The discovery thread!
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #25,427 of 104,180
This thread is just huge. The search feature doesn't stand a chance.

About a month or two ago (maybe longer) I saw a link from sfwalcer for Sony MH1 (or MH1C) for about $16.00 USD.

I had them in my eBay watch list but something tragic happened and it got deleted.

Does anyone know where I can find them still for that price? 

Edit: I found them. Google Fu paid off. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #25,428 of 104,180
So Ds, what do you consider the best iem's to get at this time in these two categories: (a) "less expensive but still sound great and are amazing bang for buck" and (b) "they are amazingly good no matter how much they cost".

No pressure, but the world may depend on your answers

I thought about this last night and to me the best sound for the money right now probably goes to the CKR9 but the best refined SQ goes to the IM03..If you can squeeze an extra $100 for the IM03 without the upgraded cable it is about on par with the CKR9 in sound but with the upgraded cable it is on equal footing to the primo 8, some might actually prefer the IM03 more.

The only real negative on the CKR9 is that they have their standard microphonic cable but not a big deal.. The CKR9 for the price is the best value out of the recent AT offerings. I still prefer the CKR10, FX850, IM03 more over the CKR9 but the CKR9 does not loose out on SQ to these.. Some might even like the CKR9 over these. They are an excellent earphone and probably the best sounding for the $220 or so payed for a pair.

Though last night my Doppios was telling me otherwise..I still can't get over how unbelievable they sounded first time I threw them on my ICAN. I couldn't stop listening to them.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #25,429 of 104,180
I would gladly, But I'm almost on the opposite side of the globe (Georgia(not the US state Georgia :D )). thanks for the offer though, highly appreciated :). I could still borrow them, but shipping back is so expensive, that I'd rather just buy it from you :D
thanks for the suggestion. now that I'm not "afraid" of BA sound any more (what was I thinking :rolleyes: ), I think I'll try getting my hands on some mid-fi single and/or dual BA iems. ATH IM02 seem like a really good variant, but their price is a little bit too much for me sadly...
Ah, yeah. Intl trades can be quite costly. :) I haven't used them in a while but I still love them enough to keep them, so a sale isn't in the near future. :D

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #25,432 of 104,180
  I am very surprised with both the Doppios and the Singolos every time I hear them..

If you haven't and are curious about BA sound go for a Singolo. It does its own signature solid enough for great purchase.Both are completely different which makes owning both a good thing. The Singolos might lack a little in treble extension a touch but it is a solid sound.  I am surprised more buys haven't jumped on the Singolos.. Both are easily worth the purchase..If you guys heard my Doppios on my ICAN.. 

ICAN with low gain using DX90 line out. This combo..Just threw on the Doppios and turned on the 3D stage and Bass boost. DAMN!. I gotta say it was as close to a spiritual experience I have gotten just by listening to a new discovery..Doppios when properly amped sound too great for words. Geek out and this amp is just so awesome..I am finding myself quickly becoming a fan of IFI audio. Lol.  

WOW,  great report back from the front! Yes and Yes.  Zero audio really nailed it with these brothers. and yes, owning both highly
recommended, different sound signatures, each a world of its own.  glad the ICAN is working out, have to hear that one one of these days.
the iUSB power supply with the Gemini twin headed cable also makes a difference with usb dacs such as dragonfly and GeekOut. makes
the background more black and the signal more robust.  Thanks for the report, DS.  
ps a question.  one person posted that the Singulos didn't have any carbon nano in them in the drivers . since i don't read Japanese i cant
tell anything from the japanese zero audio website.  any clues what makes these tick?

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #25,433 of 104,180

I thought about this last night and to me the best sound for the money right now probably goes to the CKR9 but the best refined SQ goes to the IM03..If you can squeeze an extra $100 for the IM03 without the upgraded cable it is about on par with the CKR9 in sound but with the upgraded cable it is on equal footing to the primo 8, some might actually prefer the IM03 more.

The only real negative on the CKR9 is that they have their standard microphonic cable but not a big deal.. The CKR9 for the price is the best value out of the recent AT offerings. I still prefer the CKR10, FX850, IM03 more over the CKR9 but the CKR9 does not loose out on SQ to these.. Some might even like the CKR9 over these. They are an excellent earphone and probably the best sounding for the $220 or so payed for a pair.

Though last night my Doppios was telling me otherwise..I still can't get over how unbelievable they sounded first time I threw them on my ICAN. I couldn't stop listening to them.

oh no, i hear a CKR9 in my future now....luckily the DOPPIOS don't mind, and the 850s are willing to share...

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #25,434 of 104,180
  WOW,  great report back from the front! Yes and Yes.  Zero audio really nailed it with these brothers. and yes, owning both highly
recommended, different sound signatures, each a world of its own.  glad the ICAN is working out, have to hear that one one of these days.
the iUSB power supply with the Gemini twin headed cable also makes a difference with usb dacs such as dragonfly and GeekOut. makes
the background more black and the signal more robust.  Thanks for the report, DS.  
ps a question.  one person posted that the Singulos didn't have any carbon nano in them in the drivers . since i don't read Japanese i cant
tell anything from the japanese zero audio website.  any clues what makes these tick?

Just a well tuned single BA..I have heard some of the FA haven earphones and the Singolos will hang with any of them imo. The carbon is used for the housing providing a strong yet light foundation for the BA to sit in..Imagine the Singolo sound balancing but one dedicated BA for the highs. One for the mids and one for the bass with roughly the same sound balancing and you get an IM03 with better clarity, imagery,  Separation and full bass. I was surprised to hear a familiar balancing from the Singolos yesterday..

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #25,435 of 104,180

Thanks Ds! Man, are there ever a lot of good options out there now!

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #25,436 of 104,180
Have had the JVC 850 for a while, have liked but not loved them. Was using decent sources...Fiio X3, alone or with ALO X3, or iPod touch, found it a bit "thick" sounding, not as open as I would like (the Sony H3 hybrid was much better in this regard). Changed source, iBasso DX90, better, not quite there for me. I recently got a UE900, comes with an airplane adapter that cuts back output, also good for high output headphone amps. Last piece of the puzzle, have a Ray Samuels HR-2 near my bed, great for full size phones, uneven for iems as you'd expect. Just plugged the woodies into my HR-2 through the attenuator,holy macaroni!! (had a very similar reaction to the Thinksound On1 before and after getting the Geek Out 1k,the On1 through the GO1K knocked me out in a way it hadn't before with lesser sources). The woodies became open, wide, slightly less lush instrumental timber, but more than rich enough. Seems to.me these really like an amp that grabs them by the kahankas and takes control. Synergy, synergy,synergy, makes such a difference.
Congrats on the acquisition, Drblue, enjoy...hope you're having a blast on birthday weekend!!!

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #25,437 of 104,180
Have had the JVC 850 for a while, have liked but not loved them. Was using decent sources...Fiio X3, alone or with ALO X3, or iPod touch, found it a bit "thick" sounding, not as open as I would like (the Sony H3 hybrid was much better in this regard). Changed source, iBasso DX90, better, not quite there for me. I recently got a UE900, comes with an airplane adapter that cuts back output, also good for high output headphone amps. Last piece of the puzzle, have a Ray Samuels HR-2 near my bed, great for full size phones, uneven for iems as you'd expect. Just plugged the woodies into my HR-2 through the attenuator,holy macaroni!! (had a very similar reaction to the Thinksound On1 before and after getting the Geek Out 1k,the On1 through the GO1K knocked me out in a way it hadn't before with lesser sources). The woodies became open, wide, slightly less lush instrumental timber, but more than rich enough. Seems to.me these really like an amp that grabs them by the kahankas and takes control. Synergy, synergy,synergy, makes such a difference.
Congrats on the acquisition, Drblue, enjoy...hope you're having a blast on birthday weekend!!!

yes, YES YES  SYNERGY SYERGY SYNERGY.  glad you figured out the right synergy for th uE900 and THINKSOUND on-1s.
and Ray Samuels amps are usually just wonderful.  the attentuator is a magic trick!

the tone of the JVC 850 makes up for any thickness. it is just right on....my brain likes it after it passes through my ears.

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #25,438 of 104,180

When you use that 100 ohm impedance adapter, do you notice reduction in sound quality?  I have been using it to drive my high sensitivity Doppios with high gain AP100 DAP.  Connected directly without adapter, you get a lot of background white noise, with that UE900 adapter - whisper quiet noise floor.  BUT, when I tried an experiment with Tenores, though they don't need impedance adapter I wanted to try it anyway, they are crystal clear directly from a source and through this adapter - the "airy" details are lost?

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #25,439 of 104,180
Haven't tried it on you many iems,SM64, Jvc, not even the UE yet, have it burning, I'll try more soon.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #25,440 of 104,180
Didn't feel it made the JVC worse, though...on the contrary,felt it opened them up, more detail, space. Still the luscious tonality of instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back