The discovery thread!
Jun 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #32,206 of 103,675
  So I hate to be a Debbie downer but the Shozy Zero imo is not great. I feel they are good iems for the price but

I find it harder and harder to get engaged by them. The tuning is a safe one and they have all that is needed for a good sounding iem but for some reason they are kinda on the boring for me.

I have a review sample that I am going to do a review soon on but the longer I am using these the less I am enchanted with them.

I agree 100%.  The Zero, is not doing much for me either.  I also have a review sample.

I've been putting the Shozy Zero head-to-head with the SoundSoul S018.  The S018 IMO, is a lot more fun, dynamic and detailed than the Zero in my testing.  

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #32,207 of 103,675
I agree 100%.  The Zero, is not doing much for me either.  I also have a review sample.

I've been putting the Shozy Zero head-to-head with the SoundSoul S018.  The S018 IMO, is a lot more fun, dynamic and detailed than the Zero in my testing.  

A $13? Wowza. Glad I skipped Shozy and went TK Maple... Still have yet to read a comparison between Maple and Zero unfortunately

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #32,208 of 103,675
A $13? Wowza. Glad I skipped Shozy and went TK Maple... Still have yet to read a comparison between Maple and Zero unfortunately

I would love to try the Maple.  I am a huge fan of MusicMaker/ToneKing products.  I'm sure it is a killer wood IEM.  

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #32,209 of 103,675
I would love to try the Maple.  I am a huge fan of MusicMaker/ToneKing products.  I'm sure it is a killer wood IEM.  

Too bad you aren't in the US. I'd let you borrow it.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #32,211 of 103,675
I'm in the US, but no worries.  I am going to try to get my own Maple down the road.  

For some reason I thought you weren't? You sure? Shouldn't cost me more than a buck to ship

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #32,212 of 103,675
For some reason I thought you weren't? You sure? Shouldn't cost me more than a buck to ship

I'll PM you if I change my mind.  Thanks.  
cool.gif

Sorry all, back on topic!  Here are a few recent pics of some of my new gear.  

Advanced AcousticWerkes W300AR:

MusicMaker TW1:

NoSounD Red Hat:

--

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #32,213 of 103,675

Wow, although the Zero is not the most engaging iem I've heard (it lacks some energy for me) I'd rate it far above the S018 (which I consider one of my worst purchases ever).

Different strokes for different folks I'd guess :wink:

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #32,214 of 103,675
Wow, although the Zero is not the most engaging iem I've heard (it lacks some energy for me) I'd rate it far above the S018 (which I consider one of my worst purchases ever).

Different strokes for different folks I'd guess
wink.gif

Funny right?  Because I know there have been times I have totally been on the same page as you...  Then something like the S-018 comes up and we hear it totally different.

For me though, I have found IEM can be so temperamental and dependent on the perfect tip rolling.  I've thrown everything I had (tip wise) at the Shozy and nothing seems to help the signature.

However, with the S-018, I have found a few pairs that work perfectly.

--

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #32,215 of 103,675
Ds used the right term for the Shozy. It's "safe". It has a pleasing warm signature that I like, but it also isn't very exciting, nor does it draw you in. I've been playing around with eq since the QT5 mess, and the Shozy gets a bit better with a slight midrange bump. It still lacks the resolution that a nice BA in addition could provide.

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #32,216 of 103,675
I found that the wood housing was capable of giving bad resonance which smear up through to the low mids and could smear over detail. Right fit and tips made them quite a clear, capable, and detailed phone with surprisingly nice treble, good transparency, and a natural and peak free sound. Still, they went the same way as the Tenore(Zero perform above ref. Tenore level) for me and I stopped listening to them. I like my JVC much more as far as fun factor and enjoyment. Though my Elation is modded and FX55 recent rebuy and my FXT is also modded for a more crisp and livery sound. The Zero outperform all but the FXT but don't hold my ear as much as any of them. Pretty much sit in a drawer after the new toy syndrome subsided.

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #32,217 of 103,675
Funny right?  Because I know there have been times I have totally been on the same page as you...  Then something like the S-018 comes up and we hear it totally different.

For me though, I have found IEM can be so temperamental and dependent on the perfect tip rolling.  I've thrown everything I had (tip wise) at the Shozy and nothing seems to help the signature.

However, with the S-018, I have found a few pairs that work perfectly.

--

It is funny, and it's also what makes this hobby so interesting to me. Two people can agree on most things and the suddenly a item comes along that's totally diverting, just kind of to show that there's nothing that given when it comes to sound.

One of my biggest wow moments ever in this hobby was when I got the forbidden IEM's a month or so back. I could never in my wildest dreams imagine that I would so totally enjoy a iem with that kind of signature. It's really changed my preference in a way I haven't experienced since I first got the Havi B3 Pro 1 a long time ago. So it's not only that two people with a similar preference will sometimes disagree (or rather hear things differently) but I can' even be sure to agree with myself all the time lol.

Now that's what makes me addicted to try out the next and the next, because you never know what you're going to experience.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #32,218 of 103,675
I was listening to the Zero on my Pono last night and it is almost like they have a slight veil to the mid range. I think Jant might have hit the nail on the head of why it sounds like it does but I think what bugs me a bit also is the extensions on both ends are kinda weak. Sub bass is kinda not so defined and treble extension is kinda flat. I think this is where it reminds me a bit of the old HAS 400 portable. Very similar safe balanced tuning that didn't really excite. I am all for balanced sound but if a phone don't engage the listener it is somewhat of a fail. What is also a bit strange is I actually thought imagery was better on open listen than after I got them burned in. Strange. They don't sound all that spacious especially when compared to some of my other iems. 

They definitely sound a bit better with a brighter sounding source. My DX90 has better synergy using them but even then it is somewhat not too exciting. Shozy's first iem is not bad but this is one case where the sound simply does not actually live up to the hype. 

I think if guys are getting into the sound game and have not listened to too many good sounding earphones will probably go crazy over the Zero. However on the other token guys that have heard more than their share will be able to tell the shortcomings of the sound.  Shozy gave a good effort but lets be real fellas there is a reason why these are $60 new. For it's price these are certainly not bad. Just not great.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #32,219 of 103,675
  I was listening to the Zero on my Pono last night and it is almost like they have a slight veil to the mid range. I think Jant might have hit the nail on the head of why it sounds like it does but I think what bugs me a bit also is the extension on both ends are kinda weak. Sub bass is kinda not so defined and treble extension is kinda flat. I think this is where it reminds me a bit of the old HAS 400 portable. Very similar safe balanced tuning that didn't really excite. I am all for balanced sound but if a phone don't engage the listener it is somewhat of a fail. What is also a bit strange is I actually thought imagery was better on open listen than after I got them burned in. Strange. They don't sound all that spacious especially when compared to some of my other iems. 

They definitely sound a bit better with a brighter sounding source. My DX90 has better synergy using them but even then it is somewhat not too exciting. Shozy's first iem is not bad but this is one case where the sound simply does not actually live up to the hype. 

I measured it with the Veritas. What you're saying actually shows up on the graph (midrange slight dip, slow treble roll off). 

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #32,220 of 103,675
It is funny, and it's also what makes this hobby so interesting to me. Two people can agree on most things and the suddenly a item comes along that's totally diverting, just kind of to show that there's nothing that given when it comes to sound.

One of my biggest wow moments ever in this hobby was when I got the forbidden IEM's a month or so back. I could never in my wildest dreams imagine that I would so totally enjoy a iem with that kind of signature. It's really changed my preference in a way I haven't experienced since I first got the Havi B3 Pro 1 a long time ago. So it's not only that two people with a similar preference will sometimes disagree (or rather hear things differently) but I can' even be sure to agree with myself all the time lol.

Now that's what makes me addicted to try out the next and the next, because you never know what you're going to experience.

There it is... the very intriguing white forbidden elephant in the room! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back