The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #19,757 of 103,297
Anyone else find FLAC files a bit brighter and maybe a tad harsher sounding than 320 mp3's with the Piston?

No, considering ALAC files are FLACs for Apple devices. There isn't any difference from what I could hear.

Can't see why that would be, at least the harsher part, never had that experience, generally the opposite (mp3's sounding worse than FLAC or ALAC)...though some do say they hear WAV files sounding better than FLAC, haven't noted that either, shouldn't be, but, hey, CD quality digital was supposed to be "perfect sound forever", so who knows, lots of hype/misinformation floats around

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #19,759 of 103,297
Anyone else find FLAC files a bit brighter and maybe a tad harsher sounding than 320 mp3's with the Piston?

surely you are hearing things  
L3000.gif

sorry... couldn't help it

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #19,761 of 103,297
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #19,764 of 103,297
So I ordered the new design Pistons from Ebay (inshoes).
Anybody ordered from him?
Are they real or fake ones?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-design-Xiaomi-PISTON-Earphones-pink-ROSE-GOLD-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-/141157769953

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #19,766 of 103,297
I just got my Pistons..Very nice sounding.. The quality of this package is unheard of for the price. But not all that practical as there is no way I am gonna rewind these back on the holder.. I have been listening to my Doppios this morning and I just found my Pistons. On open box these beat so many in ears at 4X this cost..These have a very easy flowing tonality to them which I like a lot. Great find guys..

If I was to nit pick the stage is limited width wise on the sound, it has plenty of depth and thickness to the sound but needs a bit more width for these to really show off. I hope these guys continue to create more of these with more refinements and stuff from this company will be truly exciting. As I am hearing them now they sound more in the head than out of it a touch crowded sounding but not bad in any way..But for what it is these are a complete surprise and a fantastic buy..Definitely a new bench mark for Budget fi. Very close to mid fi sound for peanuts. Now that is a discovery..

I would say even for vets of the in ear game. Yes these are worth picking up for certain. If you want to hear how far your $20 will get you in SQ check these out with no hesitation..These will definitely surprise you..

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #19,767 of 103,297
  I just got my Pistons..Very nice sounding.. The quality of this package is unheard of for the price. But not all that practical as there is no way I am gonna rewind these back on the holder.. I have been listening to my Doppios this morning and I just found my Pistons. On open box these beat so many in ears at 4X this cost..These have a very easy flowing tonality to them which I like a lot. Great find guys..

If I was to nit pick the stage is limited width wise on the sound, it has plenty of depth and thickness to the sound but needs a bit more width for these to really show off. I hope these guys continue to create more of these with more refinements and stuff from this company will be truly exciting. As I am hearing them now they sound more in the head than out of it a touch crowded sounding but not bad in any way..But for what it is these are a complete surprise and a fantastic buy..Definitely a new bench mark for Budget fi. Very close to mid fi sound for peanuts. Now that is a discovery..

Thank beatsguy and bhazard for that, 
tongue.gif

then the rest of the headfiers, IEMmagnet, eric, Maxiao, dr.blue, and others who valiantly purchased these pistons.

So does this mean it's better than the S2 as well?

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #19,768 of 103,297
  I just got my Pistons..Very nice sounding.. The quality of this package is unheard of for the price. But not all that practical as there is no way I am gonna rewind these back on the holder.. I have been listening to my Doppios this morning and I just found my Pistons. On open box these beat so many in ears at 4X this cost..The se have a very easy flowing tonality to them which I like a lot. Great find guys..

I would say even for vets of the in ear game. Yes these are worth picking up for certain. If you want to hear how far your $20 will get you in SQ check these out with no hesitation..These will definitely surprise you..

glad you are enjoying the Pistons DS!  wait till they burn in for about 60 hours or more, they become exponentially smoother, soundstage opens up, congestion way less, tone improves and rhythm and pacing improves.  i find myself reaching for them even when i have far more expensive oems right on the same table. i ordered two more for back up and gifts.  also benefit from better tips, e.g.comply400 and better tf10 silicon medium for my ears.  tone on guitar music music and vocals simply silky.....

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #19,769 of 103,297
Someone else actually found out about the newer version of the Piston, but I forget who. We just took the leap of faith.

The Pistons only get better over time and with a tip change. Stock tips are too boomy. If you get tips that tame the bass a bit, or use a tube that does and extends the mids slightly, it is glorious.

Same thing with those Micro-Rings SF, change the tips to tame the bass and they start sounding like $30-50 sets. Piston is still overall much better. Moxpad is good, yet also gets beat by the Piston pretty handily.

I agree, budget-fi benchmark all the way.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #19,770 of 103,297
  Thank beatsguy and bhazard for that, 
tongue.gif

then the rest of the headfiers, IEMmagnet, eric, Maxiao, dr.blue, and others who valiantly purchased these pistons.

So does this mean it's better than the S2 as well?

well maybe not "better" than the S2 but more fun perhaps!  S2 more analytical and can be used to her what your sources are putting out and scale up
with amping etc, more revealing  but Pistons more exciting and interesting as you amp them and scale up, not nec. more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back