The discovery thread!
Jan 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #19,561 of 100,730
I mean, fair enough, he might like different IEMs on different days, but it's going to get to a point where someone new will come in and will end up buying something inferior to something else because someone thought it was the best IEM ever one day and subpar the next.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #19,562 of 100,730
Which headphones are you talking about ordering? Looked at Bigbargainonline, thinking it was the Sony, they don't carry that. (see the Dunu and Astrotec that have been mentioned elsewhere)

he's talking about the golden crystals

Say NO to HiSound!!!!!

Random music post for today...

Something good Canada gave us...
(in an audio context, nice track for detail freaks, can evaluate your cans for separation of details, lots of texture shifts, rocks)

And some jazz from one of the most interesting current musicians/composers...

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #19,563 of 100,730
Impressions like that you can't trust... rather wait for respected reviewers to fairly pass judgement on an earphone rather than have somebody fluctuate between praising an iem and then dismissing it next

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #19,564 of 100,730
  Impressions like that you can't trust... rather wait for respected reviewers to fairly pass judgement on an earphone rather than have somebody fluctuate between praising an iem and then dismissing it next

DEUTER (master new age musician with many gold records) has a beautiful album that answers all these questions: SILENCE IS THE ANSWER!
and you should all know a term from the old psychophysiology of sound from 19th century science of Fetchner (who talked to plants and they answered)
VEXIOVERSUCHEN:  the ghost stimulus....i.e.humans hallucinate about 50% of what they perceive, especially sound.  so many folks are listening to
themselves, not the actual sound stimulus...just sayin....

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #19,565 of 100,730

^ Bravo Bravo, that deserves a clap.....
nuff said.
wink.gif

Da' guru works in mysterious ways. : P

Oh Oh headphone fleas.
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #19,567 of 100,730
  all this is jolly good, but it doesn't help me choose the right iem when I'm on a tight budget and can't spend ****loads of money on different ones...

Piston 2.0 will go a long way for you on what is a pittance. I'm using DUNU DNK, but those are $200.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #19,569 of 100,730
I have xb90ex and doubt the pistons will be an upgrade.... thanks for the suggestion though :)

Give people something to work with. Sound preference? (Bassy I guess?) price range?

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #19,570 of 100,730

DEUTER (master new age musician with many gold records) has a beautiful album that answers all these questions: SILENCE IS THE ANSWER!
and you should all know a term from the old psychophysiology of sound from 19th century science of Fetchner (who talked to plants and they answered)
VEXIOVERSUCHEN:  the ghost stimulus....i.e.humans hallucinate about 50% of what they perceive, especially sound.  so many folks are listening to
themselves, not the actual sound stimulus...just sayin....

1+

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #19,571 of 100,730
  I have xb90ex and doubt the pistons will be an upgrade.... thanks for the suggestion though :)

they are MUCH BETTER than those Sony's. But if you're happy with the Sony's, then awesome! I'm happy with my Sony mp3 players over most others.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #19,572 of 100,730
It's an unfortunate fact of life...no one else will hear/perceive things exactly as you do. Forget quick impressions, even "seasoned reviewers" have their own tastes, preferences, hearing apparatus, which can differ so much that you certainly aren't guaranteed the perfect choice by reading other's opinions (which is basically what a review is). All they do is give you suggestions, with enough detail, you may be able to decide if what the reviewer reports matches what you may like, but ain't no guarantees. Best off in that case, if money is an issue (and this constant hunt does get expensive, even if you stay out of stratospherically expensive stuff), buy "Bang for the buck" stuff like the Pistons, Gratitudes (a bit more money), etc, won't lose that much if your impressions don't match the current review consensus (and this does change over time, the consensus, that is).
Later...

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #19,573 of 100,730
they are MUCH BETTER than those Sony's. But if you're happy with the Sony's, then awesome! I'm happy with my Sony mp3 players over most others.

62794-marvel-mystery-oil-please-tell-me-more-thumb-jpg%3Fdateline%3D1356291458

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #19,574 of 100,730
Speaking of opinions/consensus, anyone have any experience with the Beyerdynamic T1? Great deal right now (on the Deals discussion thread),
http://www.sonicsense.com/beyerdynamic-t-1.html

(supposed to go down to $768 when you sign with them as a member (free))

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #19,575 of 100,730
Give people something to work with. Sound preference? (Bassy I guess?) price range?

well, I need extension on both ends but I can live with very little quantity, as long as it is extended to sub-base levels. I don't need bassy, I need technically proficient :) I want to try something different compared to sony,  something not as bass-heavy with more natural response throughout the frequency range. something not as laid back in upper range with more detail and comparable or bigger (if not, t least not overly small) sound stage.
fit style - any, as long as they are comfortable. over ear is aplus though...
detachable cables are welcomed. at least sturdy build quality.

budget is about 150$ (I'll be very hesitant to go higher).

am considering: Audio Technica IM70, IM02(but they are a little out of the budget); astrotec AX35; Dunu DN1000 (saw someone saying it was about 140$); Doppios (can't figure out how to order from japan), final audio Heaven II (where can I get those from? ) 

any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back