The discovery thread!
Oct 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #15,572 of 102,866
I'm back, finally got my PC up and running after the power supply blew. Still need to replace my dead Carbo Basso. I was looking at the XBA-H1 but not entirely sure what they're like. I suppose I just want something with a similar sound signature since I only really listen to kpop/EDM, but something that sounds 'better' (for lack of a better word) would be great. I don't want anything where the cable loops around your ear either like the MA750.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #15,573 of 102,866
How much bass do the DT990s have? Does it have punch and depth; also will it be enough for dubstep? My main issue with the AD900X is the lack of bass. It's not a big deal in most genres, but in electronic it's definitely noticeable.
Sorry, I missed your post initially. Dunno how I did that. :xf_eek: But yeah, DT990s have tons of clean punchy bass. It's a really fun basshead can. I kept the DT990s around for quite a bit as my party can, when I wanted to listen to dubstep, techno, ambiance, and the likes. It does ambiance really well because of the detailed treble and still has tons of kick. You can find a used pair here for 130 or so, I'd say they're worth trying out.
Not the X but, this is what you should expect in terms of bass.... :D

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #15,574 of 102,866
Sorry, I missed your post initially. Dunno how I did that.
redface.gif
But yeah, DT990s have tons of clean punchy bass. It's a really fun basshead can. I kept the DT990s around for quite a bit as my party can, when I wanted to listen to dubstep, techno, ambiance, and the likes. It does ambiance really well because of the detailed treble and still has tons of kick. You can find a used pair here for 130 or so, I'd say they're worth trying out.
Not the X but, this is what you should expect in terms of bass....
biggrin.gif

So, pretty much a more v-shaped version of the AD-900X. My main genre is metal, followed by alternative/rock, and then electronic. I've heard mixed feelings about the bass on these. Some say it's bloated and others say it's tight. I've also heard a lot of people say the mids are hollow or recessed. If I end up liking them more than the AD900X I won't be very happy since they are $50 cheaper xD

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #15,576 of 102,866
 Anyhow keep your eyes peeled, and your wallets at the ready for the upcoming Fostex TE-05.
 I saw their recent lower end model but this is great news.
Apparently to be priced ~$100. Detachable cables ( MMCX sockets ), 9mm dynamic

Ah the oneeyed site. 
I'm so hyped for this it's not even funny. A nice slough of $100 niceties might by coming by the cat's house in the next few months. R3, H1, Heaven II, and now this? Say it ain't so....

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #15,577 of 102,866
Hmmm....looking forward to the new Sony's, good chance it will be a great hybrid. And the Fostex-hopefully someone will hear it (is it available? Was it only on display at the show?)

Don't know what to make of this 750 stuff...definitely hear it differently than most everyone else. Like the Sony XBA3 better, and the Monster Gratitude, as I mentioned. Could it all be the fit problems? Could I have a bum pair? Could it be a Tea Party scheme? The plot sickens...

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #15,578 of 102,866
  Hmmm....looking forward to the new Sony's, good chance it will be a great hybrid. And the Fostex-hopefully someone will hear it (is it available? Was it only on display at the show?)

Don't know what to make of this 750 stuff...definitely hear it differently than most everyone else. Like the Sony XBA3 better, and the Monster Gratitude, as I mentioned. Could it all be the fit problems? Could I have a bum pair? Could it be a Tea Party scheme? The plot sickens...

you don't like how it sounds. that's pretty much it, yep. just get the H3,w e know it sounds angelic even without listening to it :D

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #15,579 of 102,866
Actually, not completely true that I don't like them...the fit doesn't work for me, don't like that, but actually do like how they sound. Just don't hear them as the ultimate iem, as many do, do like the sound of many other iem's I have more. Just sayin'...

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #15,580 of 102,866
H3 is definitely on the radar, though

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #15,581 of 102,866
considering the fact that H3 costs too much for a student like me, I've got my eyes on new Audio Technica Dual "symphonic driver" iems. yeah, IM70 - they are bright red but early impressions from japan suggest they are well worth the price they will most probably retail at (150 is full retail, should be somewhere around 100when they hit the market). also from audio technica, there are new balanced armature models and the IM02 seems to be a good variant for budget conscious. not to mention both have detachable cables (which is VERY welcomed) and over-ear design (also VERY welcomed)

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #15,582 of 102,866
The S2 on Amazon is dropping in price. I see it on sale for $102 right now. That is such a good deal for the Fidelio S2. Which kinda makes these a no show in competition to them

The forgotten RHA MA600. These retail for $80 and for the cash these do hit the right SQ in terms of sound. Basically to my ears these are what the RHA MA350 should have been. A much more refined version with better everything but also has a similar sound tuning of the MA350. Surprisingly detailed for being the more bassier brother of the MA750. A more consumer oriented sound..I can clearly tell the drivers of these iems are from the same stock that RHA used for the MA750..Bassy a bit warm sounding due to mid bass with good balance. Theses have average stage and depth and that is where they lose out to the other more refined phones including the MA750. The sound is actually quite pleasant and reminiscent of the NE-700s sound signature. These are not bassy enough to be bass head phones yet they have enough of a balanced detailed presentation to be usable for most types of music. These actually have the easier fit over the MA750 as they are physically smaller over the MA750. The housing seems to be the exact same housing RHA used for the MA350.. Seems they just used a higher end driver and a better more premium cord design.

The build is no where near what the MA750 is but they are solid none the less. These are light as the cord is half the thickness and use aluminum housing vs stainless steel. I can wear these straight down because they are light.. 

I found these match up much better on the DX50 more so than the X3..These sound good yet they will be the forgotten iems. I think RHA needs to sell these a bit less I would say in the $60 range and they will start to move these more so. As good as they sound who is gonna buy these when you can buy a higher end S2 for $20 more..These don't have the clarity, the depth or the higher end sound signature of the MA750, or the S2 but actually sound quite nice for their price..I was messing around with a borrowed Alo Continental amp hooked up to my DX50 and to my surprise these held their own against much more pricier iems I own..So they seem to scale well enough but this one is gonna be a hard sell.

$80 is a no mans price. It is too close to the $100 mark and we all know there will be some stiff competition in that price range. Now if they only lowered the price for these to $60 or less that is when these will be worth snapping up.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #15,583 of 102,866
Dsnuts: You mention these RHA MA600 sound reminiscent of the NE-700s. Price quibbles aside, would you say they're at all an improvement over the NuForces, or are they basically on even footing?

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #15,584 of 102,866
A/Bing both. The differences are the NE-700s sound and bit smoother overall. The NE-700 has the bigger bass to mids and highs ratio over the MA650. Both phones have a full sound presentation with their bass emphasis so that is where the similarities are but when directly comparing to the NE-700. The MA600 actually has the better clarity especially in the highs. Makes instrument detail easier to hear. I would say the mids are a wash on both as they both have good mids for your music.  Both have similar amount of depth and stage as well. Both are average for in ears. Both use some premium drivers the NE-700 Titanium and the RHA proprietary.

Out of the 2 I have to admit the MA-600s has the edge but its not a leap. You know after hearing the MA600 for the day. I can see guys that want some bigger bass emphasis to their music liking these more so over the MA750s..Just a thought.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #15,585 of 102,866
I'm not a basshead but I did enjoy the bass on the 990s. The mids are recessed slighty but made to seem worst due to raised highs and lows. If I didn't have the dt880s I probably would've kept the 990s.

How is the sound signature on the 880s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back