The discovery thread!
Jan 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #19,008 of 103,506
One of the big keys to figuring out a fake Piston from the real one , aside from obvious sound quality, and the real ones have TONS of sound quality, is that fakes can be spotted by having white L & R (left and right) on the housing stems. The real Piston has a blank smooth stem on the left, and raised ridges on the lower part of the right stem. This is how I can quickly tell what side is which in the dark. I'm sure there's other little things to distinguish?

This 
tongue.gif

By the way IEM, you are approaching the 1000 post mark REAL soon!! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #19,009 of 103,506
With me having a Xonar DG sound card, will I need an amp/DAC or just an amp? Not too sure what to get for my IEMs and M-Audio Q40s (Basically low impedance IEMs and 64 Ohm headphones). Looks like the Geek will be delayed a bit, not sure of any other 'smaller' options will suffice. I usually plug my IEMs/headphones into the front audio port on my computer so I'm not sure where I'd put the amp or whatever.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #19,010 of 103,506
How do you know the ridges are on the right? They're on the left with most phones.

Because a very reliable source on head-fi who lives in China said that's how the Piston do it. Just like Americans drive on the right side of the road, and Europeans and others the left side.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #19,011 of 103,506
 This :p

By the way IEM, you are approaching the 1000 post mark REAL soon!! :D

Approaching 1,000 posts with my DUNU DN-1000 approaching my mailbox! :wink: sweet!

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #19,013 of 103,506
How do you know the ridges are on the right? They're on the left with most phones.

With the Pistons the ridges are on the right earpiece.

Do not throw away that hard paper package because on it are instructions for wrapping it on the holder and the L/R orientation saying that the ridged one is the right. I was scratching my head when I got it because the two sides were *almost* identical until I reviewed the package.

There are other things written but I do not know how to read Chinese.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #19,014 of 103,506
With me having a Xonar DG sound card, will I need an amp/DAC or just an amp? Not too sure what to get for my IEMs and M-Audio Q40s (Basically low impedance IEMs and 64 Ohm headphones). Looks like the Geek will be delayed a bit, not sure of any other 'smaller' options will suffice. I usually plug my IEMs/headphones into the front audio port on my computer so I'm not sure where I'd put the amp or whatever.

The Q40s should be fine. Low impedance IEMs might be a problem because of the output on the DG.

If you're getting funny issues (ex. audible hum) you may need an external DAC.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #19,015 of 103,506
Got my H3s tonight. They sound so lush and full from the get go..Will have more on them once I get some burn in happening.

And yes these are tuned similar to my SRH1540s..Exactly what I was looking for!!

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #19,017 of 103,506
I ended up getting the Chinese cheapos and the DUNU. My hope , and this is a legitimate hope, is that the DUNU will end my search for awhile, and in doing so end the hurt on my wallet. I'd like the B3 to be good enough to end my search for a great dynamic ( the Piston are my go to dynamic IEM, but they just don't drive well on my X3, and I would like to single out the use of my X3 as my sole DAP) for awhile, for the same reason. I might come out of retirement for the Fostex if they build up enough warranted hype? Otherwise..DUNU forever?!

Are you sure about that? I just post about the DN-2000 which is releasing in February. I hope it come with detachable cable so that I change the cable with a mic.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #19,019 of 103,506
  Got my H3s tonight. They sound so lush and full from the get go..Will have more on them once I get some burn in happening.

And yes these are tuned similar to my SRH1540s..Exactly what I was looking for!!

congratulations  you got what you wanted!  looking forward DS to your review....
since Geek Plus delayed, i went ahead and got the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 dad  delivered today.  out of the box
sounds muddy and constrained, like music is squeezing through it. they recommend at least 20 hrs of burn in, but
I'm sure more than that would be more better.  my ol version 1.0 has thousands of yours on it and it just flows music
like water downhill.  can't wait to hear it sing with the new circuit and power improvements!

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #19,020 of 103,506

Congratulations Ds! Can't wait for your impression...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back