarity. Right now it's nice on details and clarity). D70 has the more balanced and/or neutral sound.

Quote:
any comparison with the FXT90 and Audiofly?

More midbass in the FXT90 is about all I can say right now. Mids are very nice to my ears in both. I think the the R1 has a wider soundstage, but again I need extensive burn-in before I say much more. Listening to Sade now and very nice. Audiofly, I rather not say much yet for various reasons, but bass in the R1 seems to fall somewhere between the AF56 and the FAD III (with the FAD having the most bass).

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,983 of 103,395
Quote:
The R1 sounds nothing like the D70. First, while not the bassiest earphone I've ever heard, the R1 are bass monsters compared to the D70. The D70 also has quite a bit more clarity, transparency and details than the R1 (not the is too bad, but needs much more burn-in before I can really assess its clarity. Right now it's nice on details and clarity). D70 has the more balanced and/or neutral sound.

I was/am sitting on the payment page, ready to click on the paypal link, but was awaiting your reply. So, thanks for the prompt response!

My interpretation of what you are saying is that the D70's are simply better in most ways that probably matter to me. But, the R1's sound good for the price, and have a good dose of bass. Because the R1's are only $35 (for another short while), I could just get them for the heck of it, and hopefully enjoy their different sound now and then (or be pleasantly surprised and enjoy their sound quite often). Then again, do I really need to start collecting iem's? Time to flip a coin methinks!

Thanks again.

Edit: I just read the below which you responded to me with in the S400 thread:

Quote:
WAYNEENUMM buy it while it's at this price! Great great value in product and sound. More details to come, but with 20 minutes now I'm highly impressed!

Resistance was once again futile. DONE!

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3,984 of 103,395
Quote:

I was/am sitting on the payment page, ready to click on the paypal link, but was awaiting your reply. So, thanks for the prompt response!

My interpretation of what you are saying is that the D70's are simply better in most ways that probably matter to me. But, the R1's sound good for the price, and have a good dose of bass. Because the R1's are only $35 (for another short while), I could just get them for the heck of it, and hopefully enjoy their different sound now and then (or be pleasantly surprised and enjoy their sound quite often). Then again, do I really need to start collecting iem's? Time to flip a coin methinks!

Thanks again.

Edit: I just read the below which you responded to me with in the S400 thread:

Resistance was once again futile. DONE!

You summed it up in a nutshell buddy! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3,985 of 103,395
Well since today is the last day for the deal..Why not. Got in on it. I ran and didn't walk. I am reading from most that got them that the sound stage is nice n wide. That is awesome.

Believe it or not these would be my first brainwavz iem. Why not try a dual dynamic. Hope between these and the Adiago 3s will tide me over till the FXZ200s.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3,986 of 103,395
 To me whoever thought this sounds like the M4 either has a defective R1, or maybe I have a defective M4. The M4 sounds mighty thin sounding to my ears, whereas there's a meaty sound to the R1 (not as 3-Dish as the D80, but pointing in that direction). This really the dual-dynamnic I was hoping to hear with the DDM (clearer bass, very nice mids, and nice sparkly treble that's not too harsh or too recessed). I loved the DDM when it came out for its layered sound, but the bass was too muddy and the treble was too recessed. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3,987 of 103,395
Quote:
Well since today is the last day for the deal..Why not. Got in on it. I ran and didn't walk. I am reading from most that got them that the sound stage is nice n wide. That is awesome.

Believe it or not these would be my first brainwavz iem. Why not try a dual dynamic. Hope between these and the Adiago 3s will tide me over till the FXZ200s.

Well, if they don't do the job of tiding you over, I'm sure that your xba-3's will :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3,988 of 103,395
No doubt. It has been in my ears ever since I got them. It is tough to go from one of the most engaging sounds to an unrefined one.  Will throw in my XBA-3. I have been listening to my classic rock collection more and more because of these..Well recorded older stuff sounds so great it is like rediscovering classic rock for me which is just awesome

You youngins better recognize.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,989 of 103,395
Oct 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3,990 of 103,395
Can any xb90 owners chime in on whether the meelec tips have the tendency to get stuck in the ear? My shure tips sound great but the nozzle tip on the 90's is smaller so the rubber tips get stuck in my ear often. Might try the smaller comply tips instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back