The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #20,823 of 100,464
I always have difficulty getting the bass right with the Mikros 90... Getting the positioning right to hear bass as I think it should sound is problematic. Maybe it's an issue of head size /shape. I find these are as sensitive to little shifts as some iems

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #20,824 of 100,464
Here's a collection of impressions from another person who actually got the Havi Pro B3, and can't post here:

"I got my Havi B3, and they are indeed the pro version. The sound is very balanced, with just the right amount of bass. Love the mids. very upfront and clear. If you can let the fellas in the discovery page know that the version I got in ugomark was the Pro version. great even before burn in. Thanks for the heads up. I kept my Piston, now i have the Havi, and I sold all the rest of my IEMs. Might still pick something up like the ROCKETS or the Fostex, but not sure. Anyways, I got the Pro version, and it's a really good dual dynamic.

what jumped out at my at first listen is the spacious soundstage and the airiness between instruments like the RE-400/ZERO. It's a very transparent dual dynamic. The mids aren't lush like the M200, but that's ok for me, because the mids are still well represented, and not as claustrophobic as the M200's mids are. I'd qualify the Havi B3 Pro as sounding very similar to the HiFiMan RE-ZERO, but with better bass weight, speed, and almost identical treble response to the RE-400, with that same type of transparency/airyness. It's definitely a keeper and ends my search at the moment for a great all-arounder every day dual dynamic.

i'm hoping with burn in the bass gets a bit more refined. It's definitely balanced, and hence bass light, and though it still has bass that's better than the RE, it's still doesn't have much sub bass depth or impact. It's an articulate bass, but not refined or deep reaching. It's linear. 

these have had about 12 hours of burn in, and they definitely are equals to the KEF M200. There is nothing the M200 can do, that the Havi B3 Pro can't do. With burn in, the mids have really grown and flourished. Much more lush than right out of the box. The sound has opened up so much, that the soundstage and imaging, transparency and spacing are equal or superior to the M200. Bass is perfectly articulate and present without bloat, boom, or bleed. The highs are what really have come forward with burn in. This is where they sneak past the M200 IMHO. The treble is sharp, clear, deliberate, with just the right amount of separation, decay, sustain, and timbre. It's not too extended as to become sparkly or sibilant, but controlled and natural. The BEST $50.00 I've ever spent on a pair of IEMs ever. They make the Xiaomi Piston sound clautrophobic, quiet, and two dimensional. This from a huge fan of the Piston!! But the truth is the truth. They are a league above the Piston. They sit in the same league as the M200. WOW dude. I don't know why they killed this amazing sound with the other versions?? "

Until we can figure out how to 100% order the pro version without getting stuck with the other versions, I would not recommend purchasing one yet.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #20,825 of 100,464
So now that I'm in love with my H3, AS-2, and like a lot some mid-fi like the Dunu DN-1000 and DN-900 (hope to get full review on the latter done when I get back in town), I'm thinking about selling my beloved Cardas. Why? Because the H3 and AS-2 are covering all the bases (for the most part) that I love about the Cardas, and I'm interested in going to a very high-end headphone now (I won't say which one just yet). I'm still debating this in my head though, because I really love the Cardas (sound, build, everything). We'll see. I have to many earphones and headphones now. Time to narrow down to a precious few. Might sell the Pistons and MHC1 too in some type of package deal.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #20,826 of 100,464
[COLOR=222222]Until we can figure out how to 100% order the pro version without getting stuck with the other versions, I would not recommend purchasing one yet.[/COLOR]

I really hope that we do find out how to get the pro version since I love the build and fit of the B3's, they're one of my most comfortable IEM's. My version just don't sound good enough.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #20,828 of 100,464
I always have difficulty getting the bass right with the Mikros 90... Getting the positioning right to hear bass as I think it should sound is problematic. Maybe it's an issue of head size /shape. I find these are as sensitive to little shifts as some iems

I can't believe that you don't believe that the 90's are not the 2nd coming lol!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/705#post_10223228

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #20,830 of 100,464
  COMPARISON TIME!

A900x vs ES700s vs RE700s vs WS99s

First test song: NORAH JONES - Sunrise

A900x - We begin with the bass intro, the strings that you hear being pulled is done well here, the quality is there, the quantity is just the right amount as it doesn't bleed into the instruments, but quantity is good enough to satisfy a balancephile(not basshead). It is a bit recessed in comparison to the instruments, but only behind by two decibels. Once Norah sings, I am immediately struck by how sharp and clear the vocals were. It sounded pretty good, and I hear no veil with her voices either to be honest, as other headfiers stated. Now, when the male background singers come in, I do hear a bit of a veil, but I believe it applies to males in the songs I listen to. 

The vocals sound rough though, sometimes I wish it was a bit smoother as it does make her voice sound rougher than it should be (unless it was intentional, but these headphones do it a bit to the extreme). Instruments sound thin, as did the bass unfortunately...
The guitars sounded pretty crunchy on these headphones, though I have to say that the thinness of the sound took the fun out of it.
Piano sounded good in tone, but lacks the thickness and bass strength to provide me a more satisfying DUN! experience. 
I could still hear instruments even if they're playing lightly, as well as the other headphones. 

But it was a great sound to hear from these beauts.

Imaging is fantastic, the instrument placement, vocals, background singers, etc, were placed where I hoped they'd be. Norah center, singers behind her, instruments on the right and left (guitars and piano).

ES700- The bass intro here is different, it's a bit tighter, more bodied (surprise there), and a bit more in quantity, but still recessed by 2 decibels again. Strings, again, can be heard being pulled, but a bit better, and with more vigor. The instruments take a bit more priority here, especially when the vocals come in, that's when the bass sounds a bit behind. The vocals take front center with these headphones by the same amount of decibels as instruments. The difference? Everything sounds thicker, more natural, and easier for the ears as norah doesn't sound as rough as the a900x. Yet, the a900x and these headphones share one thing in common. They both sound grainy with vocals, and that takes away my blissful adventure to the music world because of that. While guitars don’t sound as crunchy as the a900x (and the other headphones after these two), these do them justice as it does give it a good amount of thickness and just -1 db of clarity is taken away. Piano sounded a bit more realistic, in the sense that I could hear the weight of the piano keys, unlike the a900x’s. The clarity of the piano is pretty good on the es700s (not like the a900x, but those made it sound thin and weak, but not hollow).

Despite that, the vocals were better and more enticing than the a900x. How? Well, not only was it thicker, males weren't veiled, the vocals sounded similarly clear to the a900x's, sounding less grainy and harsh, but most important of all, the voices are smoother and more captivating. There is some magic on the mids here...it's a sweet smooth, and closer to the audiophile. It sounds “airier”, more emotional, and euphonic...

The reason I put quotations on airier is due to the boxed in effect I hear on these es700s. No, it’s not actually boxed in, it’s airy to satisfy every user. When you hear the a900x’s though, they do sound more open and less constricted, it’s as if norah was outside, not inside a studio singing.

Imaging is great, I could almost tell that the instruments and vocals, as well as the bass, was placed correctly.

WS99- Just like I said on the last sentence of the re700's, these also have a different SQ. The bass is more conservative, but a bit richer than the rest. It does sound pretty tight, but I think even then, the re700s best it, at least by half a step. The quality and texture is equal on both, and the impact is a bit better on the ws99s, but the re700's are pretty close, no joke here.

The mids on these are pretty surprising. I didn't expect a bassophone to have good vocals, these sound splendid in the way the bass presents the rest of the spectrum. It has big and bold sound, thicker sounding than all of my headphones, the instruments sound thick enough to my enjoyment, still good clarity, and the vocals sound just as smooth as the re700s, no grain heard like the es700s and a900x's.
The vocals still can't beat the rest of the headphone lineup. These are a step below the es700s, two steps below in a900x, and three steps behind the re700s in terms of airiness, open space. It does sound similar to the es700s, but the es700s have that magic that make it sound airier than the ws99s...

Imaging is decent.

YET!
DUN DUN

RE700- BAM! The bass is even tighter, a bit thicker, and most important of all, more in quantity! THIS HEAPDHONE NAILS BASS LIKE NO OTHER! The bass is almost inline with the instruments and vocals, I'd say it's at least -.5 db behind, or 0, as I don't hear the disparity between the whole frequency. This has better texture than the other headphones, as the es700s did pretty good with keeping up with the different tones of the bass, as did the a900xs, but this headphone plays it mad as not only the impact of the bass is evident compared to the other two, the strings are easier to feel, tones are richer and more lifelike, realistic. I can't stress this enough, this sounds like a reference monitor when it comes to bass...

The mids however, ...oh wait, they're ok. ...great.. 

PSYCHE! They are amazing, god like, heavenly, FAD should make friends with audio technica and zero audio and make the best IEM that can sound this good. The vocals here are similar to the es700s in terms of quantity. It actually is the same to be honest, I thought it was behind the es700s, but hearing them again, makes me believe that they are just as forward as the es700s, but so are the highs and lows. This is THE balanced headphone, the ws99s that should have been.. After constant A/Bing, they are similar in mid quantity, maybe the re700’s are at least -.5 to -1 decibel lower in the mids than the es700s. Not that much of a difference.

The vocals sound airier than the es700s, making the es700s sound a bit boxed in, and sound similar to the a900x's airy levels. The difference is that it loses that extra sharpness that I hear from the a900x, which can sound like grain, has a more euphonic sound over the a900x's, sound more emotional and just half a step airier and more realistic, and the vocals sound lifelike, real, right there in front of you that you thought she was singing only for you. :) These also are thicker sounding than the a900x's, which is surprising to say the least...not to mention the tonal balance. These do songs justice as I can individually pick the different pitches and tones of instruments and singers, no joke on that. The background singers are also placed more accurately with norah than the other two headphones I mentioned. Imaging is phenomenal on these headphones, just brilliant. The es700s is two steps behind these headphones, and the a900x is one step behind it. I need more time to compare the soundstage and imaging though, but the differences in SQ are obvious.

Will do another comparo tomorrow morning. I'll use two more songs and that's as far as I go. It'll be more articulate and shorter.

Overall Clarity + Detail

A900x>=Re700>>Es700>=WS99

Bass impact, quality, and quantity ranking

Re700>Ws99>Es700>A900x

Based on comparisons on two headphones, the bass impact, quality, punch, goes to..
Re700>>>>A900x
WS99>>>A900x
ES700>>A900x

The treble will be next tomorrow. But knowing the multiple A/Bing from three days ago.

Treble detail + Thick

Re700>>ES700>>WS99>A900x

Analytical goes to

A900x 

Smooth sounding overall, while having the details to back it up and open space

RE700x

Great mids, a bit more enclosed, and is mid-centric

ES700s

Great thick bass, Big bold sound

WS99

While I say that the re700s beat them all in the whole frequency range. There is one thing people have to be aware of

The vocals for the most part, sound great.

No silibance in SSSS, CHHHH, FFFF, etc

BUT, there will be some recordings that will exhibit this silibance, but mostly in small amounts and usually in random places. Sometimes when I hear the singers stress their SSSS, I don't hear any silibance, but then some areas I do...

Either my headphone is whack, or something else is happening.

EDIT: AIRINESS AND SPACE GOES TO

A900x>=Re700>>>Es700>WS99

Great comparison vlenbo! Your write-up made me spontaneously want to both get the RE700's and sell my WS99's lol. My 99's don't get as much listening time as they should, so due to you writeup I just threw them on, hoping that doing so would make it easy for me to put them on the selling block. It backfired though, because I just got lost in their sonic goodness (which does tend to happen whenever I put them on) and now I don't want to take them off. So I realize once again that it would be hard for me to part with them!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Sf and you getting the Mikros 90's. Gotta see how much pataburd's and mochill's super-nova-hype is warranted. And more importantly, I'm looking forward to your comparisons of the 90's with the RE700's.

Keep up the good work!

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #20,832 of 100,464
^ I hope you have some salt to go along with that popcorn mochill! :)
(inside joke)

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #20,835 of 100,464

Great comparison vlenbo! Your write-up made me spontaneously want to both get the RE700's and sell my WS99's lol. My 99's don't get as much listening time as they should, so due to you writeup I just threw them on, hoping that doing so would make it easy for me to put them on the selling block. It backfired though, because I just got lost in their sonic goodness (which does tend to happen whenever I put them on) and now I don't want to take them off. So I realize once again that it would be hard for me to part with them!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Sf and you getting the Mikros 90's. Gotta see how much pataburd's and mochill's super-nova-hype is warranted. And more importantly, I'm looking forward to your comparisons of the 90's with the RE700's.

Keep up the good work!

If the martins were to stay at $300, the people would want to pick up the re700s.

The martins and re700s are similar to each others signature. They're both clear, detailed, but they are somewhat different.

The martins are a touch clearer than the re700s.

The highs are pretty detailed, have a nice texture like the re700s. The ones on the re700s are more engaging and detailed, and also more lifelike. The highs are similar though, but I give the one up to the re700s.

I'll compare it with more details, right now these are my impressions.

The mids have a good detail...similar to the re700s. I feel, though, that the re700's mids were better as they sounded clearer in some ways. I can't put my finger on it just yet.

The low quantity of the re700s beat the martins by a good amount.

The quality are similar to each other, but the quantity and quality of the re700s beat the quantity and the quality of the martins.

the re700's have 2 more dbs of bass quantity, yet still keep the same quantity of the martins, and have more thickness to them.

Martins are definitely worth their $100. As the re700s are worth their $150. Surprisingly, the re700s surprised me out of box, the martins did as well, but not to the effect as the re700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back