The discovery thread!
Apr 15, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #23,836 of 100,493
Really loving this Geek Out/HD650 combo...see, pot luck, didn't know a thing, could come and be junk, this one worked out. The opposite has happened too, expected gold, got crap. Not that the posts here are useless-you get trails to persue, opinions, some pretty reliable, descriptions of sound signatures. But in the end it is generally someone's opinion. If you expect a guarantee in advance that what someone loves will absolutely work for you, no such thing, imo.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #23,837 of 100,493
Have I said this Geek Out is amazing? God, 3AM, gotta go to sleep, don't seem to be able to take it off (to be fair, don't have other dongle amp/dacs to compare it to, maybe try to compare it to my living room preamp/headphone amp tomorrow or the next day, right now, can't stop smiling, gotta go to sleep..................)

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #23,838 of 100,493
Did I mention the Geek Out yet? just checking, really should go to bed...

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #23,840 of 100,493
Jeez......

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #23,841 of 100,493
One last Geeky thing to say...

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #23,842 of 100,493
Jeez......

Well I bought the 720 Geekout and judging by the latest email I got from Lilacs, I'll be luck if I can my hands on it before May. Needless to say I'm pretty miffed.

But at the same time, also excited to hear how well it's performing by you standards(having something to compare to is useful, but sound is what we're really after, isn't it?) :wink:

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #23,843 of 100,493
True, I don't have another USB/DA converter/headphone amp to compare it to (I think you can use the Fiio X3 that way with the most recent firmware upgrades,not sure though, haven't tried, I do use it line out to an external portable amp most of the time), but I'm no stranger to good sound/high end audio and the like...got good audiofool credentials, high end rig in the living room, many hours auditioning full size equipment. The headphone stuff is recent, but, with the Geek Out, it's not even, "man the soundstage is so wide" or, "listen to that sub-bass extention", though I can play all those games with it. It's more, "Wow, that sounds FABULOUS, can't sit still, I LOVE this song...", etc. The EXPERIENCE of listening to the music makes me not WANT to analyze what it's doing right, who cares?
Hey, May is only a month away, or less, I don't know how many months ago I ordered, maybe 4,5 or more, worth it, can't believe how good this thing sounds!!!
If you've read some of my posts here, you know I'm generally a bit reserved in my praise for things. I'll point something out that I like, say some good things, maybe some offsetting negatives...not an audio-floozy, don't throw myself at every new chrome, DAP, or Balanced Armature that throws itself at me, y'know! I generally don't like to sit at my computer to listen, like the portable gear better, carry it, got to bed, walk the dog, etc. I can see being stuck here a bit at my desktop, though. The music has that "grab you by the kazatzkas" factor. I can't even listen to my high rez stuff...I upgraded JRiver from 18 to 19, somehow all my HDTracks downloads disappeared in the process (the external speaker seems to have stopped playing from internet sources, though it does play from JRiver or iTunes). I have them on the X3, so I should be able to drag them back to the computer when I get a chance. Still, ripped CD's, still plugged in with Senn 650 (try some other headphones sooner or later, don't want to mess now), and, HEAVEN!!! (and I've always been mixed on the Senns, open wide, but I always heard the "haze" others described, sometimes impact not quite there. They were just waiting for some Geekifying). Haven't tried the Awsemfier or whatever they call it either yet, maybe later...

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #23,844 of 100,493
  I wouldn't say I'm picky at all, just rather not sink money into IEMs then end up selling them at a loss because they don't fit comfortably or have other issues.

I agree; I've bought so many and sold at a loss.  Only a few have I sold at a gain.

It's hard to know what IEM you'll like without trying it.  I've tried many IEMs which I thought I'd like better than the Tenore, based on people's descriptions, but in the end I preferred Tenore.  Of everything I've bought, only the M200 competes.

I am interested in buying KC06, Havi B3, Doppio, TE-05, DN-1000, ATH-IM50, ATH-IM70 but I still don't know for sure whether I would prefer them over Tenore nor M200.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #23,845 of 100,493

I've actually got a pair of the Pistons but I don't like them all that much, gave them to my brother. I just want something with similar levels of bass but improvements elsewhere if that's even possible. Got to admit though I love my Carbo Bassos for the comfort; they fit really nicely in my ears, I can wear them straight down and they're not heavy whatsoever.

Pistons have the same level of bass as Basso, right?  What didn't you like about the Piston?

I don't think KC06 will have as much bass as the Basso.  I think drblue said Singolo has bass level between the Basso and Tenore.

Maybe try ATH-IM50 or ATH-IM70?  I've read that ATH-IM50 has more bass than ATH-IM70.  Or if you want to spend more, Dunu DN-1000.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #23,846 of 100,493
See, and I had a really hard time with the M200, couldn't get it to fit worth a damn, felt mine had channel imbalance, lots of people love these, so go figure, everyone is different. I get along much better with the DN-1000, really nice sounding and fit works for me, and the Doppio is in heavy rotation right now, sound and fit are working for me as well. (Liked, but didn't love the Tenore, still have it, found it a bit less full bodied for instrument sounds than I like, but I haven't used them for a long time, should compare them and the Doppios one of these days, time is tight, of course).

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #23,847 of 100,493
  I agree; I've bought so many and sold at a loss.  Only a few have I sold at a gain.

It's hard to know what IEM you'll like without trying it.  I've tried many IEMs which I thought I'd like better than the Tenore, based on people's descriptions, but in the end I preferred Tenore.  Of everything I've bought, only the M200 competes.

I am interested in buying KC06, Havi B3, Doppio, TE-05, DN-1000, ATH-IM50, ATH-IM70 but I still don't know for sure whether I would prefer them over Tenore nor M200.

Pistons have the same level of bass as Basso, right?  What didn't you like about the Piston?

I don't think KC06 will have as much bass as the Basso.  I think drblue said Singolo has bass level between the Basso and Tenore.

Maybe try ATH-IM50 or ATH-IM70?  I've read that ATH-IM50 has more bass than ATH-IM70.  Or if you want to spend more, Dunu DN-1000.

It's not that I'm stupidly picky; all I want is a pair that can be worn straight down i.e. don't have to be worn over the ear otherwise they end up being heavy after a while / don't fit properly. Regarding the Pistons, I just didn't like the way they felt in the ear; the nozzle seems quite small, giving them a fairly shallow fit, which just felt strange to me. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #23,848 of 100,493

It's not that I'm stupidly picky; all I want is a pair that can be worn straight down i.e. don't have to be worn over the ear otherwise they end up being heavy after a while / don't fit properly. Regarding the Pistons, I just didn't like the way they felt in the ear; the nozzle seems quite small, giving them a fairly shallow fit, which just felt strange to me. 

Isn't the nozzle on the piston bigger than the basso?  Did you try your Basso tips on the Piston?

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #23,850 of 100,493
The nozzle on the Piston's is wide and short and does indeed give a shallow fit. I find them awkward to wear while moving around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back