The discovery thread!
May 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #24,511 of 103,279
  Tip on the Narmoo S1s, with my NOS DAC and Vali as a preamp/Cambridge 12 as amp, they have an really excellent bass in them
IF you get them positioned rightly at the beginning of the ear camel.
too deep and the bass goes away, not enough in and the bass gets muddy...at the right point BAM the soundstage clarifies and
instruments have separation and the bass has clear impact., including sub bass such as synths, etc. a real treat  manuel tuning...
this is with stock tip...more explorations with them should be useful with different tips and sources...they continue to surprise me..

I just received mine today...they are pretty awesome so far.

May 15, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #24,512 of 103,279
Tip on the Narmoo S1s, with my NOS DAC and Vali as a preamp/Cambridge 12 as amp, they have an really excellent bass in them
IF you get them positioned rightly at the beginning of the ear camel.
too deep and the bass goes away, not enough in and the bass gets muddy...at the right point BAM the soundstage clarifies and
instruments have separation and the bass has clear impact., including sub bass such as synths, etc. a real treat  manuel tuning...
this is with stock tip...more explorations with them should be useful with different tips and sources...they continue to surprise me..

Cool-have mine on the burn in unit, take a listen in a bit (requires me taking of the GO1K/On1, not an easy task, I tell you).
These things are very revealing...these (and the Shure 1540, which fight their way into the rotation here and there...better soundstage and detail than the On1, but not as much fun!!!) let you hear amazing things. Was listening to Hi-Rez download Aretha Franklin's Greatest hits (HDTracks) with my daughter, home from college, and she noticed, then I did too, when Aretha was too close to the mike and overloading the signal! Not something you need to hear, maybe better if you don't, but the level of resolution is just outstanding!
You know, I think the Porta Pros are the best investment I've made in this hobby so far. Yes, I've got better headphones and they're fantastic, but audiophilia is a double-edged sword. Nice, lossless FLAC files? Oh hells yes, those higher-end headphones are just grand. But low-quality audio on online videos, for example, is just repugnant. The higher-end headphones become impractical. 

I have a friend who's sort of a producer-come-sound-engineer-hobbyist, has heard some of the best speakers out there, calls himself an audio snob. Told him about these Porta Pros - they're not the second coming of or anything, but just so appealing. In true audiophilia buzzkill style, he wasn't even remotely interested. Cheaper headphone with a coloured sound signature? "I want to hear the music as the artist/sound engineer intended it."  Yaaaawn. Alpha males of audiophilia? This chimp's got better things to do. 

Anyway. I know this is just nonsense babbletalk now. Point is, Porta Pros make me real happy. Everyone should have a pair as excellent beater 'phones.

Interesting about the audiophile friend's approach to the Porta Pros...I actually first heard of them through a recommendation in Stereophile, the bible of high end audio, and bought a pair many years ago based on the recommendation. I haven't been without a pair since (20+ years). They actually have a specific function for me-I'm a biker, like to take bicycle rides and find music helpful to get up those hills. The Porta Pros, aside from sounding good, imo, fit nicely under a bike helmet with the thin metal band, and allow the sound of traffic in, a big positive to me when cars are coming up behind me on thin mountain uphill roads, I know they are there and can bike accordingly. Haven't found another set of phones that can do all of the above as well.

From the 'Why the hell did I do that"" department...I bought HDTracks hi-rez download of this, beats the heck out of me why...(to make matters worse, bought the whole rediculous album, not just the track)

[COLOR=FF00AA]definitely in same league, at 1/3 less the price≥≥.  harmonica is particularly well done...
can't wait to hear burned in ATH sound however...some say the IM50s are better sounding than the IM70s at half the price....[/COLOR]

Have the IM70, so far haven't done anything for me, always have fit issues with this kind of iem shape, but think the sound sig isn't doing it for me...

From the "Why the hell did I do that" department, volume 2...another HDTrack album download in Hi-Rez that I have no clue what got into me at the moment...

May 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #24,513 of 103,279
Along with the TE-05, the JVC Spiral Dot tips are magical with the KEF M200, and the RE400. With the former, the M200's bass is tamed and placed more in balance with the mids and highs. The sound is amazingly quite spacious. The RE400's reference sound quality - just like the TE-05 - is pushed up a couple more notches with Spiral Dot tips. Clarity and transparency is just on another level, and the tips thickens the bass to satisfactory levels. Separation levels are also boosted, and the tips have given a new appreciation for the RE400. Bass is perfect really, and hitting very low when called upon. I'm listening through my Schiit Modi and Vali DAC/Amp combo.

One other thing, if you want to hear more highs out of your FX850 (bordering on too harsh but still not quite there), the super wide tips that come with the DN-1000 and DN-900 are an excellent choice. These tips also have a some sort of spiral design within the tubing. It increases the treble in the Woodie, and tames the bass a bit more. Not really a sound signature for me, but it didn't sound bad, and it is sure to please those who love highs the way I love bass and mids. It was on the border of being too harsh for me, but didn't quite make it. The way tips can drastically change the sound of earphones is simply amazing. Happy listening!

May 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #24,514 of 103,279
Excellent info @ericp10! And "JVC Spiral Dot tips are magical with the KEF M200"? Hmmm!

May 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #24,516 of 103,279
Them JVC tips are awesome. They are akin to getting new silver coated OFC cables as an upgrade for your phones. I threw them immediately on my new CKR10s I got today.

You guys know bout these things?

These new AT phones are exactly that. NEW. As in I have never heard AT do this type of sound before. I have to get used to this sound first before I do any impressions on them.. These are a new direction for AT.

May 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #24,517 of 103,279
Really need to get the kc06 gold and A ericp:yum::sweat_smile:

I may check it out mochill, but I just don't feel at the moment that I need another earphone. I am very content with what I own right now.

May 16, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #24,521 of 103,279
  Them JVC tips are awesome. They are akin to getting new silver coated OFC cables as an upgrade for your phones. I threw them immediately on my new CKR10s I got today.

You guys know bout these things?

These new AT phones are exactly that. NEW. As in I have never heard AT do this type of sound before. I have to get used to this sound first before I do any impressions on them.. These are a new direction for AT.

+1

I had a mixed impression when I first heard it, as did danny.

But dang is it awesome!

May 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #24,525 of 103,279
Interesting about the audiophile friend's approach to the Porta Pros...I actually first heard of them through a recommendation in Stereophile, the bible of high end audio, and bought a pair many years ago based on the recommendation. I haven't been without a pair since (20+ years). They actually have a specific function for me-I'm a biker, like to take bicycle rides and find music helpful to get up those hills. The Porta Pros, aside from sounding good, imo, fit nicely under a bike helmet with the thin metal band, and allow the sound of traffic in, a big positive to me when cars are coming up behind me on thin mountain uphill roads, I know they are there and can bike accordingly. Haven't found another set of phones that can do all of the above as well.

Well, it is the irony, really. Says he's not interested in cheap, colored headphones, has already "played that game" and wants one good pair of flat headphones rather than tons of cheap ones that don't give you the music as the "artist intended". That line's such a joke to me because, as far as I'm concerned, everything has an effect on audio, there is in fact no universally accepted reference and everything is subjective. It's all just snobbery to me, really. Like I say, beating of the chest by the audiophile apes trying to establish dominance. He's done the sound engineering courses and has heard the world's best speakers playing vinyl off of the best turntables, blahblahblah, so anything in my measley, non-audiophile sound engineer experience is pretty much invalidated.

It's pretty frustrating that he's the only person I know IRL with substantial interest in headphones, but he's also the last person I actually want to share that interest with because of his patronising attitude.

Anyway, back on topic. Really looking forward to my A Ostriches, but wonder if I'll get them before other people waiting on the June stock. And I still don't have my Geek - unsurprisingly I didn't hear back from LH on my shipping. I'll kick up a fuss if I get to a month from the last USPS update and no-show. When I see how people complain about their packages being a day late, I just have to shake my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back