The discovery thread!
May 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #24,407 of 102,981
May 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #24,409 of 102,981
HiFlight and Inks compared Tenore and FX850 and they both reach for Tenore more.  Mochill, did you order yet?  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I also have both the Tenore's and the JVC FX850. Without getting into a full review, I can make some general comments based on my listening and preferences:

Tenore: Very small, light and "forget-about-it" comfortable. FX850: Quite large and more difficult for me to get a good seal. Not as comfortable as Tenore.

Tenore: Soundstage seems appropriate to the venue and genre of the music. Good depth of imaging. FX850: Very large soundstage, less depth than Tenore. More in-your-face.

Tenore: Accuracy of timbre is just outstanding. Gives a great sense of realism. Needs fairly high volume to sound its best. FX850: Uber-detailed. Maybe more detail than one hears in a live performance. Sense of realism not as pronounced as Tenore.

Tenore: Rather low sensitivity, needs some horsepower behind it to sound its best. FX850: Very easily driven from nearly any source.

Cost: 8 prs. Tenore's = 1 pr. FX 850.

Overall, comparing the two seems to be somewhat like apples and oranges, as the phones are quite different and will likely fill different needs.

I find myself reaching for the Tenore's far more than for the 850's. As they say, YMMV!

Quote:
So far I agree with everything. I'll say stock I slightly prefer the Tenore due to tighter bass compared to the slight bloat of the JVCs. EQed, they are in similar levels

May 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #24,410 of 102,981
May 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #24,413 of 102,981
  HiFlight and Inks compared Tenore and FX850 and they both reach for Tenore more.  Mochill, did you order yet?  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I also have both the Tenore's and the JVC FX850. Without getting into a full review, I can make some general comments based on my listening and preferences:

Tenore: Very small, light and "forget-about-it" comfortable. FX850: Quite large and more difficult for me to get a good seal. Not as comfortable as Tenore.

Tenore: Soundstage seems appropriate to the venue and genre of the music. Good depth of imaging. FX850: Very large soundstage, less depth than Tenore. More in-your-face.

Tenore: Accuracy of timbre is just outstanding. Gives a great sense of realism. Needs fairly high volume to sound its best. FX850: Uber-detailed. Maybe more detail than one hears in a live performance. Sense of realism not as pronounced as Tenore.

Tenore: Rather low sensitivity, needs some horsepower behind it to sound its best. FX850: Very easily driven from nearly any source.

Cost: 8 prs. Tenore's = 1 pr. FX 850.

Overall, comparing the two seems to be somewhat like apples and oranges, as the phones are quite different and will likely fill different needs.

I find myself reaching for the Tenore's far more than for the 850's. As they say, YMMV!

Quote:
So far I agree with everything. I'll say stock I slightly prefer the Tenore due to tighter bass compared to the slight bloat of the JVCs. EQed, they are in similar levels

Well DannyBai owns the Tenore and he's never said they are equal, but you might reach for something more just base on sound signature preference. I know Inks and I are almost like oil and water when it comes to appreciating certain sigs. And if you're not get a good fit and seal with the FX850, then I think you're being able to hear all of its goodness. With that stated, people I trust here have said some very good things about the Tenore (while also letting me know it would be some steps back from the FX850 or Doppio).

May 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #24,414 of 102,981
With that stated, people I trust here have said some very good things about the Tenore (while also letting me know it would be some steps back from the FX850 or Doppio).

I'd disagree with that statement. I think the Tenore trumps both. It certainly has more bandwidth than the Doppio and I get why some would feel the fx850 is superior but I disagree with them. The Tenore is simply an outstanding performing iem in my book, both technically and musically, and gives up nothing to any of the iems I have owned or currently own.

May 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #24,415 of 102,981
Just received and plugged in:  new NAMOO S1 iem...out of the box very impressive
fast, great transients, and great tonal quality.  not a super lot of detail, but very musical
and fun.  Listening to new Brian Eno album with Karl Hypde  SOMEDAY WORLD,
VERY nice sound......now to the burn in bench 

May 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #24,416 of 102,981
Different ears and different gears and such. Synergy is a bitch sometimes as well. So, don't think anyone is wrong in their experiences. I just know that I coughed up the funds for a Tenore and I am finding it tough to justify the prices of some things now. Used to be cool with $400 for this or $300 for that. Not anymore though.  

May 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #24,417 of 102,981
We all got preferences in sound so the recent love for the Tenors are valid..I can completely understand why guys are jumping on board with the Tenors they do so many things right. I think it is great that guys are now finally discovering Zero Audios.. They deserve much more exposure and more Zero Audio fan fare the better.. I am a fan of everything they make actually. All of them sound great to my ears..

May 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #24,418 of 102,981
  Just received and plugged in:  new NAMOO S1 iem...out of the box very impressive
fast, great transients, and great tonal quality.  not a super lot of detail, but very musical
and fun.  Listening to new Brian Eno album with Karl Hypde  SOMEDAY WORLD,
VERY nice sound......now to the burn in bench 

Throw in the widest bore tips you got Dr blue. I am certain they will grow on you more and more as they age. Look forward to your impression on them..

Fellas these dual dynamics are excellent.. I would take them very seriously.

May 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #24,419 of 102,981
I'd disagree with that statement. I think the Tenore trumps both. It certainly has more bandwidth than the Doppio and I get why some would feel the fx850 is superior but I disagree with them. The Tenore is simply an outstanding performing iem in my book, both technically and musically, and gives up nothing to any of the iems I have owned or currently own.

How can you you disagree with the statement when it's others opinions that the other two sound better? Or is that your strong way of saying you prefer the Tenore (as I stated earlier people have their preferences)? Then again, you and some others have stated the bass is over-blown or bloated or unnatural. the bass is certainly strong brand new, but settles down significantly after a good burn-in. On the other hand my job requires me to hear a lot of live music. There are some performances where the bass is just as strong as what you hear in the FX850, and then there are some performances where the bass is mixed down to neutral or below neutral to my ears. It all depends on the facility the performance is being held in and what the musicians tell the engineers to do at the soundboard. So it always amazes me when some of our members say that certain earphones don't sound natural or live. Natural and live have different flavors, no?

May 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #24,420 of 102,981
  We all got preferences in sound so the recent love for the Tenors are valid..I can completely understand why guys are jumping on board with the Tenors they do so many things right. I think it is great that guys are now finally discovering Zero Audios.. They deserve much more exposure and more Zero Audio fan fare the better.. I am a fan of everything they make actually. All of them sound great to my ears..

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back