The discovery thread!
May 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #24,766 of 103,268
 I listened to the SHE9710 the last out of the 4 phones and I wasn't prepared for the smooth full and wonderful sound that came out of the SHE9710. I almost didn't put them in my ears as I was thinking they were going to be the same as the SHE9700.. It is a more refined version and the older SHE9700 was already an improvement over the SHE3580.

This discovery by the way was Danny Bais doing. He insisted I hear these. Damn. No kidding. Out of these 4 phones. These stand out.. The others may be more refined. Especially the Tenors but these just pop in sound. Out of my DX90 it was completely and utterly unexpected.

May 23, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #24,767 of 103,268
Huh!

May 23, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #24,768 of 103,268
SHE9710 VS SHE9700..

A/Bing these for the first time actually. And my initial thoughts of a better balanced presentation was correct..The treble is smoother with a touch less treble energy, which was actually needed here.. Better more balanced mid range over the SHE9700 which results in less peaky vocals for both male and female vocals. ..Mid bass  is lesser than the SHE9700.  Mid range is more cleaner as a result. These SHE9710 maintain the low subbass authority that the SHE phones are known for..Stage seems to be a bit more open sounding.   Both phones are using the spiral dot tips.

Amazing what a little sound tweek can do.

May 23, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #24,769 of 103,268
   I listened to the SHE9710 the last out of the 4 phones and I wasn't prepared for the smooth full and wonderful sound that came out of the SHE9710. I almost didn't put them in my ears as I was thinking they were going to be the same as the SHE9700.. It is a more refined version and the older SHE9700 was already an improvement over the SHE3580.

This discovery by the way was Danny Bais doing. He insisted I hear these. Damn. No kidding. Out of these 4 phones. These stand out.. The others may be more refined. Especially the Tenors but these just pop in sound. Out of my DX90 it was completely and utterly unexpected.

I agree on that.. the SHE9700 being an improvement over the SHE3580 which I as well personally noticed that a very long time ago.. If the SHE9710 is a further improvement, then its price/sound quality ratio is quite unique, as long as it didn't become a bass monster :) 

May 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #24,770 of 103,268
Been a long time Jupiterknight. Yes the last time we discovered the old SHE9700 you were around to enjoy them with me. Yes I can confirm the SHE9710s are an update to the SHE9700..These sound tweeks are minor but noticeable none the less.. 

You know I just realized I paid more for the damn tips I am using on these phones. Lol.

May 23, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #24,771 of 103,268

just make sure your getting the newer SHE9710 and not the older SHE9701 variants.. They look the same on pictures.

Throw in a pair of Tenors too. Gotta maximize that shipping and handling.

Update on Singolo and CKR5 arrival:

Tenso shipped the goods will arrive next week. Look forward to getting both.

May 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #24,772 of 103,268
On the subject of Philips comparison:

S2 vs TX2

Build:
The S2 is the most well build IEM I own. Everything from housing to cable and tips are top notch IMO.

You can easily see the price difference in the build between the two. That's not saying that TX2 feels particularly bad built its just that the housings are pretty much all plastic, the cable isn't as smooth as on S2 and the tips are really not impressive.

Sound:
Here it's quite a bit harder too notice the price difference

The signature on the S2 is open, airy and well balanced with a bass that I've never find boomy in any way. They can however sound close to harsh with some tracks.

The signature on the TX2 is full bodied, also well balanced and smooth.

The S2 have a bit better soundstage and micro details while the TX2 has more bass impact, and as already mentioned an overall fuller sound. Going back and forward between the two I felt more than once that the S2 actually sounded a bit thin. The mids on the S2 is also a bit more forward, probably due to the fact that they've got less midbass.

I don't think that the bass on the TX2 actually dig much deeper but it definitely hits harder. It's still well controlled but on some tracks it does feel a bit boomy to me. I'd compare it to the harshness sometimes present on the S2. None of these are deal breakers for me since it's not a big problem on either.

To sum it up:
Whilethe S2 is clearly a tier above in built and materials that's not the case in sound quality. If I new nothing about the two and someone sticked the in my ears I'd probably guess that they were different tunings in the same price bracket.

That's pretty impressive from the TX2 given the fact it's only $40 shipped!

This combined with DS impression on the SHE9710 shows that Phillips are on to something, just a shame that they don't make their products more easily available.

Edit: fixed some spelling

May 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #24,774 of 103,268

oh my!  i was able to order the she9713 (blue) from cd japan, will be here in 3 days, in time for my newly ordered DX90 (now available on amazon.us) to play it.  got to verify that all these sound impressions by DSnuts and Danny Bai
are true representations of the state of the art sq! (ha!)  now i sleep with a satisfied audio conscience!  i actually had DREAMS about this stuff last night......and woke up smiling...

May 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #24,775 of 103,268
@Pastapipo

No problem. I looked around for web shops in Europe carrying them but couldn't find any so ending up getting them from HK.

You might get lucky and find them in a physical store though.

May 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #24,776 of 103,268
So I have to take back what I stated I wouldn't do. Was able to get the Tenore for like $30 buck from Amazon.jpn, along with the CKR-9. I should see both early next week. I always believe in hearing for yourself; so I will finally see how the Tenore stacks up with the (to my ears) outstanding Doppio.  Still might go for the CKR-10 ... We'll see.

May 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #24,778 of 103,268
  So I have to take back what I stated I wouldn't do. Was able to get the Tenore for like $30 buck from Amazon.jpn, along with the CKR-9. I should see both early next week. I always believe in hearing for yourself; so I will finally see how the Tenore stacks up with the (to my ears) outstanding Doppio.  Still might go for the CKR-10 ... We'll see.

Hear. Believe. And prepare for the massive ericp10 IEM sell-off lol!

May 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #24,779 of 103,268
   Out of these 4 phones. These stand out.. The others may be more refined. Especially the Tenors but these just pop in sound. Out of my DX90 it was completely and utterly unexpected.

Do they stand out because they're 1/2 the price of Tenore and KC06, or do they also stand out because you also find them better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back